LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I broke a guy's rod in NC, I don't think he had his drag set properly.

I live in NJ and the fall and spring striper run usually coincides with decent surf. So you get more fisherman and more surfers in the water. I stick to the idea of first come, first served. if a guy is fishing a jetty, dont paddle out there and ask for it. And if you are out there surfing, and guy comes up and starts throwing line your way, say something, most guys will move. if continues can cut his line on your fin. just like surfing, there are kooks in fishing too. most good guys know if you are surfing there, chances are fish are gone.

If this guy hooks me, I'm getting out and shaking his hand. Tough as nails.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...help-of-boots/

Quote Originally Posted by tuggernuts View Post
    I stick to the idea of first come, first served.
    Part of the Golden Rule.

There are asshats on both sides--like the aforementioned one in CB. Where were the lifeguards on that one!?!?!?

Bout two months ago I was surfing DP by Cocoa Pier, was first on the beach, sun wasn't even up yet, paddled out, was having a blast, then a few others joined me as it became light, and then a couple dudes stroll up with their gear, and start fishing from shore, RIGHT NEXT to the pier, rather than ON IT, which is what the pier was designed for I thought, guess they were too poor to pay to get on.

I have no issues with people fishing from ON the pier, that's to be expected and I don't mess with those guys, and they don't mess with us either (usually) but right next to it where I and others are surfing? Not only was I there first, but so were others, and it wasn't even crowded yet, it was an empty beach. So these j-offs kept casting right at us. I knew it was just a matter of time, and sure enough as I'm paddling back out from catching a wave I get a tug on my leash, yep, hooked, luckily not in my foot, or else I would have gone ape sh*t on these two, they wouldn't have stood a chance, but rather than make a scene and possibly get carted away in a police car, I let it go, since no "real damage" had been done.

Just use common sense fisher dudes, I too love to catch a fish, but youse guys never catch SH*T! NOTHING, NADA! Take your Ugly Stick and find a open spot with no swimmers or surfers, and you'll accomplish the exact same thing.

Images
    What pi$$es me off even more is when I find baseball size wads of fishing line on the beach or jetty complete w/ hooks/floats whatever. We should all clean up after ourselves and if I ever catch anyone doing that sh*t I'll be sure to say something. That makes me angrier than getting hooked.

Images
    What about surfers vs fisherman cyclists? Those guys are the worst.

Float, good question man.

Fortunatley never have to deal with this in SC (to many rivers, saltwater marshes, creeks etc.).
    But did have to a lot during summer in Maryland. I would always just paddle away. But one day it happened for the third time in one week, and I was in too good of a spot. So I paddled in (FURIOUS), and I intentionally - very calmly said "Sir, can I ask why you casted right in my direction instead of a little further down the beach?" After he had noticed me walking directly towards him he was definitley a little surprised at my tone. He said "You know what, you're right man! I'm sorry dude!" and moved.
    Guaranteed if I had said "What the F*CK??" He'd have just been like "that surfer was an asshole."
    You do it nice, that way, THEY feel like the asshole. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    What pi$$es me off even more is when I find baseball size wads of fishing line on the beach or jetty complete w/ hooks/floats whatever. We should all clean up after ourselves and if I ever catch anyone doing that sh*t I'll be sure to say something. That makes me angrier than getting hooked.

Yep, that $hit makes me see red.

It used to happen alot, but the surfers via Surfrider Foundation made peace with the pier fishermen by putting a sign up at a certain point as you paddle out that says now you must get away from the pier by a certain number of yards. They used to cast at us, hook us and cheer. Then they would get themselves and their gear thrown off the pier. Those days are over.

It is still prevalent in the preserve, these aggro kook fishing folk. Now that Florida is a stand your ground state, it is my prediction someone will get shot, and the triggerman will go free. Don't bring a surfboard to a gun fight. It is not worth it. Ask respectfully for the offender to move if you were there first. If they do not comply, let it go. But,if they cast at my wife or kid, its on like donkey kong! Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six. And they never do catch any fish, the jerkbags.