LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: TS Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    You east coasters throw the term, "Double overhead," a lot on here. You guys know that DOH is, like, 10-12 foot, right. Just because a wave is over your head doesn't make it "overhead." There's a lot of variables and waves aren't ruler-edge, perfectly verticle.

Do youse guys know how rare it is that the east coast is a rideable "Double Overhead?"
    in NorCal and Hawaii, double-overhead is 6-8ft. triple-OH is 10ft.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    idk, looks like some leftover waist to chest action going on right now in the southeast. All the reports are saying it's only knee high (on purpose?), but the cams say different...clean, too.
    The south east or Florida? We have like knee high and clean in SC.

Images
    Looks like the remnants of Dorian should still bring us a little swell down here in NC. I'm not complaining though, fun short period windswell in the water now. Around waist to chest and glassy this morning with no one in the water.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanO View Post
    in NorCal and Hawaii, double-overhead is 6-8ft. triple-OH is 10ft.
    So you're saying, that NorCal types use the crazy Hawaiin scale, huh? Because a six foot wave ain't double overhead.

No one should use the Hawaiin scale. Hawaiins are all wannabe gangsters and ice freaks. Oh they eat plate lunches too. A two story wave is NOT 8 foot. Man, those dudes are crazy. It will be four foot and they'll all be(insert Spicoli voice here) "Ho brah, shoots no waves, I tink any good. Let's go poun da kooks."

Here's how decent folk line it up:
    1 Foot - knee high
    2 Foot - thigh to aboot waist high
    3 Foot - waist to stomach .......There is 2-3 foot(small) and 2-3 foot(big)
    4 Foot - chest to neck
    5 Foot - head high
    6 foot - aboot a foot over a grown man's head. Look at your doorways in a normal home. 6 foot is a bit bigger than the top of the doorway

Don't start saying it's overhead until it is over 6 Foot.

KOKI - I love you, too. And as a matter of fact I said to myself, a few times this summer, " Where's Koki Barrels at?"

Mr. Yankee, you really need to start agreeing with me more often. The world will be a better place if FRIGGIN PEOPLE WOULD JUST START THINKING LIKE ME !! Whoooaaa got a little excited there.

And just to clarify, I wasn't being insultive when I axed if the SE was flat. Just wondering that's all. It's not like I'm going to check reports or cams for Florida. Ya know what it is that I be sayin' ?

Groundbreaking Update #2....It is flat as a sheet of glass here in South Florida..... and the Euro model was right again. Stay tuned for more Groundbreaking Updates.....

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    In time young padawan, you will learn the true meaning of surfing. It's so blatantly obvious, that i decided to let you figure it out for yourself.
    Great longboard surfing is like playing a long jazz riff. Great shortboard shredding is like speed metal punk. Both are awesome, just very different. Both are still music, but each has a different rhythm and beat. You dig? I guess good SUPing would be a waltz? A tango? Bad surfing is like watching someone chicken dance to the polka. I think the analogy has now been beaten to death, just like my summer of no waves.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    idk, looks like some leftover waist to chest action going on right now in the southeast. All the reports are saying it's only knee high (on purpose?), but the cams say different...clean, too.
    Not just the Southeast had a nice treat this morning...even the armpit (Delmarva) had some nice stomach to chest high long period SE swell sets mixed in every few minutes...two or three wave thick sets out of nowhere, 5-10 minutes of smallness, then more sets. All morning (except first thing from what I heard). really fun waves that I'm thinking had something to do with that invest that blew up off Hatteras yesterday:

Last edited by mitchell; Jul 28, 2013 at 07:33 PM.

Images
    Paddington: Your scale is off. You're not taking into account the swell period. 2ft at 6 seconds vs 2ft at 15 seconds are completely different. That's how the Hawaiins measure the scale. 6ft at 20 seconds hitting the reef at Pipe is going to be pretty damn big.

Not sure where it is waist to chest, but I was out there for 3 hours today around high tide. Mostly knee high, with an occasional set slightly bigger. Nothing close to what some are reporting. I was getting some really long rides. I am looking forward to more clean knee high rides on Tuesday. I just wish it were a foot or two larger.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Not sure where it is waist to chest, but I was out there for 3 hours today around high tide. Mostly knee high, with an occasional set slightly bigger. Nothing close to what some are reporting. I was getting some really long rides. I am looking forward to more clean knee high rides on Tuesday. I just wish it were a foot or two larger.
    I'm in Carolina Beach, NC. The size has dropped throughout the day, but this morning was solid and glassy. First day in a long time that was fun for a shortboard. I was out from about 7:45 to 10 this morning with just me and a buddy and plenty of fun ones to go around. Best session all summer for me.