LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost Rica

Cost Rica

Im planning on going to Tamarindo in February, Best Western Vista Villas is where I was looking to stay. Has anyone here had any experiences at this hotel? Also if you have gone to Costa in February, what was the weather like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jfonseca View Post
    Im planning on going to Tamarindo in February, Best Western Vista Villas is where I was looking to stay. Has anyone here had any experiences at this hotel? Also if you have gone to Costa in February, what was the weather like?
    I preferred staying up in Playa Grande, north of Tamarindo. Don't know the Tamarindo hotel scene. Weather in Feb. is high 80s and low 90s.

Images
    haven't stayed at the villas, but I have stayed in tamarindo. Weather is perfect in feb.

The town itself isn't as much of a surf destination as it's hyped up to be. There's the rivermouth which can be a perfect wave, but usually small and very crowded. There's also a good peak in the middle of town that only turns on at high tide and gets even more crowded than the rivermouth. Most people walk a couple of miles up the beach to Playa Grande...it only works at high tide, so it gets crowded, too.

Tamarindo is a sketchy town. A lot of dirty looking drug runners and ex-patriot fugitives slinking around. There are a lot of tourist robberies, so never leave money in your room and make sure your girlfriend keeps her purse in sight at all times...or it will get snatched.

Tamarindo def sketchy I agree with Agabinet Playa grande better break and more laid back Rip Jack inn is awesome

Images
    I've also stayed at the surf camp before it became the rip jack. Good times.

I will warn you I found a couple of cap-less syringes in the sand where people camp next to the beach. Watch where you're walking on the trail to the break and, sad to say, wearing flip-flops to the beach is probably a good idea.

Images
    ive been to tamarindo ran into no problems, lots of people will ask you if you want coke and ****. go futher south or to grande atleast.

For some atmosphere, I'd rec La Laguna del Cocodrilo in Tamarindo...may a little pricey, but there's a real croc in a real lagoon! My Feb trip two years ago, the waves were overhead/double overhead everyday. Plan your trip and you can avoid the sketch.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hautemille View Post
    For some atmosphere, I'd rec La Laguna del Cocodrilo in Tamarindo...may a little pricey, but there's a real croc in a real lagoon! My Feb trip two years ago, the waves were overhead/double overhead everyday. Plan your trip and you can avoid the sketch.
    the place with the french dudes that are brothers?

Tamarindo is a cool town, a little shady after dark, yes, but still a good time. I challenge you to find the real costa rica. It's much cooler than seedy tourist towns. Don't just go to Jaco and Tamarindo.
    Last edited by leethestud; Aug 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM.

I rented a house right on the beach in Playa Negra. It was $2100 and slept 12 people. This is the way to go if you have numbers. Breaks werent as good as the north but it also wasnt as crowded.