LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 141
  1. #51
    I don't think killing the sharks is the right idea (though I'd rather a shark die than me). There really aren't that many Whites up there. The problem is they are all hunting along the beach, because that's where the food is.
    Whites normally hunt from the deep. It's crazy that they swim in 3' of water.
    The problem is with the seals. They have let that population skyrocket and it's only getting bigger. If there weren't so many seals there the sharks would move offshore and eat fish, like they usually do.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    sounds more reasonable to cull the seals nearshore or at least near populated beaches.
    ^^ +1
    Intelligent post from Sharkhunter.
    Don't overanalyze this sh*t. If you notice a continous growing pattern of risk that is of great harm or injury to people, that can be controlled or lessened within a small area (very small in aspect of areas inhabited by GW's) - you should.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Divers have been attacked by sharks before. Look at the statistics. Also, an attack is NOT always about being mistaken for a seal. Tiger sharks are the dumpsters of the sea and WILL eat you alive if the make a go at you. Bull sharks are the same way. The hunting pattern of the white shark is one big ambush bite, then they swim away and wait for the animal to bleed to death before feeding. The propoganda that you've been fed has made you not realize this. It's all about making the shark seem less "guilty". Honestly, who cares about the reason. A person bit in half is a person bit in half.

    Also, do people think it's a good idea to feed sharks while diving? Really? Let's let a large dangerous predator associate people with food? Stupidity. Swimming without a cage with a great white shark is extremely dangerous. The fact that you would say it's not dangerous kind of construes a lack of common sense on your part. Sort of like people who keep tiger/lions as pets and think it's perfectly safe.
    Yeah of course they have been attacked divers before. I'm not saying that sharks only attack by mistake. They are, like you say, wild animals. Even the nicest dogs attack people. My only point is that sharks are just like any other animal. They aren't out to kill humans, but they do have natural instincts to hunt for food and protect their habitat. I just don't think that it is right to go out and hunt/kill sharks just because they have attacted us before. With that logic we would be killing dogs and monkeys and lions and tigers and bears oh my. It is a part of nature that we have no right to be messing with.

    And I will completely agree with your last statement. People who hand feed sharks are out of their damn minds. Like you said, "associating humans with food", is a big no no. I don't believe that it isn't dangerous at all. Being around any wild animal is dangerous no matter how you look at it. All I'm saying is that is isn't as horrible as the media and movies like Jaws portay it to be. There are two extremes to this. Those who think that sharks are the most evil, man hunting monster on the planet, And those who think that sharks are cute and cuddly teddy bears that you can play with. I like to think that there is a happy medium. They are a fierce predator but not exactly a human-hunting monster.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    545
    Any time humans attempt to control nature, bad things usually result. We've purposely introduced various insects, reptiles and rodents, etc. into environments to solve a problem. Many times the solution later becomes the problem (frog infestation, lady bugs, long-horn beetles, rats...). I'm more in favor of letting nature take its course. The seal population is crazy so let the GW's prey on them. It might be 5, 10, 20 years from now, but eventually the seals will move and the sharks will follow them. Killing them is very short-sighted...take a longer term view of the issue and you might find that killing 20 sharks does nothing.

    Not for nothing, but are GW's even a legit concern on the east coast? I believe NorCal has an issue, but east-coasters should be more concerned with Bulls. I'm not worried about one GW attack, especially when said attack involved someone swimming over 100 yards off shore. That's just ignorant.

    Come on guys, live and let live. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya together.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Alectruelove View Post
    Yeah of course they have been attacked divers before. I'm not saying that sharks only attack by mistake. They are, like you say, wild animals. Even the nicest dogs attack people. My only point is that sharks are just like any other animal. They aren't out to kill humans, but they do have natural instincts to hunt for food and protect their habitat. I just don't think that it is right to go out and hunt/kill sharks just because they have attacted us before. With that logic we would be killing dogs and monkeys and lions and tigers and bears oh my. It is a part of nature that we have no right to be messing with.

    And I will completely agree with your last statement. People who hand feed sharks are out of their damn minds. Like you said, "associating humans with food", is a big no no. I don't believe that it isn't dangerous at all. Being around any wild animal is dangerous no matter how you look at it. All I'm saying is that is isn't as horrible as the media and movies like Jaws portay it to be. There are two extremes to this. Those who think that sharks are the most evil, man hunting monster on the planet, And those who think that sharks are cute and cuddly teddy bears that you can play with. I like to think that there is a happy medium. They are a fierce predator but not exactly a human-hunting monster.
    Agreed, there are only a handful of fatal shark attacks in the last few years, nothing too alarming in the grand scheme of things. I mean, more HUMANS kill other humans than any other animal in the kingdom. So by others logic, we should just start killing off the human population, since they are obviously the most aggressive species toward humans. Pretty sad that our own kind is more of a threat than any other animal ever created.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    Any time humans attempt to control nature, bad things usually result. We've purposely introduced various insects, reptiles and rodents, etc. into environments to solve a problem. Many times the solution later becomes the problem (frog infestation, lady bugs, long-horn beetles, rats...). I'm more in favor of letting nature take its course. The seal population is crazy so let the GW's prey on them. It might be 5, 10, 20 years from now, but eventually the seals will move and the sharks will follow them. Killing them is very short-sighted...take a longer term view of the issue and you might find that killing 20 sharks does nothing.

    Not for nothing, but are GW's even a legit concern on the east coast? I believe NorCal has an issue, but east-coasters should be more concerned with Bulls. I'm not worried about one GW attack, especially when said attack involved someone swimming over 100 yards off shore. That's just ignorant.

    Come on guys, live and let live. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya together.
    haha amen brother

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Agreed, there are only a handful of fatal shark attacks in the last few years, nothing too alarming in the grand scheme of things. I mean, more HUMANS kill other humans than any other animal in the kingdom. So by others logic, we should just start killing off the human population, since they are obviously the most aggressive species toward humans. Pretty sad that our own kind is more of a threat than any other animal ever created.
    There's the logic, I dig it!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Alectruelove View Post
    There's the logic, I dig it!
    HAHAHA, I mean lets get rid of all vehicles too, along with fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, any and all sharp objects, maybe that'll cut down on fatalities too?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    545
    ^^^^ a world full of under-weight tweakers who can't get their nicotine or alcohol fix would be a dangerous place to live. I think I'd rather Rochambeau a great white over who gets to take the next wave.

  10. #60
    Killing a seal to solve the shark problem is such a crazy idea.
    But, you know...we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy.