LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfchic View Post
    Point taken I was upset and still am.....I am not a shark expert but it was definitely identified by more experienced folks who have been surfing and fishing in these waters for over 30 years who said that it was.
    Did you place in the event?

The Govt run media wants you to believe it was a shark so that they can kill sharks and sell soup.... Monsanto is pumping steroids and other chemicals in the ocean to beef up the sharks.
    Don't eat shark fin soup unless you know the sharks are GMO free.

DISCLAIMER: I am not serious.

Sandbar sharks are one of the most common sharks in the surf zone.They do get large and are often mistaken for Bulls.Like the bull shark,they have a rounded snout and thick bodies.Sharks species in general(with a few obvious exceptions) aren't quite so easy to identify.This often leads to the "sand shark" ID...of course there is no such species as a "sand shark". That said,A bull shark committed to the attack would cause major damage.No one can be 100% certain what type of shark it was... I'm just glad the kid is ok!

Sounds like a rabid manatee to me

all wrong! It was Megalodon BRAH

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    The Govt run media wants you to believe it was a shark so that they can kill sharks and sell soup.... Monsanto is pumping steroids and other chemicals in the ocean to beef up the sharks.
    Don't eat shark fin soup unless you know the sharks are GMO free.

DISCLAIMER: I am not serious.
    Hey, I axed you where you're going on your honeymoon and I told you to change your name to NJNY.......

Why is this thread even on this site. So what, a southern kid got attacked by a shark? Yeah so? It's just some southern kid, not an important northern kid.

Disclaimer: I am confused and not sure weather or whether I am serious or not.

Didn't anybody tell the shark that it was a contest area and that they had the permits to prove it? The area should have been off-limits to non-competitors. People/sharks just don't follow rules.

Surfchic, don't get all bent. You got to toughen-up. It's a violent world out there. Somewhere right at this moment someone is getting blown-the-F-up. Though relatively rare, shark attacks happen especially down there. You guys should overfish and pollute your waters a bit more. It really clears out the sealife......

Thanks for listening.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfchic View Post
    Since none of you were there you should keep your comments to yourself......I was there and it was in fact a
    8ft. bull shark that had been hanging out in the area all day we had to pull my longboard heat (when we had the first sighting) out of the water which I actually thought it was a black tip but I didn't see it very well but some SUPers and the judges saw it and it was of considerable size....not a baracuta (idiot) thank the good Lord it wasn't your kid in that heat...it's not all fun and games when this stuff happens it's real and it had a profound affect on us all. So before you starting making your stupid jokes about something you have no clue about maybe show a little respect for this little grom who could have lost his life on Sunday and his family and friends who have been affected by this event.
    HEY IDIOT welcome to the ocean they are sharks maybe next time you paddle out you might not be so lucky not that i wish that upon you, why dont you show a little respect for the ocean and go get a tampon and suck it the **** up.

Surfchic you can be pissed all you want but the fact remains that it most likely was not a bull shark since they are quite pissy sharks and attack even with out provocation. According to NOAA Bulls are in the top three for fatal attacks when unprovoked what do you think would happen if this shark actually got tangled in a leash with a kid right there? It would have been a tragic scene. As Erock and others have mentioned looking at it from above would be near impossible to tell which is which even for a seaoned fisherman. It was likely a sandbar shark. But yes I am very glad the kid is okay. I had my 7 year old out last month in some small rollers when a 4 ft sandy swam by about 8 feet from us, we stayed out and my wife yelled at me later!

Images
    Video from local ABC news affiliate

At the center of the commotion was 11-year-old Tyson Royston.

"It swam up to me and it got tangled in my leash and it was pulling me under," he said.

A crowd -- including two surfers and five lifeguards -- ran to his aid.

"We stopped the competition immediately, I mean no questions asked," said Hussey. "We got everybody out of the water."

What happened next changed the tide for Royston.

"He had the presence of mind to remove his leash from around his leg, which probably saved his life," Hussey said.

"I swam as hard as I could to the shore," Royston said.

A little shaken, Royston walked away without injury. And it didn't take long for the young surfer to jump back into the water.

"She told me if I didn't want to surf in it, I didn't have to," he said. "I said I wanted to."

Sup dude... I don't recall you axing me bout the honeymoon... Must have missed it. Still not 100%, It's between Tahiti and Nova Scotia.
    I will most likely move back to NY in the next year or two. Then I'd have to switch again

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Hey, I axed you where you're going on your honeymoon and I told you to change your name to NJNY.......

Why is this thread even on this site. So what, a southern kid got attacked by a shark? Yeah so? It's just some southern kid, not an important northern kid.

Disclaimer: I am confused and not sure weather or whether I am serious or not.

Didn't anybody tell the shark that it was a contest area and that they had the permits to prove it? The area should have been off-limits to non-competitors. People/sharks just don't follow rules.

Surfchic, don't get all bent. You got to toughen-up. It's a violent world out there. Somewhere right at this moment someone is getting blown-the-F-up. Though relatively rare, shark attacks happen especially down there. You guys should overfish and pollute your waters a bit more. It really clears out the sealife......

Thanks for listening.