LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm with you

My bad Rock locals.

a couple years ago i heard from a good source that a surf school in montauk had their shed broken into and all there softtops axed. if true, montauk is even cooler than we thought!

WTF...I have to go to a friend's wedding today in CT and if Montauk had any swell at all I'd bring my gear and be hopping a ferry right after to score all day tomorrow. Damn man. MTK is on my hit list. Got to get there this fall.

Some of the best, most soulful surfer's I've ever met were from Montauk. I don't blame them if they are fed up with everyone else.

The funny thing about Montauk, at least the couple times I've surfed it, is actually that the "well known" surf spots that supposedly are crowded and kooked out, like say Ditch or even some of the other rock points I saw, were actually mushy and sucked. I went on a 5 ft 10 second buoy reading morning during the beginning of August while visiting relatives on L.I and found the sandbar I had first checked arriving in town had by far the heaviest waves. I ended up driving back into town from checking and briefly surfing the rocky eastern points, parked at the IGA grocery parking lot, walked over the dunes, and scored head high+ incoming tide, HEAVY tubes on the sandbar right out front with just 1 sponger. Got barreled for about 2 hours with not 1 other surfer around(10-15 people were surfing 3-400 yards east on a mushier, outside break). Had to paddle hard and drop in early, as it was pretty shallow (knee deepish and lots of small/medium sized stones rolling around the bottom), but the tubes were insanely heavy. They can keep their hyped up spots, that was one of the heaviest sandbars I've seen on the east coast forsure. Check it out if any of you want to surf uncrowded waves out there. Only thing that sucked was a "swimming only" area right beside the sandbar that the lifeguards whistle at you from while they're there later in the morning If you paddle for a set inside the flags.

Well, after growing up in New Jersey and surfing all winter long, while all but one of my buddies went snow skiing, I never made it to Montauk... Heard rumors about it's point breaks but in the 70's, there was no surfline... Besides my 65 Rambler Station Wagon would never have made the trip... We surfed our "secret spot" in New Jersey which blew offshore when the winter Nor-Easter storms had everywhere else VAC and blown out... It broke double-triple over head stand up tubes in knee to waist deep water over rocks... I quickly learned how to get up really fast... We were the only ones that surfed there... the 30 degree water destroyed my hearing... I can't even hear my wife speak sometimes...But i digress... Looking at the pics of Montauk, it looks like an incredible spot... I will probably never surf there as I now live in toasty Florida... and a plane ticket to LI is $400 and to Puerto Rico or CR its $300... Enjoy your spot... and PS, in surfing, 1 out of 3 are assholes... so when your in the line up, look to your left and right... if you don't see one...

Quote Originally Posted by vilanosurfer218 View Post
    The funny thing about Montauk, at least the couple times I've surfed it, is actually that the "well known" surf spots that supposedly are crowded and kooked out, like say Ditch or even some of the other rock points I saw, were actually mushy and sucked. I went on a 5 ft 10 second buoy reading morning during the beginning of August while visiting relatives on L.I and found the sandbar I had first checked arriving in town had by far the heaviest waves. I ended up driving back into town from checking and briefly surfing the rocky eastern points, parked at the IGA grocery parking lot, walked over the dunes, and scored head high+ incoming tide, HEAVY tubes on the sandbar right out front with just 1 sponger. Got barreled for about 2 hours with not 1 other surfer around(10-15 people were surfing 3-400 yards east on a mushier, outside break). Had to paddle hard and drop in early, as it was pretty shallow (knee deepish and lots of small/medium sized stones rolling around the bottom), but the tubes were insanely heavy. They can keep their hyped up spots, that was one of the heaviest sandbars I've seen on the east coast forsure. Check it out if any of you want to surf uncrowded waves out there. Only thing that sucked was a "swimming only" area right beside the sandbar that the lifeguards whistle at you from while they're there later in the morning If you paddle for a set inside the flags.
    Most surfers LIKE point break type waves. Not the SI crowd which seems to like 23 foot bombs, but in the real world that's what surfers go for. It's the same situation in Cali. IE Mushy easy going fun LONG waves. Malibu point break type waves. Especially long boarders.

The sandbar you're describing isn't even rideable on a longboard. I prefer sand beachbreak barrels over point breaks, but I'm a bodyboarder. I can still have fun on mushy point break waves though assuming the wave has some speed/push.

Also, 5 feet at 10 seconds is not a big swell for a point break. Check the point break spots on a swell that's 10 feet at 15 seconds. Beach will be unrideable and the points will be firing and epic.
    Epic montauk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAbtvLx1D-0
    Fast forward to 3:00 minute mark. Triple to 4 times OH barrel. I wouldn't call that mushy. Again depends on the swell. Waves are huge since their refracting and lining up perfectly for incredibly long rides. Doesn't look like the east coast.

Also, the beach breaks will be constantly changing obviously due to shifting sand. What's great the few times you went might be far different next time. I've seen places not close out and go on forever and then next year it's close out city.

OR...was your post an attempt to keep crowds down at the points? haha
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Aug 18, 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Also, that point break in montauk didn't look THAT crowded. I think the size thinned the herd, but I'm not familiar with montauk so I don't know.

Honestly, last year during hurricane swells in early sept, the rock reefs in RI were basically unrideable due to insane crowd conditions. You couldn't even park. It looked like a raid at trestles. Just as crowded at matun. as trestles in calif on a weekend. Probably 50 guys on a peak with 5 stand up guys thrown in for good measure.. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Aug 18, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Images
    Double- triple overhead, breaking in knee deep water..........clean during NE winds........breaking over rocks?

I'm glad you learned to stand-up quick. Nothing like learning to surf in triple overhead shorebreak conditions.

Wow, you sure you were in New Jersey? Knee-deep water, NE winds blowing offshore..........Man, Poverty must have been something else back in the day.

Ahhh, those 10 foot at 15 seconds days........

People, am I on the same coast as y'all?