LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaKiel View Post
    Haha I dig this southern pride

Nobody is moving south. They're all moving north. That's why there aren't huge numbers of New Englanders for instance living down here now. They definitely don't talk about how much better it is up there either.
    Beg to differ, Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, NC are being invaded by northerners as we speak. There was even a front page story on it yesterday the other day. If I had a nickel for every time somebody from jerzee asked me where to eat at the beach, I could open my own damn resturant.

By the way, what's yall's favorite response to tourists asking directions? I always send em' all the way to the north end where there aren't in places to grub

Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    Beg to differ, Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, NC are being invaded by northerners as we speak. There was even a front page story on it yesterday the other day. If I had a nickel for every time somebody from jerzee asked me where to eat at the beach, I could open my own damn resturant.

By the way, what's yall's favorite response to tourists asking directions? I always send em' all the way to the north end where there aren't in places to grub
    Nice. You screw people over who are asking for directions? WTF tool. Send your hick arse north, the minute you leave the 'spressway & can't find you a Motel 6, you're cryin' for help. You got some bad karma, sparky.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    Thats like saying the British cook better than any American food, nucking futs. The south always has and always will have better cooking. And if you can't even cook BQ, you can't even qualify to be considered better than southern food. Lets talk NC/SC vs. Texas BBQ.
    really? what color is the sky in your world? Southern cooking is atrocious. everything is either deep-fried or boiled/baked to death - taste, texture, and freshness are drowned in grease. northern cooking invariably incorporates the best of other cultures whereas Southern cuisine primarily consists of deep-fried breaded objects. (not even sure there is such a thing as Northern cuisine, whereas there is most definitely a Southern cuisine). it's no accident that the highest rates of heart disease are in mostly in Southern staes. here's a tip for travellers: if you're driving through the South and the restaurant says anything like "Granny's" or "Mom's" or "Home cooking" or "Country Cooking", run away.

all that being said, NC barbeque does rock.
    Last edited by hanna; Jul 31, 2013 at 03:46 AM.

I like shrimp.
    Says Bubba Blue from the movie Forrest Gump:
    “Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it.”

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Nice. You screw people over who are asking for directions? WTF tool. Send your hick arse north, the minute you leave the 'spressway & can't find you a Motel 6, you're cryin' for help. You got some bad karma, sparky.
    Haha calm down with the name calling man I was just doing a little trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    really? what color is the sky in your world? Southern cooking is atrocious. everything is either deep-fried or boiled/baked to death - taste, texture, and freshness are drowned in grease. northern cooking invariably incorporates the best of other cultures whereas Southern cuisine primarily consists of deep-fried breaded objects. (not even sure there is such a thing as Northern cuisine, whereas there is most definitely a Southern cuisine). it's no accident that the highest rates of heart disease are in mostly in Southern staes. here's a tip for travellers: if you're driving through the South and the restaurant says anything like "Granny's" or "Mom's" or "Home cooking" or "Country Cooking", run away.

all that being said, NC barbeque does rock.
    We do fry more things down here, but that's just a stereotype you put on us. Not going to list every type of food out there but come to a town on the coast were some people know how to cook and you'll find some good food that isn't deep-fried, breaded and drowned in grease.

Images
    interesting thread. First off, I will chime in and say that South Carolina BBQ is probably my favorite, followed by NC and then Texas. All very good, but im on an SC BBQ kick right now.

As far as the North Vs. South Food, I will have to say that is a wash. There are more quality places in the North, but most of them are not even regional food, I.E. New York and NE have a ton of great restaurants that are all run by foreigners and don't really have anything to do with their region. Also with the higher populations in all the Northern cities, the percentages of good restaurants to people is not that much... Anyway, in the dirty south, there are plenty of smaller cities that rival anything up North, even NYC. I.E. Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC and even tiny HHI. They all have world class cuisine with a southern draw. The creole. The low Country Boils. The hoppin Johns. The crawfish. The seafood. We got a lot of good seafood.

But, as a guy who is from the DC/MD area, who lived in Southern CA for 10 years and now lives in SC, I will say this, California, LA/SD/SF hands down beats both the north and south, first off in surf, obviously but in cuisine too. All mexican food aside, all the cities out west are 5 years ahead of the curve as far as trends in the culinary world and how its executed. It is the starting point for what to eat in america, with NYC coming in a close second to SF, but there is nothing outside of NYC in the north that can even compare to LA or SF... So, I would say the NE and the SE is fighting for second place =)

As far as live as a surfer, while MD and Jerz have some better stretches of waves, I would take living down here in SC any day as a surfer. Warm water almost all year. Trunking it for 8 months out of the year. Hell, the water yesterday when I surfed was 87 degrees. I trunked it until Thanksgiving last fall and was out of my wetsuit in late march. Waves arent always great, but the Carolinas have The Outer Banks. South Carolina has dozens of small islands that are graced with good surf when swell is around, and then you got Florida holding it down too. So, surfing life may be a wash, but to be able to really enjoy the ocean all year. Rocking a 2 or 3 mil for a couple months and surf alone all winter with no one else around and having clean offshore conditions to yourself aint bad at all. And our crowds only last about 2 months, but they do give us surf zones all over the island, so I feel like surfers get a lot more to play with than the MD and JER areas that are all whored out every summer to swim zones and touristas....

