LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    So I'm about 3/4 of the way through the latest "Special Issue" of Surfer Mag and I think it's one of the best issues I've read in a long time. Lots of stories from the all time greats but there is one article in particular that really hit home. The premise is that "One Ride Can (or cannot) Change Your Life". Now that's a bold claim, but after several of the stories I think it's definitely possible that one ride CAN change your life, be it for good or bad.

What do you think, can one ride change your life?
    When I broke my 4 ribs and punctured air sacks in my lungs and was a trama patient .That's a ride I'll never forget.

First ride down the line with real speed. That got me hooked in a way that I hadn't been in the previous years of half-hearted sessions. Sad it took so long, but grateful it happened at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    First ride down the line with real speed. That got me hooked in a way that I hadn't been in the previous years of half-hearted sessions. Sad it took so long, but grateful it happened at all.
    Don't be sad it was belated brah, be thankful it arrived! Were you just a casual/occasional participant for the first couple years?

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Don't be sad it was belated brah, be thankful it arrived! Were you just a casual/occasional participant for the first couple years?
    I surfed most every swell I could but my heart wasn't in it. If there was any size to it I would get super nervous beforehand and end up struggling for the most part. I didn't have the right mindset, equipment or conditioning so there would be days where I only caught one or two rides (or sometimes even none). Luckily I had friends who were stoked on surfing and forced me to get out there. Peer pressure can be a great motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    When I broke my 4 ribs and punctured air sacks in my lungs and was a trama patient .That's a ride I'll never forget.
    Ouch man, glad you're ok now, that sounds like it stung a bit

Yes, you are either going to love it or say I will never do this in my life again .I choose the first and have been stoked ever since. I get salt water withdrawel if I can't get in the water.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ocean60 View Post
    Yes, you are either going to love it or say I will never do this in my life again .I choose the first and have been stoked ever since. I get salt water withdrawel if I can't get in the water.
    Exactly man, i can barely go a week without being in salt water. Love it.

For sure the ride that hooked me for good was the first time I actually rode down the line. It felt like I was surfing for 45 minutes straight, but it was more like 10 seconds, which is great. When I stood up after dismounting I started laughing out loud. Not just a normal laugh, it was a laugh that you'd hear out of a child enduring a much feared tickle torture. Totally giddy.

Other than that, my other life changing ride involved and '87 Volvo wagon, a dead end road, an upperclasswoman, and piles of nervousness.

Good stuff guys, keep em comin

I think the first big wave changes your life. I spent far too many years surfing only up to 5-6 feet, afraid to take the drop on anything much bigger. First time you paddle on double overhead it takes the sport to a new level.