LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have 4 kids. One of them always seems to be getting sick. Wink wink.

Car problems.

Images
    I usually go with the sh*ts, can't be proven or disproven...fall to spring I do the lozenge thing the day before, look all tired, cough a couple times, etc. The key(IMO) is to actually go to work when you're sick, that way all sick time=surf time.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    The key(IMO) is to actually go to work when you're sick, that way all sick time=surf time.
    ^ this. In addition to added surf time, people are gonna believe you're really hurting bad for you to call in sick when they saw you at your desk with a 102 fever a month earlier

I make the boss give ME an excuse as to why I wasn't there

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I usually go with the sh*ts, can't be proven or disproven...
    Fact.

First used the following for real like ten years ago. Realized it was genius. Have used it twice for surfing:
    "My girlfriend's passing a kidney stone, I gotta take her to the hospital."

Images
    you can only kill of so many members of your family, so death in the family has limitations. illness often requires faking symptoms, which is cheesy, at best. sick kids works to a point, but since small kids get sick a lot, you may need that one for the real thing. cable guy is coming, toilet overflowed etc etc - those are one-off excuses - not good for repeat use.

i find dental problems to be the most versatile excuses...dental problems can pop up at a moment's notice (toothache, crown fell out, etc etc), easy to come back from without having to fake any symptoms (and no one wants to look in your mouth to see your problem), often requires a followup useful for the next swell (have to go back to get the permanent crown put on), easy to plan around a tide or wind change, easy to change on the fly for shifting surf conditions (the doc rescheduled my appointment), easy to extend as needed (the doc gave me painkillers, which means i can't drive) and can be used over and over, year after year.

My office is 2 blocks from the water and my boss surfs. So I'm pretty lucky and don't need an excuse he knows what's up. It's awesome

karma karma karma.

most jobs I had i worked hard so when waves came up, the bosses were pretty cool with me leaving. i only had one job where the ownership changed hands, and they called me out on it. i quit that job. now i'm self employed and all my customers know the deal.

honesty is the best policy.

now lets hear it. i know you guys are gonna crack on me somehow.

Those old jobs back when you worked for the Pentagon or Monsanto?

Quote Originally Posted by archy View Post
    karma karma karma.

most jobs I had i worked hard so when waves came up, the bosses were pretty cool with me leaving. i only had one job where the ownership changed hands, and they called me out on it. i quit that job. now i'm self employed and all my customers know the deal.

honesty is the best policy.

now lets hear it. i know you guys are gonna crack on me somehow.