Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: El Salvador

El Salvador

Curious if anyone has been recently to El Salvador with new travel warnings after break of truce between MS 13 and 18th street gangs? I have traveled to Central America many times and felt safe renting a car and exploring the coastline. Although never traveled to El Salvador. Always heard great things and am regular footed.

Any advice or recent travel stories are appreciated? Thanks for taking time to read this.

The regular foot thing might get you snuffed, sparky.

I used to work with some Salvadorians. From the storeis they told I may never go there, which is a shame because i heard the surf is great.

In short, indescriminate killimgs and lawlessness. However, this was about 15 years ago.

Images
    Mitchell, skegleg and I went several years ago and the surf was incredible. I never felt threatened although, other than surfing I never left the compound. Mitchell and Skegleg walked down to the village one day and I hid out refusing to step outside the gates. They made it back fine. Also met up with some other guys from OC whohappened to be there at the same time. They had been driving the coast looking for waves and got home unharmed. Personally I dont think Ill ever go back, i still dream of that perfect surf but everywhere seems more dangerous now and im just not into it. I would say go, get picked up from the airport and surf one or two close breaks from where your staying, its an awesome place and the people that are not trying to kill you are really nice.
    Last edited by Zippy; Mar 11, 2016 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    its an awesome place and the people that are not trying to kill you are really nice.
    This is a great endorsement lol

Any of those Central American countries have a percentage of inhabitants that want to kill Americans. You can see the anger in their eyes and body language. But most are friendly.
    You can see it in PR as well. But they are not the ones normally at the beach--they are the "independistas" living mostly in the interior towns. About 10-15% of PR would fall into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Any of those Central American countries have a percentage of inhabitants that want to kill Americans. You can see the anger in their eyes and body language. But most are friendly.
    You can see it in PR as well. But they are not the ones normally at the beach--they are the "independistas" living mostly in the interior towns. About 10-15% of PR would fall into that category.
    I've never felt threatened in my 4 trips down to PR but I could see some areas being pretty bad. Rincon usually seems chill but just outside of it has some rough looking areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    You can see the anger in their eyes and body language..
    Typical cop remark about non-whites

Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Typical cop remark about non-whites
    Your ignorance is superseded only by stupidity. Not all PRicans are non-whites.
    Last edited by Barry Cuda; Mar 11, 2016 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I've never felt threatened in my 4 trips down to PR but I could see some areas being pretty bad. Rincon usually seems chill but just outside of it has some rough looking areas.
    Neither have I. But then again, I am fluent in Spanish.
    But there is a degree of animosity, albeit small percentage. Those that are, are not against individual americans, per se, but rather, American government "colonialist" policies. There are a great number of highly intelligent natives who want to be independent of the USA; I believe they should be. They can make it work.