LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    [QUOTE=DawnPatrolSUP;179968]Juicing isn't the same as it use to be, most guys who are on PED's these days aren't massive bulky body builders, that's what a lot of anabolic steroids do, and in today's sports, it's not about that as much as it use to be. TRT and HGH is the way to go now a days. I know I already said this, but it seems nobody is recognizing or understanding what these guys are actually taking these days. If you think for one second that these dudes aren't on "something" then you're fooling yourself. I'm not claiming Kelly is taking steroids, because I think he's smarter then that, but I'm not so sure he hasn't dabbled with some TRT...."

** What DawnPatrolSUP said. Pay attention, kids; it's not about bulk & mass, it's about recovery & endurance. And that's what surfing demands.

Quote Originally Posted by biff22 View Post
    Yankee is full of ****.
    Always contributing to the discussion, aren't you meat?

Yankee, how about a snappy retort to the 15 or so people I listed who have dominated their sports who HAVEN'T been connected to PEDs? You want to talk about ignoring.....

Look, I completely agree that PEDs are prevalent in sports, I just don't think that excelling at a sport professionally is veritable proof of PED abuse. X athlete is an elite performer in his or her sport, so he or she automatically takes PEDs? I'm not naive enough to think that professional sports, even less "mainstream" ones like surfing, are free of PED use, but I'm also not pessimistic enough to think that no one from the last 20 years has had success doing it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    Yankee, how about a snappy retort to the 15 or so people I listed who have dominated their sports who HAVEN'T been connected to PEDs? You want to talk about ignoring.....

Look, I completely agree that PEDs are prevalent in sports, I just don't think that excelling at a sport professionally is veritable proof of PED abuse. X athlete is an elite performer in his or her sport, so he or she automatically takes PEDs? I'm not naive enough to think that professional sports, even less "mainstream" ones like surfing, are free of PED use, but I'm also not pessimistic enough to think that no one from the last 20 years has had success doing it the right way.
    wouldn't be surprised, against it, or care if it came out that dudes on tour do the blood doping, lance armstrong thing. in fact, i kinda hope they do. i want to see ripping. dance monkey dance!

I think its possible that slater is exposed to the latest and greatest peds but its possible that he's clean too.
    Surfing is a little different than say football or basketball. surfers don't have to generate all of the power themselves to excel. the waves supply the power and person supplies the balance. Keeping in great shape, a person in their 40's can certainly maintain the level of surfing they had when they were younger. Unlike other sports where when you lose your raw strength you lose your ability to perform at the same speed as the younger athletes.
    that being said.... I have to think that if slater is not in the water he's in the gym working on strength, endurance and eating right and resting, while some of the younger guys are out partying their arses off.... think a young Andy Irons.

Just check Slater for Backne next time he takes his wet suit off.

Quote Originally Posted by im way better than you View Post
    I love how you talk with such confidence like you know anything. I have friends who live in Hawaii and have lived there for 20 years. Andy was a raging drug addict. Meth, Coke, Prescription ...everything. He was a drug addict and he OD'ed and abandoned his family. Next, "everybody surfs equally good,and can do the exact same thing when the right wave"...Umm no. Parko cant do anything that JJF can do. Parko cant even do an air in a contest. Parko and Mick could not surf as good as Dane on his worst day. Twig Baker is worthless to the surf world.

I guess Dane is a home schooled kook? I would rather watch Dane Reynolds clip his toe nails than watch pancho Sullivan or occy do anything. The punk rock surf years are dead...thank God.

One of the greatest surfers of all time but coke destroyed his heart. It will ruin you if you start at a young age and hit it heavy. Andy himself basically said he was a drug addict...that's what destroyed him after his WCT wins...he didn't even look the same in later years. It was sad because I think he was mounting a true comeback with his win at Teahupoo and being on tour, but his demons caught up with him again. He said himself, if he didn't have surfing, his life would have fallen completely into oblivion (drugs).
    As for direspecting Occy, you lost me there man. Dane is an insane surfer but the entire tour was as messed up as he was at one time...Andy, Bruce, Wardo, etc. They were all out of their minds crazy and partying.
    Now it's just cookie cutter kids with coaches etc. I like the tour back when it was full of rejects.
    Last edited by stinkbug; Jul 26, 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post

I didn't say no one has had success without drugs, that's you changing the context. I said Slater dominates his sport as no one else in the world dominates their respective sport. And that has been proven to be impossible without PEDs assistance every single time it happened in any other sport. Surfing is no different.

You went bonkers on this topic, not me. I'm pointing out that PEDs have infused every single sport in this nation. Ergo by extension, yeah, Slater is suspect. All pro athletes are suspect. Who's kidding who here, there's no such thing as innocence in this land anymore. The money is overpowering as a lure to cheat.

