LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Why Does Montauk look Good all the time?

Its not always BIG, but probably 8 or 9 out of 10 times I watch the cam on surfline, its like knee or waist high and clean. Why is this? Does it just pick up more swell because it is more exposed?

Reef break/point break. Two factors that add up to clean, non closeout waves

Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    Its not always BIG, but probably 8 or 9 out of 10 times I watch the cam on surfline, its like knee or waist high and clean. Why is this? Does it just pick up more swell because it is more exposed?
    A reef doesn't make it more consistent. Without swell you have no waves reef or not. That area of long island is very swell exposed. Just look at the noaa graphical forecast wave heights. You'll always see how far eastern LI is much bigger than anywhere else.

Images
    Montauk's the epicenter of NY surfing. Though there's some angry locals out there who hate the Manhattanization of the place, and all the hipster, "yeah I surf," guys showing up. They'll let you out at Ditch Plains but other spots they'll get at you.

Ahhh, the crisis of sleepy, out-of-the-way fishing villages vs urban, chic, tourists and the surfing hobbyists. Gotta love it. My God they even have a 7-11 there now...........

There's even rumors that Montauk is more consistent than New Symrna Beach.......

There once was a local from Montauk,
    Who rode a board with his hair in a Mohawk.
    He said with a grin, as blood ran down his chin,
    I'll choke you tourists out with a headlock.

its more exposed to swell than other parts west. I've checked the cams plenty of times and have been awed by how there are never any waves there.
    so I'm pretty sure you shouldnt even bother going there. Jersey is better.... any part of jersey.

I don't know why everyone seems to think certain surf spots theres always good waves.storms,storms,storms.without that,there is no waves.everywhere goes flat from time to time,teahupoo,pipeline,puerto Escondido,you name it.montauk is a great reef tho and can handle the biggest swells.only for the brave

http://www.vice.com/hi-shredability/...Article_page=2

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Montauk's the epicenter of NY surfing. Though there's some angry locals out there who hate the Manhattanization of the place, and all the hipster, "yeah I surf," guys showing up. They'll let you out at Ditch Plains but other spots they'll get at you.

Ahhh, the crisis of sleepy, out-of-the-way fishing villages vs urban, chic, tourists and the surfing hobbyists. Gotta love it. My God they even have a 7-11 there now...........

There's even rumors that Montauk is more consistent than New Symrna Beach.......
    first off,like every spot,nobody likes a foreign crowd.but,montauk is a very wealthy area with Nassau county sheriffs every 15 ft,the locals would not "get at you" as in beat the crap out of u im guessin?im sure they'll talk shyt and maybe scratch your car,but most folks out there aren't going to hurt you.you should always have respect wherever u go,and u wont have a hard time.i paddled out there one day on the lifeguard sled among 20 other kids.genuine people,very classy,just don't be an a'hole ,wait your turn and surf,and you should have a good time.eastern li is such a great place,would love to live there again.it goes from country to the sea.lots of land,no hipster losers,very nice.my longlost pops n gma live out there,havnt been there in 8yrs

I read in a surfermag a while ago,about a spotcheck on obx,saying they hate non locals and will trash you.again,completely wrong.most folks out of nags head,kdh,etc are big Christian communities.i hate to break it to u but the toughguy scene died out in the 80s.people go to jail and get banned from the beach nowadays.just give respect to get respect,and know your limits
    Last edited by cepriano; Aug 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: change somethng

Images
    Nahh, Cep, those old time Montauk locals, not wealthy, are crazy. Their end-of-the-road paradise has been violated and they're pissed, especially some dude named Cheyene. He's totally bent. He hates "Citidiots." He says all you Eric Eichen-Long Beach folks should stay home......

And Montauk is at least two-three foot all day, everyday.......NSB eat your heart out because it's a thumping two foot. And hozana on the highest, when them swells come calling Montauk is Double Overhead and is full of secret point breaks. Totally twitchen.

They got sharks there, too. Isn't the biggest great white ever caught on rod and reel from Long Island? The sharks don't like anyone west of the Hamptons. Oh Long Island goes special happy on 'cane swells, too. The biggest east coast waves I have ever seen in person went down in one of them Hampton places. Wow, what an elitist, segregated, inclusive place those Hamptons are. Man, they don't even let foreigners park anywhere.

Images
    the reason it looks so good is becuz everything else looks so bad