LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Driving US to Costa Rica

Just want to see if anyones ever done the drive from US to Costa Rica. Im moving there in a few months. Ive been down there 100x in my life so I don't need any advice on living there. The only reason Im considering driving is the price of cars in CR. Its ridiculously expensive! and shipping one isn't a great deal either. So Ive decided Im going to drive in January, after their rainy season. Has anyone ever done it? I know Mexico is dangerous and border crossings can be shady. But please give me some info if u can. Theres not a lot on the internet except people (who probably have never left America in their life) saying don't drive you'll die. and very few youtube videos. Thanks.

Never done the drive but I can offer one piece of advice: Whatever vehicle you plan on driving down there--make sure you can get readily available parts for it. The couple people I've known to do it drove an older Toyota diesel and an older VW diesel, respectively.

I would ship it before I drove. it IS very dangerous in spots.

Yeah thanks...I have a new Nissan Titan. Sucks on Gas but im sure the 4x4 will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by tomomp View Post
    I know Mexico is dangerous and border crossings can be shady.
    ...but Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua are bastions of peace and prosperity? I'd be more worried about those places.

If I had the money I would ship it. But the quotes Ive gotten and the hoops you have to jump through are crazy. I have a few friends down there that shipped cars to Limon and some of their cars were destroyed or vandalized. missing parts and stuff.

Don't take a gun with you, or if you do, don't tell the Mexican police you have it...
    Be extremely careful diving at night through Mexico
    Always offer $ to police, refuse to follow them back to their HQ.
    Good luck and I can't say I'm not a little green with envy...that's a big move...one I'm not sure I have the kahuna's to do, but it's always been a dream of mine.
    Pura Vida!!

Yeah I know its all sketch till you get to CR. that's why I want to talk to people who have done it. Not just heard stories from a friend of a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    Don't take a gun with you, or if you do, don't tell the Mexican police you have it...
    Be extremely careful diving at night through Mexico
    Always offer $ to police, refuse to follow them back to their HQ.
    Good luck and I can't say I'm not a little green with envy...that's a big move...one I'm not sure I have the kahuna's to do, but it's always been a dream of mine.
    Pura Vida!!
    Thanks bro. Im stoked about it

Quote Originally Posted by tomomp View Post
    If I had the money I would ship it. But the quotes Ive gotten and the hoops you have to jump through are crazy. I have a few friends down there that shipped cars to Limon and some of their cars were destroyed or vandalized. missing parts and stuff.
    better than dying which you have a very good chance of doing if you drive, especially alone.