Attachment 8308
    Attachment 8309

6'8 length, widest point at 21.73" slightly back of center
    width at center: 55.18 cm
    width 1" from nose: 22.81 cm
    width 1" from tail: 43.57 cm

total volume: 39.5 liters

What's your opinion on this?
    the quiet flight "stingfish" is shaped kinda like that..only a little more refined. It's fast and turns great, but paddling not so good. Depending on how much you surf/your paddling, maybe try to get a little more balance between the front and back of the shape.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Jul 24, 2013 at 04:52 AM.

wow 17 pages huh? has anyone said SWAYLOCKS.COM yet?? best site ever, do some searches, read to forum, it has everything you could think to ask..

Quote Originally Posted by beagleagle View Post
    wow 17 pages huh? has anyone said SWAYLOCKS.COM yet?? best site ever, do some searches, read to forum, it has everything you could think to ask..
    LOL ten posts per page. Get with the times, brah

^^^^ pagination is the bane of the internet. Check yo settings and download autopager for firefox or chrome too.
    Last edited by goosemagoo; Jul 24, 2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    I need something to pass the time on weekdays after work and on weekends. Why not shape a board? It's educational, may improve my surfing, and won't cost too too much (will keep me from spending all my money on other crap). I'm just looking for some wisdom from people that have experience. What do first timers do every time that they shouldn't? What mistakes did you make your first time that you wish you could've undone?
    Your getting a lot of good advice...I'll throw this in.

You dont need a lot of tech to shape your first board.
    The first four boards i made were all shaped out in the sun, and glassed outside. All four of the boards shaped and glassed that way served me well for years. Was there a bit of waviness in the rails and bottom that better lighting would have pointed out? Yes. But they rode good to me, and to other relatively good surfers who tried them out multiple times.

Then i built a shaping room with the good racks and lighting, etc. After maybe a two or three boards your shaping skills are to the point where the better racks and lighting are something you will appreciate.

Advice: Get a close tolerance poly blank for your first shape, glass it in your garage COMPLETELY out of the sun with UV Cure polyester laminating resin so you can take your sweet time. You will need some styrene surfacing agent for the hoat coat. Get John Carper's Shaping 101 and glassing 101 and watch them over and over until you pretty much get all of the steps down and making sense.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jul 24, 2013 at 05:07 PM.

I plan on using a close tolerance PU blank but I want to get one much larger than the size I pan on shaping. I want a 6"8. Would shaping down a 7"3 blank throw my rocker off? I want to be able to use some of the extra foam to practice shaping rails.

idk, seems like getting a close tolerance blank, then hacking down that much might defeat the purpose. You might be biting off more than you can chew on this first board.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    idk, seems like getting a close tolerance blank, then hacking down that much might defeat the purpose. You might be biting off more than you can chew on this first board.
    Everyone bites off more than they can chew on the first board

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    I plan on using a close tolerance PU blank but I want to get one much larger than the size I pan on shaping. I want a 6"8. Would shaping down a 7"3 blank throw my rocker off? I want to be able to use some of the extra foam to practice shaping rails.
    Extra length has nothing to do with shaping rails...thats width. U.S Blanks makes a couple of 6'8" to 6'9" poly fish blanks that are like 24" wide. That would give you more width than you will ever need to deal with your rails.

With that said, i dont recommend using the blank for "practice". Educate your self about how to cut a clean template, bevel, screen and finish your rails. Then just go do it. Its an $80 hunk of foam, and theres a learning curve. Get good instructions such as the Carper videos, watch them closely and repeatedly, and ask someone whose shaped a board before to help you get started if thats possible.

Using a 7'3" to build a 6'8" will result in a slightly flatter rockered board than using a 6'9" blank. Its not a big deal if thats what you want. If you decide to go that route, and cut maybe 2" off the nose and 4" off the tail (or 3" and 3") you'll be fine. But the part about the longer blank for rail practice tells me you need to do more research before you buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Extra length has nothing to do with shaping rails...thats width. U.S Blanks makes a couple of 6'8" to 6'9" poly fish blanks that are like 24" wide. That would give you more width than you will ever need to deal with your rails.

With that said, i dont recommend using the blank for "practice". Educate your self about how to cut a clean template, bevel, screen and finish your rails. Then just go do it. Its an $80 hunk of foam, and theres a learning curve. Get good instructions such as the Carper videos, watch them closely and repeatedly, and ask someone whose shaped a board before to help you get started if thats possible.

Using a 7'3" to build a 6'8" will result in a slightly flatter rockered board than using a 6'9" blank. Its not a big deal if thats what you want. If you decide to go that route, and cut maybe 2" off the nose and 4" off the tail (or 3" and 3") you'll be fine. But the part about the longer blank for rail practice tells me you need to do more research before you buy anything.
    I mean literally I want to have a piece of foam that I can practice planing rail markers and blending them into a round shape. I'd only need a small piece