LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    As a removing addict I hate see to anyone die from addiction but especially someone who had so much talent and its a shame his son never got to know his father RIP Andy

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    The AI section in Still Filthy like plays on repeat in my head when I'm frothing.

That being said, Yankee - you really think Kelly is/was taking PEDs? Why? Just because you decided so? His body does not look remotely like someone who takes steroids. If you're positing HGH, sure maybe you wouldn't be able to tell looking at him, but he's a well-known health freak who's famously careful for what he puts in his body. If you think he's too polished/factory-made, so be it, but your PED claim has no shred of support whatsoever. He's not some like crazy yoked bulky dude - a lot of the other guys on tour are bigger and stronger.
    Be a fan, that's fine. But come on, be realistic along with your fan-aticism.

Armstrong didn't "look" like he took PED's.
    Lyin' Braun didn't "look" he took PEDs.
    Pro track & field just lost 3 world record holders who got busted.
    The majority of the pro cycling tour athletes are or were on PEDs at one time or another ... and those guys look like they need to eat a few more meals!

Point being, it's no secret that there are many PEDs that an athlete can consume that don't change body mass but do improve performance. Many PEDs improve the ability to recover really quickly in terms of anaerobic activity; isn't that what surfing is heavy on? Not being tired, able to turn & paddle into more better waves than your competitor?

You seem to believe that anyone can tell if an athlete is on PEDs by the physical changes in said athlete. It's just not so.

Second point: no athlete who dominates his sport as massively as Slater has done has been proven to be clean. None, no way, nada, no how.
    Clemens
    Bonds
    A-Fraud
    Sosa
    Armstrong
    Andy Pettite
    David Ortiz
    Shawne Merriman (many in the NFL are dirty)
    Marion Jones
    Ben Johnson
    FloJo
    Look at the ripped guys in the NBA....no way are they clean

Third point: in any endeavor, the criminals are always a step ahead of the enforcers. In the case of PEDs, there's billions of 'legal' money at stake in terms of corporate sponsorships & product endorsements, so it behooves certain sports to look the other way in re: PEDs.

My 2 cents.

Yes, I believe Slater has taken or is currently taking PEDs. Particularly in the years prior to 2010.

(And I like the guy, I'm a fan of his ability; he's classy & a gutsy competitor & a terrific representative for surfing. Love watching him surf.)
    Last edited by yankee; Jul 25, 2013 at 01:25 PM.

Former Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) mastermind Victor Conte. "Look at the biceps of Tour de France riders. They're 9-10 inches [in circumference]. We know they use anabolic steroids, specifically testosterone. For the most part, these drugs -- meaning the whole category of anabolic steroids -- are recovery drugs. They are very powerful. Would they be a benefit to an NBA player? Absolutely."

Charles Yesalis, a Penn State emeritus professor and sports doping expert, concurs.

"Distance runners have been using anabolics and growth hormones in very small doses for years," he says. "Not to build muscle. But to help recuperate. The myth of [PEDs] making you muscle-bound is so over."

It's a dirty world, bruddah...

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Charles Yesalis, a Penn State emeritus professor and sports doping expert, concurs.

"Distance runners have been using anabolics and growth hormones in very small doses for years," he says. "Not to build muscle. But to help recuperate. The myth of [PEDs] making you muscle-bound is so over."
    In today's sports dudes are using TRT and HGH much more than they are anabolic steroids. It's easy to get from a doctor and relatively affordable for them. The days of anabolic steroids aren't over but they aren't as widely used as the new kids on the block, which have far lesser side effects and similar or better advantages.

7. Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

The majority of the pro cycling tour athletes are or were on PEDs at one time or another ... and those guys look like they need to eat a few more meals!

Point being, it's no secret that there are many PEDs that an athlete can consume that don't change body mass but do improve performance. Many PEDs improve the ability to recover really quickly in terms of anaerobic activity; isn't that what surfing is heavy on? Not being tired, able to turn & paddle into more better waves than your competitor?

