LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Missing the cold

Don't get me wrong, I spend all winter and spring dreaming about the day I can shed off all my rubber and feel the waves on my skin. Grass is always greener, right? But the warmth is not without its disadvantages: Crowds, kooks, and going days without a decent swell are some of the plagues that come with summer. Of course you all know this, but for all you year-round surfers, do you miss the cooler months as well? And what do you miss about it?

With the cold water, the waves are heavier and the herds get thinned out by natural selection. But the things I miss most are the extra adrenaline rush of duck diving under an icy wave and the effect it has on my body. There is something to be said about driving home from a winter session, still shivering, half numb, and feeling the blood rushing to my skin as my body tries desperately to warm itself back up.

How about all of you?
    Last edited by mattybrews; Aug 2, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Images
    i love winter hands down my favorite time of the year as you said i love/hate duck diving under icy waves, but the cold water is so much more dense and its awesome, dawn patrol is my favorite time for winter surfing, hot coffee, cold air and the morning sun cant beat it.

Images
    Not yet. Been getting enough good, enjoyable rides during DP in trunks at somewhat uncrowded spots. I am, however, looking forward to the "stepped up game" and challenges of winter surf.

From a couple days ago:
    unexpectedsweetswell20130731-2.jpg

Images
    "I am, however, looking forward to the "stepped up game" and challenges of winter surf."

Great way of putting it. I've been psyching myself up on every waist high surf so that i can charge as humanly possible this fall/winter.

Gotta get ready for the extra 20lbs!

Quote Originally Posted by capecodcdog View Post
    Not yet. Been getting enough good, enjoyable rides during DP in trunks at somewhat uncrowded spots. I am, however, looking forward to the "stepped up game" and challenges of winter surf.

From a couple days ago:
    unexpectedsweetswell20130731-2.jpg
    That you out there ripping it up? Looking good, great wave too!

As much as I enjoy surfing in boardshorts, I definitely miss the cooler months. There's no better feeling than waking up to super clean sets on a cool winter day. It's like waking up on Christmas morning. A very serene Christmas morning. The business suit is still damp from the session before and, for the love of God, you can never seem to find your left glove. It's like you're a kid gearing up to go play in the snow. I wish it snowed in CB...

I dunno, the older I get the more torn I am over the Summer vs Winter thing. I love the solitude of a Winter surf and the fact that I can take a dump in the dunes and bury it like a Sea Turtle mum buries her eggs and no one is there to witness it. But I also like the warm water on my skin and the I enjoy perving on all the young hotties and their bikini-tight a$$es when my wife aint lookin.
    I enjoy getting out of that cold water and eating a big bowl of venison chilli with a Stella Artois.
    But I also enjoy a fat slice of boardwalk pizza and watching tourists get attacked by green flies and sea gulls.
    I hate long, cold, gray flat spells.
    I hate long, hot, brown flat spells.
    I like looking at a closed amusement park on a cold morning and hearing the ghostly echoes of the laughter of the children that rode the rides in a Summer long past.
    I like the lights and sounds of all the rides on a hot Summer's night- and watching the tired, sun-burned parents empty their wallets.
    I grow nostalgic. Back to work

can't wait for Sept to start thinning out the line up. Sept - Dec is my favorite ..... water is still warm, hopefully some decent storm swell (don't really need another Sandy ... ouch!), and a thin lineup. Don't get me wrong ... Feb-April is good with the nor-easters (love the offshore wind) but sessions are shorter as well as the day ... still haven't found a way to surf 100% of the time. Need to work to support the lifestyle ....

Then again ... maybe I just need thicker rubber and live in a shack

Images
    ^^^^Agreed on mid to late fall, many of the same benefits as winter, with relatively warm water still. And you can count on the offshores more.

Being FL I much prefer the fall, winter, and spring months. Usually the weather is pretty mild, with a few days being seriously cold by anybody's standards, but other than those few days, it's normally very refreshing. Waves are more consistent and have a lot more punch to them. I enjoy getting out of the suit into board shorts, but that's when the summer pros come out to play, so I'll take wearing a 3/2 with little to no crowd any day of the week / year.