LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Not my first time at all. I lived in Italy for about 3 months in 2006, then returned many times for week long meetings. I have been to Germany, France, and the UK for short visits. This is my first long stay in Germany. It is not by choice.
    Dude if I were you i'd be stoked out of my mind for Octoberfest / Beerfest, the real deal!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Dude if I were you i'd be stoked out of my mind for Octoberfest / Beerfest, the real deal!
    Octoberfest will be over by the time I arrive. It is the last week in September.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Sounds like you've got your mind made up already. You'll be back to normal in a couple sessions after your month off.
    Well, I hadn't really made my mind up yet. I was hoping someone would have some cool story about a secret spot.

Images
    BE,

This is turning into a pretty funny thread because your dread of the trip is just ooooooozing out all over SI. These folks are trying to get you excited about the trip. Rest assured that during that month we will surf in your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Octoberfest will be over by the time I arrive. It is the last week in September.
    Well that's strange, I never looked into it too far to know that, I would think it would be in October , hence Octoberfest! hahaha

In that case, I'd be chasing all the German tail I could (if your single of course)

The Eisbach wave. Eisbach River in Munich.
    Think about 2 1/2 hours from where you'll be.

Here's some advice: Don't worry about surfing while you're over there. Enjoy Germany. Best semester of my life

I lived in Newcastle for a year, and while there met some guys who would surf Whitley Bay. I checked it out a few times and just couldn't get myself stoked enough to paddle out in 40 degree water to surf 1-2 ft windslop. I'm sure the waves are better occasionally, but it's probably rare. It's only a month - either follow margo's advice and look into cheap flights to somewhere with more reliable waves, or enjoy the culture for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    BE,

This is turning into a pretty funny thread because your dread of the trip is just ooooooozing out all over SI. These folks are trying to get you excited about the trip. Rest assured that during that month we will surf in your memory.
    I used to get excited about this stuff. After 3 years straight of about 100% travel for work, I got burnt out. Now, I try to avoid all travel that isn't specifically to places I want to go to for vacations. It won't likely be as bad as I make it out to be, but I will miss SC while I am over there. I would be much happier if they were sending me to Italy. It could definitely be worse. My coworker has to spent the month in Turkey. At least the Germans don't generally despise Anericans.