You seem to believe that anyone can tell if an athlete is on PEDs by the physical changes in said athlete. It's just not so.

Second point: no athlete who dominates his sport as massively as Slater has done has been proven to be clean. None, no way, nada, no how.
    Clemens
    Bonds
    A-Fraud
    Sosa
    Armstrong
    Andy Pettite
    David Ortiz
    Marion Jones
    Ben Johnson
    FloJo

Third point: in any endeavor, the criminals are always a step ahead of the enforcers. In the case of PEDs, there's billions of 'legal' money at stake in terms of corporate sponsorships & product endorsements, so it behooves certain sports to look the other way in re: PEDs.

My 2 cents.

Yes, I believe Slater has taken or is currently taking PEDs. Particularly in the years prior to 2010.

(And I like the guy, I'm a fan of his ability; he's classy & a gutsy competitor & a terrific representative for surfing. Love watching him surf.)
    So Jordan was on PEDs? Kobe or Lebron? Wayne Gretzky? Floyd Mayweather? Peyton Manning? Barry Sanders? Your argument sounds ridiculous. You make the most retarded blanket statements ever," Look at the ripped guys in the NBA....no way are they clean". What are you talking about??? The you list shawne merriman as a dominant player in the NFL? You clearly know close to nothing about sports. On top of the fact that your just wrong about dominant players in major sports all taking PEDs, we are talking about surfing. Its not Football, there is no contact. Just like MLB pitchers last much longer than NFL running backs, pro surfers last even longer. Slater has said he would take random tests anytime. I guess Laird Hamilton is on PED's even tho he does not compete at any level? Reggie Miller had to be on PEDs too, right? HAHAHA...INSANITY. It sounds like you are trying to justify your lack of athlete success by saying everyone is on something. They are not...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

Clemens
    Bonds
    A-Fraud
    Sosa
    Armstrong
    Andy Pettite
    David Ortiz
    Marion Jones
    Ben Johnson
    FloJo

My 2 cents.

First, I acknowledged you're not going to be able to see things like HGH, which are usually used for recovery, as you mentioned. But, as I also said, Slater is a known health freak, so I just don't know that he'd want to get into something that has been proven to be so damaging to the human body.

I'm not saying that you're going to be able to tell every juicer by physical appearance, all the time, the lack of change to Kelly's physical appearance is just one of the factors that contribute to my thinking he probably doesn't take PEDs. And Ryan Braun absolutely looks like he took PEDs, look at him in 2008 compared to how he looks now.

As for athletes who have dominated their sports:
    Michael Phelps?
    Federer? Djokovic?
    Tiger (I would put my money on him juicing over Slater, to be fair, but no proof here)
    Wayne Gretzky?
    Tom Brady? Peyton Manning? Or RBs, who are obvious candidates? Peterson? Chris Johnson? Edgerrin James? Marshall Faulk? Emmitt Smith?
    Pujols? Pedro Martinez? Halladay?
    LeBron? Jordan? Kobe?
    The list can go forever.

How does one prove to be clean? You only get proven to be dirty, in the absence of a positive test, people like you will always be wondering. And I don't know that "look at the ripped guys in the NBA....no way they are clean" is a strong case. No proof required, eh? Everyone in every sport is dirty then?

Lastly, Kelly has been the most outspoken surfer on tour about the need for a drug testing program.

I'm not unrealistic about PEDs in sports. I follow most of the "mainstream" sports very very closely and am fully aware of how widespread PED use is. And I'm actually not a huge slater fan. I obviously respect the crap out of him, love watching him surf, and think he is the greatest surfer ever and a terrific ambassador for the sport, but I generally root against him just cause he's won so much. I just don't see the PED thing when it comes to him.

Ha it took me too long to discreetly type that while pretending to work, didn't mean to post the same thing as you, im way better than you

10. Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    Ha it took me too long to discreetly type that while pretending to work, didn't mean to post the same thing as you, im way better than you
    No worries, glad the whole world is not half retarded. Great minds think alike.