LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    First warning sign of surf that is bigger than you think is the "time warp effect" my own term for the phenomena. If the surf looks like its moving really slow from the shore, the surf is much bigger and much further out than you think. Of course most of the time on the east coast if it looks mushy it probably is, lol.
    Gotcha, I believe I've experienced this before, you look at it and say "that doesn't look to bad, i'm going for it", then as you are paddling out you start feeling the surge and before you know it you realize sh*t just got real.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    First warning sign of surf that is bigger than you think is the "time warp effect" my own term for the phenomena. If the surf looks like its moving really slow from the shore, the surf is much bigger and much further out than you think. Of course most of the time on the east coast if it looks mushy it probably is, lol.
    I kinda wonder if you are right. I have noticed similar phenomena, but then again, when you see Pipeline or Honolua Bay you can tell just by looking at how fast the lip peels, it is breaking really, really fast. I did not see any lulls in that video, that is probably why there was no one out shredding. Or maybe Maine surfers have no sac.

Images
    If you put someone out there and could see that wave break to scale it might actually be solid double overhead, maybe bigger. What looks like one crumbly section might be 15 to 20 feet long. Throw 2 of those crumbly sections together and you have almost 40 feet of wave face breaking in less than a second. That's pretty fast and might be hard to beat if the wave is kinda round and hard to pump for speed.
    Last edited by Zippy; Aug 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    Or maybe Maine surfers have no sac.
    This is so true. Zero balls.

Images
    I can say this, if I pulled up and saw those conditions even if there was a lull between sets that would allow me to break through I wouldn't go out. Call me a wimp if you want but experience tells me that on a day like that scary things can happen.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVs--h90agM

that right there is in the northeast pretty intense if you ask me only thing to we have to compare is obx imo
    same swell in RI:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjUzYMOSTU4

does look a little slow and rolly toward the end...but still got the size.

Images
    ^ yeah ive seen that one from ri thats pretty big to way better shape then the video from Maine, this one is from sandy in ocmd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIaYVim5nsQ

look at 2:41 its probably one of the biggest east coast barrels ive seen.

Lots of places on the EC can hold large waves. This is Holden Beach NC during Hurricane Earl swell.

47a0d725b3127cce985489c603d000000035101AZs2bNw3aMx.jpg47a0d725b3127cce985489c782e100000035101AZs2bNw3aMx.jpg

that right there is in the northeast pretty intense if you ask me only thing to we have to compare is obx imo
    wow that's truly remarkable if u watch the before and after.after is a lake.i cant see anyone surfing that without a ski,that whitewash is horrendous would take a good 45 minutes of paddling and probably wouldn't get out past the shorebreak

For some reason this video ain't working for me, but if it's of Bill...I surfed it, there was some serious power behind those waves, everytime I wiped out or went under it felt like I was being violently shaken like a ragdoll. I would still say that if anybody has any footage from IRI Northside of Ernesto, that was as good as it gets around here. 15' faces and breaking clean down the line...

Ok, video worked...my post may not be relevant because I am speaking for mid-Atlantic.

I still can't get over the fact that Herlihy and Raven rode those, but that was only possible with a ski...you can even see how even with the momuntem from the ski there's a couple where he still can't get into because of those stiff offshores.
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Aug 9, 2013 at 01:21 AM.