LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Hello all

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hammonton, NJ
    Posts
    1,557
    Images
    7
    Dude, while there are "constant" spots, you never know on the Outer Banks. That place is just one big sandbar that people built houses on....sandbars come and go.

    So just check spots, dawg. It's easy down there too, because much of the beach road is basically right next to the gosh darn beach.

    Maybe, one of the OBXers on here, like Dune, will point you to a current shorebreak-style sandbar. Maybe Bathhouse in Kitty Hawk is dishing it up? I don't know. Hey, stay away from Dune's sister, though. Dune surfs the best pier on the banks. God, I loved that place. At least I loved the old pier. That place used to produce THE BEST sandbars. Hollow, ripable, powerful nugs of bub.

    Dude, I hope you score surf, but make sure to lose yourself into the whole Outer Banks experience. It's the last bastion of the free spirit on the east coast, and a spiritual, "ocean" place. That's why everbody is on mind altering substances down there. Watch out for the police down there. They're a bit on the excitable side. Ok, they are overzealous clowns........man, go police a real area like Baltimore.

  2. #12
    Spunjer,

    I'm original from Oahu and now live in Richmond, VA. I grew up with Kainoa McGee, Jackie Buder, Burkhart and those boys from BITD, so I have bodyboarding in my blood as well. Totally miss shorebreaks like Sandys, Pounders, Keiki, Waimea....I even have hit the Wedge on big days. LOVE IT. Where are you located now?

    -Greg

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunjer View Post
    y
    shark-hunter, funny you mentioned shorebreak breaking right on the sand. one of my favorite digs growing up was this spot caled Keikis, not far from Waimea. now that spot literally breaks on dry sand. that's only during the winter though... any other time, i would be at Sandys on the south-east side.
    i guess what i'm looking for when i was at OBX last year was something similar, as in hollow shorebreaks type of wave. really missing that elevator drop feeling followed by getting shacked, then compressed.
    To each their own. I'm not into getting smashed into the sand, but hey everyone has their vice. If I knew the area I'd let you know the spots for getting pulverized into the sand on a nasty unmakeable closeout

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R2y4rxAypQ

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiqv5UFIogY

    And that's not even breaking right on the sand.

    Man those guys are crazy...lol
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Aug 11, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Yeah, but the flowrider in San Diego is legit. They have a beginner one that you have to spend a few hours on before they even allow you into the real deal. They set the one in mission beach to 10-15 foot at all times and its quite a show. guys are doing huge airs and tricks. I would imagine on in the midwest is not set to neck breaks speeds and heights. I used to go there and have some cocktails after surfing the mission jetty and the wavehouse wave is kind of insane.
    My point was that of all the places to have a wave machine....san diego?? I'd much rather ride a real wave that that. That being said; We need that a florider on the east coast to deal with flat spells. San diego has enough waves already! Send that **** over here!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,371
    Images
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunjer View Post
    funny you mentioned shorebreak breaking right on the sand. one of my favorite digs growing up was this spot caled Keikis, not far from Waimea. now that spot literally breaks on dry sand. that's only during the winter though....
    Man...no Sh!t! My wife and I stayed in Keiki Beach about 10 years ago February during a huge NW swell. Wiamea was breaking a couple days, Pipe was on fire, but that shorepound right out back of our cottage in Keiki was the scariest looking wave I've ever seen. Super long period THICK 15 foot waves just drawing water off the beach for like 10 seconds and then heaving up and slamming top to bottom about 10 feet of the beach in an ugly explosion. I sat on that beach for hours just staring into the belly of those beasts. Nobody around in Keiki while a mile up the beach at Pipe there were 40 people crawling on top of each other for every set wave.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Man...no Sh!t! My wife and I stayed in Keiki Beach about 10 years ago February during a huge NW swell. Wiamea was breaking a couple days, Pipe was on fire, but that shorepound right out back of our cottage in Keiki was the scariest looking wave I've ever seen. Super long period THICK 15 foot waves just drawing water off the beach for like 10 seconds and then heaving up and slamming top to bottom about 10 feet of the beach in an ugly explosion. I sat on that beach for hours just staring into the belly of those beasts. Nobody around in Keiki while a mile up the beach at Pipe there were 40 people crawling on top of each other for every set wave.
    Yeah here's keiki breaking right ON the sand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQHpY7c7IM
    Some nut actually trying to surf it. He left after one wave absolutely annihilated him right at the beginning. Really lucky he didn't get seriously injured. Thankfully he was ok. I don't know how he thought that was even remotely a makeable drop. I think it's a competition to see who can break their neck first.

  7. #17
    haha! thanks for the vids, shark-hunter! brought back so much good memories. for the record; no, i never went out on those crazy-ass days. definitely know my limit. but yeah, Keikis could get pretty nuts. taking off on those waves (well, the smaller ones anyway) is similar to standing still and all of a sudden grabbing hold on a moving vehicle. it just pulls the crap out of ya...
    Spunjer,

    I'm original from Oahu and now live in Richmond, VA. I grew up with Kainoa McGee, Jackie Buder, Burkhart and those boys from BITD, so I have bodyboarding in my blood as well. Totally miss shorebreaks like Sandys, Pounders, Keiki, Waimea....I even have hit the Wedge on big days. LOVE IT. Where are you located now?

    -Greg
    howzit Greg! i stay ohio right now. das right, the buckeye state, lol. been living here for a lot of years. those boys you mentioned: brah, i went to the same school they went (except for Burks). yeah brah, Kaimuki Bulldogs, haha!!! only thing i graduated a couple years before them.. forgot about Pounders. the sidewave on that place is pretty unreal, yeah? here's a nic pic from the recent almost-tropical storm:
    945964_480595058690649_880519158_n.jpg

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Dude, while there are "constant" spots, you never know on the Outer Banks. That place is just one big sandbar that people built houses on....sandbars come and go.

    So just check spots, dawg. It's easy down there too, because much of the beach road is basically right next to the gosh darn beach.

    Maybe, one of the OBXers on here, like Dune, will point you to a current shorebreak-style sandbar. Maybe Bathhouse in Kitty Hawk is dishing it up? I don't know. Hey, stay away from Dune's sister, though. Dune surfs the best pier on the banks. God, I loved that place. At least I loved the old pier. That place used to produce THE BEST sandbars. Hollow, ripable, powerful nugs of bub.

    Dude, I hope you score surf, but make sure to lose yourself into the whole Outer Banks experience. It's the last bastion of the free spirit on the east coast, and a spiritual, "ocean" place. That's why everbody is on mind altering substances down there. Watch out for the police down there. They're a bit on the excitable side. Ok, they are overzealous clowns........man, go police a real area like Baltimore.
    thanks for the tip, Paddington! crossing my fingers hoping to catch a nice swell when we get there... last year we caught one good day out at OBX. just blew my mind when i saw the waves A-framing and actually spitting. too bad it was gone a couple hours later. definitely need to keep an eye on tides and wind direction, lol. after being away from the ocean for awhile, them small details are easy to forget...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    3,608
    Images
    6
    Get outta here creepy swinger, you can have my ex now.