Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

costa rica in january?

hello all,

I've been checking the forum out for a while now and have never posted the "hello" thread I've seen mentioned by some. anyway, i'm here in the dirty jersey and am checking out taking the family to costa rica for a week or so in January, and was wondering if anyone has ideas about the places to go/places to avoid. i'm leaning more towards the no-frills experience, rather than the fancypants vacation, and would like to get a chance experience costa rican culture in addition to the waves

My three boys are all under 10 years old so that's one thing i'm considering, as well as that while my wife likes to surf, she probably isn't ready for anything much over chest/head high.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and insights.

Images
    costa rica is expensive go to the congo

Images
    costa rica is expensive go to the congo but i mean if your goal is chest high and smaller you should be happy. i suggest jaco your family will love it!!!

Recently, many surfers (5 in 12 months) have been attacked by crocodiles in the Tamarindo area. And I am not kidding. Place kinda sucks as well, imho. Others may opine differently than me, but I am smarter than they are.
    Go elsewhere, unless, of course, you want to feed your kids to the crocs to avoid paying college tuitions.....

pffft they could do the same thing at disney barry

Quote Originally Posted by stankasaurus View Post
    pffft they could do the same thing at disney barry
    Yup...and the surf would be mo' betta...

And now they're being sued for a snake bite in the pool area too, so much wild life at Disney, go there!

Quote Originally Posted by haolemc View Post
    hello all,

I've been checking the forum out for a while now and have never posted the "hello" thread I've seen mentioned by some. anyway, i'm here in the dirty jersey and am checking out taking the family to costa rica for a week or so in January, and was wondering if anyone has ideas about the places to go/places to avoid. i'm leaning more towards the no-frills experience, rather than the fancypants vacation, and would like to get a chance experience costa rican culture in addition to the waves

My three boys are all under 10 years old so that's one thing i'm considering, as well as that while my wife likes to surf, she probably isn't ready for anything much over chest/head high.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and insights.
    Nosara, Mal Pais, or Manuel Antonio are best options with wife and kids. MA and Nosara will cost you more but Nosara is best for family and surf but can get crowded. MA has the national park and lots of nature around. Mal Pais is one of my personal favorites. More spread out, more variety of places to stay, consistent surf and can find nice beach break when it is small and some more slope-y waves too depending on part of the beach. Both Nosara and MA are more 'surf only' spots but there are other things around to do and see.

Recommend car for sure no matter where you go. Everywhere is pricey in January.

Lots of resources on all these spots out there, but PM me if you want more info. Lived down there for a bit and married a Tica so pretty familiar with most of the country.

mal pais literally translate to bad place, fyi

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Recently, many surfers (5 in 12 months) have been attacked by crocodiles in the Tamarindo area. And I am not kidding. Place kinda sucks as well, imho. Others may opine differently than me, but I am smarter than they are.
    Go elsewhere, unless, of course, you want to feed your kids to the crocs to avoid paying college tuitions.....
    i dont really like costa that much myself.