LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    Come basketball season I'm sure we can have many an in depth discussion of the Celtics... I am a Celtics nut. Can't get enough Celtics. Still not interested in fantasy basketball though.
    I'll talk hoop all day and night. Pro hoop since its been a couple years since I followed college ball. Like with football, I really only have time to keep up with one of them in a season and NFL is just too damn good.

Your buoy ™ Danny Ainge has done a number on the C's roster but this rebuilding may not take the longest. Man, the spring of 2010 for me was like what the cane season of 1995 was for some on here. I was at the Garden for three months straight it seemed for the playoffs. Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby's nephew View Post
    Come basketball season I'm sure we can have many an in depth discussion of the Celtics... I am a Celtics nut. Can't get enough Celtics. Still not interested in fantasy basketball though.
    What's up BCN? How's your uncle? The Celtics have been making some big moves this offseason. I'm sure it will all work out - Brad Stevens is one smart dude. Also, don't even waste your time with Fantasy Basketball. Just like baseball, the basketball season is just way too long for fantasy sports. NFL's 16 game season is just right.

Like DP said, Fantasy Football makes the NFL so much more interesting to follow. Instead of only following your team - the Ravens - you're following every other team. You're keeping up with their depth charts, injuries, rumors, etc. The draft is a really cool experience, as is setting your line-up every week. It's something else to look forward to on Sunday if you're an NFL fan.

My hopes for the Celtics this season:
    -Rondo sits out, gets healthy, plays well for a month, and is traded for 2 first round picks (at least one in 2014) and a young stud like Andre Drummond
    -Kelly Olynyk stays healthy and develops defensively, averages 12/7
    -Sullinger's back holds up, he loses weight (though not too much) and gains a little athleticism, averages 14/11
    -Avery Bradley: Still not sold on this kid. He doesn;t have the size or offensive ability to be a starter in the league. Let's hope he plays well for the first half of the season and we sell him high for a shooter (Ridnour, perhaps?) and a first round pick
    -Keep Shavlik, dump Fab, trade Humphries for a six pack of micro-brew
    -Finish second to last in the East and land a new superstar like Randle, Parker, or Smart

dlrouen - You're right, the Stevens hire is great. Love that his fire hazard of a wife brokered his contract deal. She's a TAYN! An effin TAYN!

Francis - Good post.

I watched Rondo dribble out the clock in both regulation and the first OT in game 4 of the ECF vs the Magic in 2010 when that brah was en fuego both that game and that whole spring. Not sure if I'll get over that soon.

Bradley, how can you not love or at least respect him when he went Beastie Boys' Sabotage with all those 3s and points at the end of that game? Scoring aside, he's NBA All-Defensive team. One of the four best defending guards in the league. Defense wins championships. It's hard to pull off single zero as a jerz number in the NBA and even harder to have zero as your only digit(s) on a C's jerz, props to da Chief. Bradley hasn't even begun to show us his best and he's already at worst one of the best role players in the league.

You're younger and not sure how much C's history you know, but you do know they've got a bit of canvas up in the rafters. That didn't get there just from the Cous, Havlicheck, Russell, and the original Big Three. It's role players supporting superstars that teams win championships with. Look up the Bulls championship runs and then see how they fared when Jordan led the league in scoring 7 straight years starting in his 3rd NBA year in but didn't win an NBA title until they gave him the right supporting cast in the year he won that 5th straight scoring crown. Look up the Detroit Bad Boys who won back to back titles and they didn't even have a superstar. It's role players like Dennis Johnson, Cedric Maxwell, Ainge and many others why Larry Legend brought us banners and Russell, who won 8 straight and 11 of 13 titles.

We might not be going all the way next year, but I'll go and watch. BTW...the 2010 NBA Finals in the last of what may never happen again with the Celtics vs Lakers was unreal to be at.

Im definitely in

dlrouen - I agree that fantasy baseball requires more annual time and commitment than I put to my surfing and SI patronage combined. You gotta be damn near Bill James to keep up with that, and baseball is even less of a sport than surfing but without the lifestyle, cultural, and spiritual benefits.

That said, can you guys briefly tell me what's entailed in your typical FF league over the course of a season? I've got a ton of brahs involved in it so I've heard stuff here and there but it seems that all leagues vary in complexity, scoring, money to win or lose, and time needed to participate. If I were to dip my toes in any of this, it would be in football.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    That said, can you guys briefly tell me what's entailed in your typical FF league over the course of a season?
    Here's a snapshot of what happens in a fantasy football season:

1. You join a league.

You can join a public league, where anyone can sign up for a spot, or a private league, where you need an invitation to play. Some people play just for fun and some play for money (in some cases, serious coin). League selection is an important factor, so don't take it lightly.

2. You prepare for your league draft by scouting players.

Before choosing your fantasy team, you need to research all the available players so you can pre-rank them according to your personal preference.

3. You build your fantasy team via the draft.

The draft is the most fun and exciting day of the fantasy season. During the draft, each fantasy owner selects on NFL player at a time until the rosters are complete.

4. Your team competes against another team every week.

During the NFL season, the real teams face each other and so do the fantasy teams in your league. The players' real-time stats are converted into fantasy points by your league provider, and the fantasy team that scores the most points wins the game for the week.

5. You make moves to improve your team.

As a fantasy owner, you're in total control. You can drop players you think aren't good enough and replace them with free agents. If one of your starters gets injured, you can bench him and start a healthy player instead. You may even make a trade offer to another owner.

6. Your team (hopefully) makes the playoffs and wins your league.

Only the strong survive, and at the end of the fantasy season, the top teams square off in a playoff tournament to decide the league champion. The last team standing may win a trophy, a cash prize, or just honor; but make no mistake, there will be only one winner.

- "How to Play Fantasy Football" www.dummies.com