LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    i kare even more
    what are you trying to be a wise-a$$, sandblasters?

i like your style.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChavezYChavez View Post
    Andrew WK mentioned Hurricane Floyd in the Dorian thread and that got me thinking bout the Hurricanes over the years that stand out in mind for good surf, destruction, or ones where we hunkered down and got toasted. Obviously Sandy is still fresh in everyone's mind around here but it wasn't the first one where I saw the destruction first hand. Hugo back in 89 destroyed my Uncle's house in PR.
    The first one I remember surfing was Gloria waaaay back in 1985. Head high plus on a 70s single fin. You could say I took a serious beating. It didn't occur to me to wait for winds to turn offshore.
    The first one I really remember being in tune with was Hurricane Bob. Think it was 1991? We got that one good before it went up and clobbered New England.
    Two storms before Floyd was Dennis. I remember massive drops at the Wooden Jetty on LBI. Saved two kids who got washed out that day. Think it was labor Day weekend. I think that one is still me favorite.
    I'm sure the Florida guys have lots of stories. Let's hear em.
    Haha thanks for the shout out.Anyone remember tropical storm Danielle from July 22 summers ago? She sent a massive E ground swel
    Last edited by andrewk529; Jul 30, 2013 at 03:59 AM.

Images
    [QUOTE=Koki Barrels;180443]what are you trying to be a wise-a$$, sandblasters?

i like your style.[/QUOT

well got to love that kenny powers pic! i really hope they renew another season i love it.
    but i really do care retro fishes are insane.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Irene was a good one... 10-12' and barreling. The biggest and cleanest in recent memory. Huge, easily makeable tubes. If you got on it right as it cleaned up, before the wind got too radical, it was totally epic... all-time.
    Irene was fun...surfed in front of Pelican Watch in CB, where the backwash would hit the incoming wave as you were taking off and bounce you off the face as you were dropping in.

the same day, i came up from getting soundly bounced off the bottom and discovered my nifty $200 Rip Curl watch had been stripped off of my wrist. kept surfing, but later prowled the shorebreak when i came in, hoping i might get lucky and find it...which i did not, but did find a megalodon tooth about the size of a half dollar. i never wore a watch again, but still have the tooth sitting on my desk.

Images
    I had an expensive Pulsar watch once. I lost that watch in the ocean...then dove straight down and actually found it. 'Bout a year later, lost the same watch...dove down and found it again.

Granted, I wasn't in a big hurricane swell, but you obviously have to dive down, immediately, and feel around the sandbar before the watch gets pushed away or covered with sand. Anyway, after that watch finally cracked and got water in it, I quit wearing watches while surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan7 View Post

The Summer/Autumn of '95, when some of the groms on here were created perhaps, after their parents celebrated a day/week/summer of solid surf
    That's some season. I remember someone on here saying that the best cane swells are when it comes up the coast then heads out to sea and stays there for a bit with its high winds putting steady energy into the waves to head to shore many hours later. No landfall is best case scenario for non-surfers obviously. Looks from the map that a handful made landfall and inland progression in the Gulf region which must have done some damage, though the east coast aside from Florida remained relatively untouched.

Not having been through a cane season yet as a surfer, is it really several weeks straight of substantial swell? The dates show that there were not many days where a hurricane system wasn't in effect. The map shows some of them stayed in the longitudinal Central Atlantic. Did these storms send good swell east? How close does a cane have to be to the eastern seaboard to make it crank?

This is a great thread to read with lots of great input. Keeps hope alive for what's ahead.

Images
    emass, the prime spot is like a cat 3+ storm like 100-200 miles west of bermuda that just parks itself there. well at least for the mid-atlantic anyway.

And no. depending on the storm and how fast it moves, cane swells can last a whole week or the swell windows can be a matter of hours. it all depends on the storms individual wind field and track. even pros and people from all over will flock to the east coast when a substantial swell might occur.
    Last edited by 757surfer; Jul 30, 2013 at 03:13 AM.

Question

[QUOTE=sandblasters;180684]
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    what are you trying to be a wise-a$$, sandblasters?

i like your style.[/QUOT

well got to love that kenny powers pic! i really hope they renew another season i love it.
    but i really do care retro fishes are insane.
    10-4 good buddy...just saw a preview for the final season of Kenny Powers the other night!

Agree with you there, just pulled out my retro fish, she had a lot of dust on her, but I think she's gonna get wet this week.

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    emass, the prime spot is like a cat 3+ storm like 100-200 miles west of bermuda that just parks itself there. well at least for the mid-atlantic anyway.

And no. depending on the storm and how fast it moves, cane swells can last a whole week or the swell windows can be a matter of hours. it all depends on the storms individual wind field and track. even pros and people from all over will flock to the east coast when a substantial swell might occur.
    Thank you for a great answer. Lets hope we have enough of them come our way this season that there's steady swell throughout.

[QUOTE=Koki Barrels;180937]
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post

10-4 good buddy...just saw a preview for the final season of Kenny Powers the other night!

Agree with you there, just pulled out my retro fish, she had a lot of dust on her, but I think she's gonna get wet this week.
    Why they gotta end certain things like Entourage and EBAD? It's like when a hero passes away too young.

What retro is it and what size? Been liking mine although I've liked the groveler even more, just not a ton of waves for the groveler.