LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hurricane Memories (Good or Bad)

Andrew WK mentioned Hurricane Floyd in the Dorian thread and that got me thinking bout the Hurricanes over the years that stand out in mind for good surf, destruction, or ones where we hunkered down and got toasted. Obviously Sandy is still fresh in everyone's mind around here but it wasn't the first one where I saw the destruction first hand. Hugo back in 89 destroyed my Uncle's house in PR.
    The first one I remember surfing was Gloria waaaay back in 1985. Head high plus on a 70s single fin. You could say I took a serious beating. It didn't occur to me to wait for winds to turn offshore.
    The first one I really remember being in tune with was Hurricane Bob. Think it was 1991? We got that one good before it went up and clobbered New England.
    Two storms before Floyd was Dennis. I remember massive drops at the Wooden Jetty on LBI. Saved two kids who got washed out that day. Think it was labor Day weekend. I think that one is still me favorite.
    I'm sure the Florida guys have lots of stories. Let's hear em.

Hurricane Bill was probably the best couple of days in a row ever. Sandy on the other hand, no so much.

As far as destruction goes, Isabel is the worst storm I've experienced here locally ... granted, that doesn't compare to the devastation of Hugo, Andrew, Katrina, etc., but it was still pretty bad. Some folks near me, because of all the trees and power lines down never got power restored for around a month. Every night smelled like I was breathing in lawnmower exhaust with all the generators running.

Irene was a good one... 10-12' and barreling. The biggest and cleanest in recent memory. Huge, easily makeable tubes. If you got on it right as it cleaned up, before the wind got too radical, it was totally epic... all-time.

Images
    In another recent thread we got to talking about the summer of '95. I was a youngin' at that point so spent alot of time on the beach, but it just seemed to pumping all summer. Clearly remember Felix sending over a week of head high or bigger surf. The one that stands out for me was Luis, as it was my first experience in sizable point surf. It was a point that doesn't break that often, easily 8ft, bigger on the sets, again, it was my first experience in really solid surf, and after not geting any waves I started to get nervous and thought maybe I was fu**ed. Got one wave that day, and i'll never forget that wave. Went to watch Judith after our sesh, and it was easily 3x overhead. There was a catamaran headed out(why, i dont know), and swell heights were significantly taller than the mast. The ride in to Judith was nuts, you could see salt spray in the air almost from the seafood joint at that last intersection. Never forget that day, prior to that i had no idea surf like that could happen on the EC.
    Someone mentioned Isabel, that was a fun one for me too...got worked the weekend before from another cane swell. came back for Isabel and it was perfect, 4-6, offshores, and barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Irene was a good one... 10-12' and barreling. The biggest and cleanest in recent memory. Huge, easily makeable tubes. If you got on it right as it cleaned up, before the wind got too radical, it was totally epic... all-time.
    Irene was the first time surfing where I got out of the water and thought to myself, 'Damn I'm getting old.'

Hurricane Agnes, June 25th 1972, most perfect head high ++ A-Frames in O C MD ever over pure glass. Most resent was when Leslie stalled, really fun 3 day Sesh's @ NS, even kook's get lucky .........................

Images
    I thought Leslie was a good storm, that sunday(the 9th?) was really fun and clean.

Hurricane Floyd is my 1st memory of surfing a hurricane swell, I know there were some tropical storms I experienced before but none that I can name, too many storms around here to remember them all. But Floyd was a beast, got my ass handed to me pretty good that day, mostly due to conditions being nearly VAS, I wasn't savvy enough back then to know when it would clean up w/offshores, so I just went when I could and paddled into the teeth of it. 8-10ft is what I recall and I only managed a couple waves in two hours before I gave up and paddled in before possibly getting killed out there. The adrenaline rush was worth it though, what a feeling!

Hurricane Bill was another one that I wasn't ready for, out of shape and got pounded, but that's when I think I got motivated and got into proper surfing shape. Been many tropical storms / hurricanes since then that I've had much more success with, but the sessions are all starting to run together, It's going to take an EPIC and I mean EPIC session in order for me to remember the storm name and recall the exact waves I got.
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Jul 26, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Irene hit RI on a Saturday night.....I started out Saturday morning at PJ, surfed beautiful waves all morning before it got real big and the current became insane, so I moved northward a bit for more protection. Surfed for another hour and half before it was too much for the beachie to handle, so I moved northward to a real protected point break, and surfed for a few more hours before the storm got too close and the winds were all over it. None of the breaks were the best I've seen them, but I've never surfed clean overhead waves for as long as I did that day. Probably spent a solid 9 hours in the water in one day, went to my parents' spot in Gansett after and rode out the storm (bit of a dud for RI compared to what they were talking about at first) while completely unable to move because my back was so locked from paddling.

I was at school in Colorado during Bill and have never been so pained looking at the internet