LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

swept by big waves -- 1889

Dunno if anyone has seen this b4. It's a newspaper print from 1889 I thought it was interesting and shows what will happen again sooner or later. We are actually due for this kind of storm. Over due actually....It's from Sept. 18th 1889.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...CF&oref=slogin

Haven't we built sand dunes and things to protect the coastline since then? or were those things already in place when this occurred?

Images
    thats a cool dig up.

If a major hurricane (cat 3+) hits this area head on then there will be BIG time destruction - despite the protection efforts.

Images
    Ocean Pines might even become Ocean Front!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieInOC View Post
    Ocean Pines might even become Ocean Front!!
    indeed.

Delaware has some really vulnerable areas, like Dewey Beach, which in places is like 100 yards wide with maybe a 10ft sea level elevation.

Images
    I forget the name of the island which at one time was located off Long Island NY. It had hotels and the like built on it and no longer exists. Even today dishes from the old hotels wash up on Long Island beaches after storms. Given the crappy construction I've seen all over town, it is a given that someday a "Big One" is going to come along and do some serious damage to OC and the surrounding areas. Unfortunately, my home will probably be one of the ones lost.

Images
    Unfortunately, my home will probably be one of the ones lost.
    Mine too...... i'm a block and from the water. Scary **** man

Images
    I forget the name of the island which at one time was located off Long Island NY. It had hotels and the like built on it and no longer exists. Even today dishes from the old hotels wash up on Long Island beaches after storms. Given the crappy construction I've seen all over town, it is a given that someday a "Big One" is going to come along and do some serious damage to OC and the surrounding areas. Unfortunately, my home will probably be one of the ones lost.
    Yea you know what about the"Big One"? I call that (like Katrina, tsunamis, etc.) Mother Nature Taking it Back.

You can do what you want to protect whats on the coast or in the path, but if she really wants to, there's no stopping her.

Images
    fortunately, the delmarva area is NOT climatologically target for hurricanes.

I am pretty confident that Delmarva has never been hit by a major hurricane (cat 3+). And, I believe there has been only one hurricane to come onshore in Maryland a long time ago.

There have been plenty of tropical storms to come this way, but its a different ball game to have the eye of a storm come on shore.

We are protected a bit as NC takes the brunt of most storms, or the storms move further north to hit southern New England (cape cod area). This is not to say it can't or won't happen. One of my professors at UD, was the state climatologist, and he was telling us about the Doomsday Scenario for Delaware. This is if a hurricane moved up the Delaware Bay. Essentially pushing the storm surge up the Delaware Bay and drowning the areas the surround the Delaware Bays and Rivers.

The same scenario (prob more likely) can occur with a storm pushing up the Chesapeake and drowning out downtown Baltimore.

Wasn't it hurricane that created Ocean City Inlet in the 1930s? If so, does anyone know how strong it was?