LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: TS Dorian

ts dorian is dead.if it was anything special we'd see like 5ft at 16seconds.its like 3ft at 7seconds.big big difference..

and I agree with the above,jersey doesn't get double overhead waves too often.just because u get barreled crouched down,that doesn't mean its overhead.overhead is when u can stand in the tube,as its overhead!double overhead means u can fit 2 of u on top of each other in the barrel.triple overhead continues.in Hawaii,they measure the wave from the back,so 3ft hawaiin is like 8ft jersey.10ft is 20ft faces and so on.its been a good year for jersey after sandy but beach nourishment already started and they have contracts to fill from sandy hook to lbi,all in stages.the war has begun.i havnt been barreled since febraury and by the looks of it,we wont get waves like that til sandy part 2 hits us and takes the extra 500k tons of sand back out to sea

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I'm in Carolina Beach, NC. The size has dropped throughout the day, but this morning was solid and glassy. First day in a long time that was fun for a shortboard. I was out from about 7:45 to 10 this morning with just me and a buddy and plenty of fun ones to go around. Best session all summer for me.
    In Charleston, it was ankle high in the early morning. It increased with the tide throughout the day, to a max of a bit over knee high. Then it was starting to die of as the tide was going back out. Better than nothing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    In Charleston, it was ankle high in the early morning. It increased with the tide throughout the day, to a max of a bit over knee high. Then it was starting to die of as the tide was going back out. Better than nothing.
    Yeah I hear ya man. Gotta just take what you can get this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    So you're saying, that NorCal types use the crazy Hawaiin scale, huh? Because a six foot wave ain't double overhead.

No one should use the Hawaiin scale. Hawaiins are all wannabe gangsters and ice freaks. Oh they eat plate lunches too. A two story wave is NOT 8 foot. Man, those dudes are crazy. It will be four foot and they'll all be(insert Spicoli voice here) "Ho brah, shoots no waves, I tink any good. Let's go poun da kooks."

Here's how decent folk line it up:
    1 Foot - knee high
    2 Foot - thigh to aboot waist high
    3 Foot - waist to stomach .......There is 2-3 foot(small) and 2-3 foot(big)
    4 Foot - chest to neck
    5 Foot - head high
    6 foot - aboot a foot over a grown man's head. Look at your doorways in a normal home. 6 foot is a bit bigger than the top of the doorway

Don't start saying it's overhead until it is over 6 Foot.

KOKI - I love you, too. And as a matter of fact I said to myself, a few times this summer, " Where's Koki Barrels at?"

Mr. Yankee, you really need to start agreeing with me more often. The world will be a better place if FRIGGIN PEOPLE WOULD JUST START THINKING LIKE ME !! Whoooaaa got a little excited there.

And just to clarify, I wasn't being insultive when I axed if the SE was flat. Just wondering that's all. It's not like I'm going to check reports or cams for Florida. Ya know what it is that I be sayin' ?
    When it comes to you, Billy, it's the tenth man rule for me. Peace out

Images
    Swell Energy from the remnants of Dorian peaks on Wednesday for most areas.
    Nothing big, but should be fun for a lot of areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    Swell Energy from the remnants of Dorian peaks on Wednesday for most areas.
    Nothing big, but should be fun for a lot of areas.
    Thanks for the info. At least there are some scraps after that anticipation. Is this what's responsible for the unusually long period in the northeast mid-week? What specific areas are getting a good benefit from the remnants? Thanks again!

Dorian waves have yet to break on the east coast. The leading edge of the wave field arrives mon evening. Check the buoys and give it a look up close and personal tues and wed, you'll probably be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by still stoked View Post
    Dorian waves have yet to break on the east coast. The leading edge of the wave field arrives mon evening. Check the buoys and give it a look up close and personal tues and wed, you'll probably be glad you did.
    Thank you as well. Is this currently reflected in the extended surf forecast on SI and other sites? I see long period for the northeast then some decent swell bumps but with disorganized chop and short period. Should we expect the reports to sweeten?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Paddington: Your scale is off. You're not taking into account the swell period. 2ft at 6 seconds vs 2ft at 15 seconds are completely different. That's how the Hawaiins measure the scale. 6ft at 20 seconds hitting the reef at Pipe is going to be pretty damn big.
    My scale ain't off.

I'm talking what the actual wave faces are. I don't care what the swells are doing in the open ocean. I care about the waves at my favorite jetty. It don't matter if it's a 6 foot swell at 3 seconds or a 3 foot swell at twenty seconds........all I care aboot is the actual height of the wave faces.........at my favorite jetty.

So if Belmar was five foot due to a 2.5 swell height at 20 seconds.......you'd call the waves 2 foot or 5 foot?

Oh Yankee, what the hecks is the "tenth man rule?" Aw man, what kind of insult is that? Man, everyone is so vicious around here. It's safer in Camden.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    My scale ain't off.

I'm talking what the actual wave faces are. I don't care what the swells are doing in the open ocean. I care about the waves at my favorite jetty. It don't matter if it's a 6 foot swell at 3 seconds or a 3 foot swell at twenty seconds........all I care aboot is the actual height of the wave faces.........at my favorite jetty.

So if Belmar was five foot due to a 2.5 swell height at 20 seconds.......you'd call the waves 2 foot or 5 foot?
    MEET ME AT MY JETTY!!!

PB&J - how goes it bru?