LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    that plastic fins suck. anyone who claims not to be able to tell the difference between a good, high quality fiberglass fin & a crappy stock plastic fin is questionable as a surfer, IMO.
    you pay more for quality. the industry has everyone convinced that stock plastic fins are acceptable b/c they're light, but there's a trade-off (ie: loss) in performance. plastic fins are too soft, they flex too much/easily & don't return that flex back to the board in the form of energy or drive like a fiberglass fin does.
    wow, after all these years, i'm questionable as a surfer. perhaps i should re-evaluate my existence all together?

but so be it. i can tell you for certain that, in the short time i've had these (albeit on some chest-high surf, at best), i don't see a significant difference between these and the FCS fins they replaced. sorry to sideswipe your whole fin gig, but it is what it is.

perhaps when it's overhead and barrelling, as mentioned above, i'll realize the gravity of my error. of course, here on the East Coast, it might be a while before that happens.

Wasn't a knock on you. Just a question.
    My point is there are different quality products that have cost associated with them... Some may say that it's silly to buy a Ferrari when I can get a Honda. They both get you from A to B. But there is definitely a difference in the quality of the ride.
    Same with fins. Really depends on what your looking to get and your style of surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    you know, i do in fact have a 8' Wavestorm from Costco. but it really doesn't work anything like my regular board.

these knock-off fins from Amazon, however, work exactly like my FCS fins. what was your point, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    what fins are you riding now that you are selling these ones? or are you just riding different boards with different fin systems?
    i have 3 boards w/ FCS & 2 w/ Futures, so i'm cutting back on the amount of excess that i have. i still have 2 sets of SOARs & 2 sets of True Ames CI template w/ FCS bases & a set of True Ames CI template w/ Futures base & a 5 fin set of Futures MB-2. that really covers all my needs & gives me a set of back ups for each system. i like the SOAR & True Ames fins better than fins from the "big 2" b/c, in general, the quality is higher, the fins ride better (honeycomb True Ames are not as flexy as FCS or Futures of the same build), & the True Ames CI template is slightly larger overall than the FCS & Futures version...slightly more base length, a bit more tip area, not quite as swept back, & the rear fin is the same size as the side fins. the SOAR fins are identical in template to the MF-1, but in solid glass construction instead of FCS' "tricoil" tech, which i find a bit too soft for my liking. i like the template, but the build is just so-so.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    wow, after all these years, i'm questionable as a surfer. perhaps i should re-evaluate my existence all together?
    hey, don't get pissy w/ me b/c you came onto a thread i created to sell my old fins & started ****.

bump...only 2 sets left, both futures. AM-2 & QD-2 rears still up for grabs!

Anybody know what happened to njsurfer42? I bought a set of fins from him, but have neither received the fins nor heard from him directly since 7/24. Seems some others have had a similar experience on the SurferMag forum. Doesn't he work at a surf shop or something? Anybody out there in swellinfo land know what's up?

Quote Originally Posted by sheetglass View Post
    Anybody know what happened to njsurfer42? I bought a set of fins from him, but have neither received the fins nor heard from him directly since 7/24. Seems some others have had a similar experience on the SurferMag forum. Doesn't he work at a surf shop or something? Anybody out there in swellinfo land know what's up?
    IDK but I saw a shoe with a foot still in it washed up on shore in NJ the other day, had nail polish on the toes still, coincidence?

Dave's not here man?

I bought some fins off him in April and got em right away without a hiccough. Weird. Hope dude's ok

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Dave's not here man?

I bought some fins off him in April and got em right away without a hiccough. Weird. Hope dude's ok
    Yeah that's what I thought was weird, I thought he was a regular poster and had sold some fins to some folks before. Hope you're ok buddy (still would like to know what happened though)

Homey just got married in the last month or so, iirc.

I too hope he's ok, I want him to be around when I overtake him in Fantasy Surfer.