I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.

People went bonkers when the baseball PEDs first started emerging. It was the baseballs that were juiced, not the ballplayers, remember that one? People were adamant, and angry, that drugs couldn't possibly help a guy be a better hitter - - hitting a baseball was hand-eye only, they claimed - - or a pitcher pitch better; people said that baseball was all about natural ability. And it was not true. PEDs made a huge difference in performance results.

There were articles in serious publications about Lance Armstrong's femur being slightly longer than other riders on the Tour; and this was why he was able to crush younger, stronger expert riders. Uh.....not so much....

Today's PEDs are subtle & very effective, very unlike the 'roids that created bulkasaurus athletes of yore.

All professional athletes have access to the best training methods, the healthiest diet regimens, the finest coaching, the latest top-notch equipment.....and they're all willing to do whatever it takes to get an edge on the comp.

Let me ask you this neflatness: since all top surfers on the pro tour have access to the same training aspects, as noted above, and they are all superb young surfers at the top of their game, how does one guy crush superb, younger, stronger surfers? Is he the one man of all time who is a physical freak of nature, somehow uniquely endowed with specialized surfing abilities that make him able to dominate the best of the best?

And, finally, the giveaway: no athlete, none, gets consistently better as they age. No way, no how. Unless they have PEDs 'help.' This has been proven in every single sport. Surfing is no different.

Open fire...
    Last edited by yankee; Jul 26, 2013 at 09:04 PM.

There is a big difference with surfing though. With all the sports listed PEDs are part of the program from the beginning. Anyone that played high school or college sports has been around them.

None of the guys I know that went pro were taking anything. So it's not as much of a given as the other sports.

As for Slater, he is well documented to be extremely cautious of what he puts in to his body. I really don't think he'd put sh*t in his body if he was not sure of the effects down the road... Plus, surfing is different from all the other sports listed. There isn't the same wear and tear that you get in football, basketball, baseball, cycling etc...
    Flexibility (which Slater is famous for) is way more important than anything else.

Is it possible, of course.. But I don't think so

RIP Andy

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    I didn't say no one has had success without drugs, that's you changing the context. I said Slater dominates his sport as no one else in the world dominates their respective sport. And that has been proven to be impossible without PEDs assistance every single time it happened in any other sport. Surfing is no different.

You went bonkers on this topic, not me. I'm pointing out that PEDs have infused every single sport in this nation. Ergo by extension, yeah, Slater is suspect. All pro athletes are suspect. Who's kidding who here, there's no such thing as innocence in this land anymore. The money is overpowering as a lure to cheat.

I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.

People went bonkers when the baseball PEDs first started emerging. It was the baseballs that were juiced, not the ballplayers, remember that one? People were adamant, and angry, that drugs couldn't possibly help a guy be a better hitter - - hitting a baseball was hand-eye only, they claimed - - or a pitcher pitch better; people said that baseball was all about natural ability. And it was not true. PEDs made a huge difference in performance results.

There were articles in serious publications about Lance Armstrong's femur being slightly longer than other riders on the Tour; and this was why he was able to crush younger, stronger expert riders. Uh.....not so much....

Today's PEDs are subtle & very effective, very unlike the 'roids that created bulkasaurus athletes of yore.

All professional athletes have access to the best training methods, the healthiest diet regimens, the finest coaching, the latest top-notch equipment.....and they're all willing to do whatever it takes to get an edge on the comp.

Let me ask you this neflatness: since all top surfers on the pro tour have access to the same training aspects, as noted above, and they are all superb young surfers at the top of their game, how does one guy crush superb, younger, stronger surfers? Is he the one man of all time who is a physical freak of nature, somehow uniquely endowed with specialized surfing abilities that make him able to dominate the best of the best?

And, finally, the giveaway: no athlete, none, gets consistently better as they age. No way, no how. Unless they have PEDs 'help.' This has been proven in every single sport. Surfing is no different.

Open fire...

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    There is a big difference with surfing though. With all the sports listed PEDs are part of the program from the beginning. Anyone that played high school or college sports has been around them.

None of the guys I know that went pro were taking anything. So it's not as much of a given as the other sports.

As for Slater, he is well documented to be extremely cautious of what he puts in to his body. I really don't think he'd put sh*t in his body if he was not sure of the effects down the road... Plus, surfing is different from all the other sports listed. There isn't the same wear and tear that you get in football, basketball, baseball, cycling etc...
    Flexibility (which Slater is famous for) is way more important than anything else.

Is it possible, of course.. But I don't think so

RIP Andy
    Well said. I have my doubts, as expressed, but well said. That's called a discussion, kids....unlike anything with a guy like neflatness or a guy like archycontrails who would likely try to hit me over the head with a beer stein if I dared offer dissent!