LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Brah, you got to start putting your time to things that excite you
    I think at close to 10 posts per day you should take your own advice, get off your a$$, and go surf. I'll leave it at that in hopes your posts per day turns into the amount of waves you catch per day. (sorry if 10 is an unrealistic number of waves in a day for you, hopefully I'm not setting the bar too high)

"OMG... Look at all the pages directed at me! I finally made it! It doesn't matter if it's good or bad. So many words and they're all about MEEEEEE! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Priapism!!

For me, I tore mid-rib cartilage off the bone during a circuit training workout in February then had it pop back out when I fell off the side of my board after botching a takeoff. At that point, I was only a couple days out from the initial injury and the obliques and abdominal muscles were still very angry at me. I had to take slow steps all the way back to the truck and was reluctant to take a deep breath the whole ride home. That ride is all of 3 minutes but felt like 30. Then it took me 45 minutes in the shower to get my 7mm boots off as any position other than fully upright felt like I was getting shanked by waterbaby's rusty Civil War hand-held bayonet. The 6/5 was easier to get out if but not by much and that took 20-30 minutes. I've had bruised ribs before and while those and broken ribs are living hell for 8-12+ weeks, this hurt more in the acute 24-48 hour stage.

Was able to find one position I was able to sleep comfortably in and that was out on the living room couch. Parked myself there for 8 weeks each night. Weird thing was that no weights, cardio or MMA aggravated it further. Only things that would give me pain were surfing and sex. Wasn't going to go a day without water time in my grommiest grom stage (I was 2 weeks in), so it was limiting female visitors to only 2 nights per week total and no more than one round each. Surfing only hurt it during some sessions while any form of "the act" put me in pain for the next 3 days. Managed to make it out alive.

It's called slipping rib syndrome. It may hinder your sex life to some extent, but don't ever let it stand in the way of your stoke.
    ------------

I have slipping rib syndrome. Got it jumping out of the bed of a pickup truck of all things. Landed hard flat footed and felt a weird sensation in my rib. More bizarre than painful.

It never fully went away, but I only feel it if I duck dive forcefully, or when I paddle extra hard to catch a wave. Mine never created intense pain, and when it bothers me, it feels like a twinge or a shock, as weird as that sounds.

last surf injury for me was a torn calf muscle. Actually, a re-tear of a previously torn muscle. On the inside after a ride pushed extra hard off the bottom with my right leg to jump back on my board and wham, Felt kind of like getting smacked in the back of the leg with something. Almost an audible pop. I regrouped on the beach for 10 min and the in true A-hole fashion tried to surf...bad idea. I couldn't do a bottom turn, my leg wouldn't take any pressure. Then going home it started twitching and having spasms. Eventually got an MRI to show it was a mess, and rehabbed it properly...so far so good.

Broke my hand earlier this year chasing my kids through a bounce house obstacle course at Jersey Jump at a 5 year old birthday party. That was pretty embarrassing. Heard the pop and immediately knew what I did, but kept a low profile the rest of the party. Couldn't tie my kids shoes when it was time to leave...pathetic. Ended up with a full cast to my elbow which I sported for a month, then had a removable one after that. Kept me out of the water for a full month, but when I went back in the cold water and the tight gloves were actually soothing.

Weirdest for me was when I stepped on some type of sea creature. It was in NJ after a hurricane, and whatever it was it left 3 prongs in my foot. They looked like small plastic fork tongs, about 1-1.5 cm in length. The whole experience was bizarre. Some guy on the beach saw me bleeding and said he was a medic in the army, grabbed a medical kit, and pulled one out with tweezers, then said sorry I cant get the other two and walked away. I was like, uh, OK thanks I guess. My roommate and I got the other two out with a Leather-man. Ruined that session but was able to surf the very next day with it all taped up.

Another time a crummy pair of board shorts with a rough seam left my twig and berries chaffed to all hell. I've never worn board shorts commando style since.

I had the same slipping rib issue... Went to PT that was recommended and haven't had it since.
    He cracked my back in the perfect spot that I would feel it in between the ribs that would slip. He did that for a few weeks and that was it. Bothered me for years and he fixed me in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
    ------------

I have slipping rib syndrome. Got it jumping out of the bed of a pickup truck of all things. Landed hard flat footed and felt a weird sensation in my rib. More bizarre than painful.

It never fully went away, but I only feel it if I duck dive forcefully, or when I paddle extra hard to catch a wave. Mine never created intense pain, and when it bothers me, it feels like a twinge or a shock, as weird as that sounds.

last surf injury for me was a torn calf muscle. Actually, a re-tear of a previously torn muscle. On the inside after a ride pushed extra hard off the bottom with my right leg to jump back on my board and wham, Felt kind of like getting smacked in the back of the leg with something. Almost an audible pop. I regrouped on the beach for 10 min and the in true A-hole fashion tried to surf...bad idea. I couldn't do a bottom turn, my leg wouldn't take any pressure. Then going home it started twitching and having spasms. Eventually got an MRI to show it was a mess, and rehabbed it properly...so far so good.

Broke my hand earlier this year chasing my kids through a bounce house obstacle course at Jersey Jump at a 5 year old birthday party. That was pretty embarrassing. Heard the pop and immediately knew what I did, but kept a low profile the rest of the party. Couldn't tie my kids shoes when it was time to leave...pathetic. Ended up with a full cast to my elbow which I sported for a month, then had a removable one after that. Kept me out of the water for a full month, but when I went back in the cold water and the tight gloves were actually soothing.

Weirdest for me was when I stepped on some type of sea creature. It was in NJ after a hurricane, and whatever it was it left 3 prongs in my foot. They looked like small plastic fork tongs, about 1-1.5 cm in length. The whole experience was bizarre. Some guy on the beach saw me bleeding and said he was a medic in the army, grabbed a medical kit, and pulled one out with tweezers, then said sorry I cant get the other two and walked away. I was like, uh, OK thanks I guess. My roommate and I got the other two out with a Leather-man. Ruined that session but was able to surf the very next day with it all taped up.

Another time a crummy pair of board shorts with a rough seam left my twig and berries chaffed to all hell. I've never worn board shorts commando style since.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    "OMG... Look at all the pages directed at me! I finally made it! It doesn't matter if it's good or bad. So many words and they're all about MEEEEEE! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!"
    Exactly.....

i was stung by a jellyfish and insisted on being airlifted to the nearest trauma center.

Stabbed in left foot by fin on Gloria swell. 10 years later got stabbed in right foot in VB by a cool surfer with kelp cutting fins. Multiple bashs to the head, messed up shoulder from being augered into sand bar. Massive debilitating nip/ thigh rash.

Stingray got me in Nosara,painful can describe it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
    ------------

It was a mermaid according to animal planet

Images
    kicked out of a nothing wave on Sunday, rolled off my board, came up with the usual precautions (arms up in front of my face), and yet somehow managed to take a fin to the mouth, resulting in a 3/4" long, deep, clean slice running from my lip up towards my nose. hurt like a mother and probably stitch-worthy, but i patched it up with Liquid Bandage (which i had never even heard of before) and it seems to be healing nicely. could have been much worse...