But yeah, the south does have world class cuisine and the little diners and dives got a lot of character....
    Last edited by zach619; Aug 1, 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    interesting thread. First off, I will chime in and say that South Carolina BBQ is probably my favorite, followed by NC and then Texas. All very good, but im on an SC BBQ kick right now.

As far as the North Vs. South Food, I will have to say that is a wash. There are more quality places in the North, but most of them are not even regional food, I.E. New York and NE have a ton of great restaurants that are all run by foreigners and don't really have anything to do with their region. Also with the higher populations in all the Northern cities, the percentages of good restaurants to people is not that much... Anyway, in the dirty south, there are plenty of smaller cities that rival anything up North, even NYC. I.E. Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC and even tiny HHI. They all have world class cuisine with a southern draw. The creole. The low Country Boils. The hoppin Johns. The crawfish. The seafood. We got a lot of good seafood.

But, as a guy who is from the DC/MD area, who lived in Southern CA for 10 years and now lives in SC, I will say this, California, LA/SD/SF hands down beats both the north and south, first off in surf, obviously but in cuisine too. All mexican food aside, all the cities out west are 5 years ahead of the curve as far as trends in the culinary world and how its executed. It is the starting point for what to eat in america, with NYC coming in a close second to SF, but there is nothing outside of NYC in the north that can even compare to LA or SF... So, I would say the NE and the SE is fighting for second place =)

As far as live as a surfer, while MD and Jerz have some better stretches of waves, I would take living down here in SC any day as a surfer. Warm water almost all year. Trunking it for 8 months out of the year. Hell, the water yesterday when I surfed was 87 degrees. I trunked it until Thanksgiving last fall and was out of my wetsuit in late march. Waves arent always great, but the Carolinas have The Outer Banks. South Carolina has dozens of small islands that are graced with good surf when swell is around, and then you got Florida holding it down too. So, surfing life may be a wash, but to be able to really enjoy the ocean all year. Rocking a 2 or 3 mil for a couple months and surf alone all winter with no one else around and having clean offshore conditions to yourself aint bad at all. And our crowds only last about 2 months, but they do give us surf zones all over the island, so I feel like surfers get a lot more to play with than the MD and JER areas that are all whored out every summer to swim zones and touristas....

But yeah, the south does have world class cuisine and the little diners and dives got a lot of character....
    you better bust out a 4,3 with gloves and booties or you'll freeze you're as off, but thats just me it does get down into the low 50s. i love winter chest high waves for 4 days at a time and maybe more and cleaner, big cane swells down hold up here to well, a 11 sec swell closes out ffs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaKiel View Post

They definitely don't talk about how much better it is up there either.
    It's so much better up here in New England

Images
    [QUOTE=seldom seen;181316]It's so much better up here in New England[/QUOTE

too cold, second best maryland love it, its like the north/south combined, pigs nexts to giant eagles. hardees next captn dees. big tidal marshes but cold weather. people from futher north still go on vacation there ect...

Images
    Hey it's Zach619 !! I missed you, man. Please don't go away like that again.

Now since you are in the food business, and I'm most certainly not, you sure aboot your west coast claim over New York City? I don't know. Manhattan's the greatest place on earth for a reason.

Dude, no where has more diners or more diners with character than New Jersey.

Alot of y'all, when hyping southern cuisine, talk aboot sh!t no one cares aboot. Crawdads?? That ain't no food. They're like the vermin of the fresh water world. Yeah, youse guys tie a chunk of hotdog to a string and catch 'em and pretend they're lobsters, but good lord. You guys eat squirrell brains for God's sakes.

Ahh man, all of this BBQ talk make me frippin rid. Who cares aboot BBQ. Dudes, it's all aboot pizza and Italian food. "Wake up, white people"(Daniel Carver). I mean lame places, like Kansas City, hyoe their BBQ because they ain't got nothing else to hype.

ZACH !!! Surfing's not aboot water temperatures, man. It's all aboot the bubs, man. Cold bubs are good bubs. And man, October - May is pretty dead in New Jersey, except for a handful of spots where people of the herd mentallity pack together. Yeah, our beaches are policed during the summer - everything is illegal(Beer, guns, dogs, surfing outside designated areas, chicken wings, noise......) but it's only three months out of the year. Most Jersey beach towns are ghost towns in January. You can get jiggy with it in the open.