LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067

    mixed bag of (mostly) fcs & futures fins for sale...

    too lazy/pressed for time to redo the whole post, so follow the linky:

    http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/sho...=0#Post2539314

    local pick up= $5 off the cost of all fins.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    too lazy/pressed for time to redo the whole post, so follow the linky:

    http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/sho...=0#Post2539314

    local pick up= $5 off the cost of all fins.
    Sent you a PM

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    K 3's & MF-1's are sold...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    updated w/ a few added sets on offer!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Promontorium Tremendum
    Posts
    853
    Images
    1
    why are fins so expensive?

    broke a fin recently, shopped around but ultimately declined to pay $60 - $90 for three pieces of plastic. i bought a set of these for $21.95 on Amazon, with free shipping:



    they seem to work just like any other fin i've ever used - go figure.

  6. #6
    Foam boards from Costco work too. And for only $98! Is that what you ride?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    why are fins so expensive?

    broke a fin recently, shopped around but ultimately declined to pay $60 - $90 for three pieces of plastic. i bought a set of these for $21.95 on Amazon, with free shipping:



    they seem to work just like any other fin i've ever used - go figure.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Promontorium Tremendum
    Posts
    853
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Foam boards from Costco work too. And for only $98! Is that what you ride?
    you know, i do in fact have a 8' Wavestorm from Costco. but it really doesn't work anything like my regular board.

    these knock-off fins from Amazon, however, work exactly like my FCS fins. what was your point, exactly?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    you know, i do in fact have a 8' Wavestorm from Costco. but it really doesn't work anything like my regular board.

    these knock-off fins from Amazon, however, work exactly like my FCS fins. what was your point, exactly?
    that plastic fins suck. anyone who claims not to be able to tell the difference between a good, high quality fiberglass fin & a crappy stock plastic fin is questionable as a surfer, IMO.
    you pay more for quality. the industry has everyone convinced that stock plastic fins are acceptable b/c they're light, but there's a trade-off (ie: loss) in performance. plastic fins are too soft, they flex too much/easily & don't return that flex back to the board in the form of energy or drive like a fiberglass fin does.
    Last edited by njsurfer42; Jul 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Promontorium Tremendum
    Posts
    853
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    that plastic fins suck. anyone who claims not to be able to tell the difference between a good, high quality fiberglass fin & a crappy stock plastic fin is questionable as a surfer, IMO.
    you pay more for quality. the industry has everyone convinced that stock plastic fins are acceptable b/c they're light, but there's a trade-off (ie: loss) in performance. plastic fins are too soft, they flex too much/easily & don't return that flex back to the board in the form of energy or drive like a fiberglass fin does.
    wow, after all these years, i'm questionable as a surfer. perhaps i should re-evaluate my existence all together?

    but so be it. i can tell you for certain that, in the short time i've had these (albeit on some chest-high surf, at best), i don't see a significant difference between these and the FCS fins they replaced. sorry to sideswipe your whole fin gig, but it is what it is.

    perhaps when it's overhead and barrelling, as mentioned above, i'll realize the gravity of my error. of course, here on the East Coast, it might be a while before that happens.

  10. #10
    Wasn't a knock on you. Just a question.
    My point is there are different quality products that have cost associated with them... Some may say that it's silly to buy a Ferrari when I can get a Honda. They both get you from A to B. But there is definitely a difference in the quality of the ride.
    Same with fins. Really depends on what your looking to get and your style of surfing.

    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    you know, i do in fact have a 8' Wavestorm from Costco. but it really doesn't work anything like my regular board.

    these knock-off fins from Amazon, however, work exactly like my FCS fins. what was your point, exactly?