LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    They say the ultimate is better than sex, but not quite as good as the perfect wave.
    Haha! While it has the speed, movement, strategy, and versatility of my favorite sports, I've never accepted Ultimate because I'm not into the intramural/softball/beer league thing. Too trendy like Cross-Fit, Yoga (now Barre), SUPs, triathlons (some are the "real ones", while others train 1x/wk for an "ironman"), and Tough Mudder (how tough are you?). I'm sure those things were all BA and full of HAMers at their onset, but I'm out when something's a gimmick. Crap, it's even happened in MA and MMA with McDojos.

Oh wait, isn't there a brand new thread today a out how this happened in surfing? You're all right though. The problem is, when dedicated athletes in training and competition put time into their sport, it's usually at a venue and environment that's developmentally appropriate for them. The DA factor is imperative for the noobs and intermediates as well. For safety, efficacy, and enjoyment, the "playing fields" need to be stratified so all can enjoy those three core objectives. Problem is, at your typical summer beach break that's not bombing, it's a one-room schoolhouse with all levels intermingled. Doesn't happen near as much at reefs and other breaks of higher danger and challenge.

I've seen this happen in my primary sport, so I know what you guys are feeling. And being someone who's in the water every day no matter the temp, despite just coming up on my 6-month mark, I'm no happier than you are when those around us who don't have the same objectives (or any) impede on our experience that day. In any walk of life, subculture, or activity, there will always be the majority who are mildly competent but recreational participants, a fair amount of noobs and wannabes and never will be's, then a minority of dedicated real ones.

My buss if this was more fit to be in the other thread that just started.
    Last edited by EmassSpicoli; Jul 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM.

Happened on a small day as it usually does. Popped up under the board after a wipe out; had no idea the board was above me. ALWAYS cover your head!!!!

photo.jpg

...fins are evil!

Images
    ate sh;t popped up under my board got a fin in between the eyes and forehead. a little blood not an injury more of an annoyance .

Quote Originally Posted by rstoup View Post
    Happened on a small day as it usually does. Popped up under the board after a wipe out; had no idea the board was above me. ALWAYS cover your head!!!!

photo.jpg

...fins are evil!
    So true...anytime I wreck I stay under water for as long as possible with both arms wrapped around my head. This gives the board time to be pushed toward shore and away from me. If possible, I wait for the subtle tug from the leash, which tells me my board is 8ft away.

Last week I had a rail hit right in that tender spot just to the inside of you shin. No blood, no bruise, but holy hell...the pain was pathetically immense. When I got back out past the break I could hardly breathe it hurt so damn bad. I was terrified that I'd have to call it a day, but then I remembered that I'm a man, and it is my duty to never let boo-boos deter me from shredding gnar.

Images
    costa rica in april, was surfing a huge swell got some waves in then rode on to far inside and didnt feel like paddling 20 minutes to get back outside so i caught some white water in jumped off staight onto volcanic reef rock. my feet were so cut up but i said **** it and limped back to the beach everyday to surf.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Haha! it has the speed, movement, strategy, and versatility sports, I've never accepted Ultimate because I'm not into the beer thing.
    trendy like Yoga (now Barre), SUPs, triathlons (some are "real ones", ir onset, but I'm out gimmick. Crap, it's McDojos.
    My buss if he other thread that just started.

Help us, Buddha, it's going to hit 1k posts by tomorrow...

Due to flatness my latest injury has been emotional stress!

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    costa rica in april, was surfing a huge swell got some waves in then rode on to far inside and didnt feel like paddling 20 minutes to get back outside so i caught some white water in jumped off staight onto volcanic reef rock. my feet were so cut up but i said **** it and limped back to the beach everyday to surf.
    My feet hurt so bad in Costa Rica doing the rock dance. And nobody wears footwear in the water, it just labels you as a total kook. And the tide shifts so much, that getting out after the tide drops and walking over 50 yards of sharp, slippery rocks to get back in is excruciating. And I thought titty rash was bad.

Calf had a fvcking seize up/spasm attack when surfing this december. Just sittin in the lineup and and tensed up so hard it pulled the **** out of itself. I wouldn't have been able to walk back to the car but I wasn't wearing booties so all the feeling in my feet were long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Help us, Buddha, it's going to hit 1k posts by tomorrow...
    Don't be presumptuous. I may toy with your fragile emotions and let it ride at 999 for a few days. Who's to say I won't leave and reincarnate as Spicoli83, EmassO, Charles Spicoli, or Paddington Emass Bear? You know I'd never let you buoys get bored.