LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Packing for a surf trip

Can't wait on these cat-string playing chicks that won't make the whole trek from West Africa, and I've damn near ripped the waves in the pave of EMass dry with several hour sessions on the Carver board each day. It's time to pack up a slice of the quiver, a few pairs of baggies, and some tropical wax and head out where scoring won't be a myth, legend, or focal point of forum folklore.

What do you brahs bring for provisions on trips to Central America? I'm always one to be well-prepared, although overpacking is almost as bad as underpacking. I've got a spacious carry-on for my trunks, a couple tees, maybe reef boots and sneaks and that's about it other than my checked board bag with 2 sticks. This trip will be 90-95% surfing, with the remainder being an inability to go somewhere new and third world (ES=tenth) and not have some things to see and people to do. Don't anticipate any seven-course meals at ritzy joints, so I'm leaving the sensible pants at home.

I've traveled quite a bit internationally over the last decade, but this is my first real surf trip involving aviation. What do you guys bring when you go so you have what you need but not weighed down by too much? Any and all comments are welcome. Especially those pertaining to handling the real 8-10'!

LOTS of sunscreen, as it is super hot and the sun will scorch your northern skin, pack this in your checked bag though or you'll be throwing it out when they check your carry on. Lots of bug repellent, same thing, pack in checked baggage. I'd also pack some bottled water if you have room, that's just me. You'll want to have an extra leash or two in the event yours snaps in those 8-10ers. A 1st aid kit is always a good thing to have on hand too. Oh, and rubbers, looooots of rubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    LOTS of sunscreen, as it is super hot and the sun will scorch your northern skin, pack this in your checked bag though or you'll be throwing it out when they check your carry on. Lots of bug repellent, same thing, pack in checked baggage. I'd also pack some bottled water if you have room, that's just me. You'll want to have an extra leash or two in the event yours snaps in those 8-10ers. A 1st aid kit is always a good thing to have on hand too. Oh, and rubbers, looooots of rubbers.
    Leash? What's dat?!?! Ha, no really, I will strap up when it's legit surf. I've got them of all kinds. How long of a leash relative to board length do you guys think for this quality of wave as well as what thickness?

Not so much in the last two years, but between athletic and business careers I was flying 2-3x per week for several years post 9/11 and seen TSA go through its whole course of alerts. Don't have much issue staying under carry-on specs for liquids and such but I will pack them there and in board bag as well.

Will bottled water be that hard to find in ES? I hydrate like a mofo all day long, refuse to piss anything but clear. When I'm surfing non-stop and in high 80's water at that, I'll be sweating profusely. How accessible is safe, safe water?

As for sunscreen, I prefer zinc oxide as it's non-absorbent of UVs. What are your guys' thoughts on that? I'm not completely fair-skinned but do have some of that in my lineage. I have a very solid tan by this time of year being in the sun every day and not excessively, but a base tan is only 3-4 SPF I believe. Sounds like this sun is Africa hot. I got dragged to the wasteland of Aruba back in 2008 with an ex and the sun there was pretty hot.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Leash? What's dat?!?! Ha, no really, I will strap up when it's legit surf. I've got them of all kinds. How long of a leash relative to board length do you guys think for this quality of wave as well as what thickness
    I'm sorry, but I'm calling troll. Dude, seriously, how is it that you've only been surfing a couple months and you have a stash of every kind of leash and still haven't figured out what size leash to use for a certain length board.

Do everyone a favor and learn how to surf before you go giving gringo's a bad name.

This dude has to be NJShredMachine...I'm convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm calling troll. Dude, seriously, how is it that you've only been surfing a couple months and you have a stash of every kind of leash and still haven't figured out what size leash to use for a certain length board.

Do everyone a favor and learn how to surf before you go giving gringo's a bad name.

This dude has to be NJShredMachine...I'm convinced.
    I'm asking for YOUR OPINIONS of what to bring, use, and do. There's an avalanche of quality info spewing from the mouths of many who've been there when I haven't. So yeah Kock Barrells, I'm going to keep thanking those for it and keep welcoming more thoughts whether or not they're correct, useful, or things I'll go with. Most all are. Yes, I have an eff ton of leashes. They've been attached to most of the too many boards I've picked up and I've also got a few good FCS ones new over the months that, yes, were calculated purchases based on the length of board it was going on and the type of surf to ride with it in.

I could pull out the manufacturer's chart to answer the leash question but info is always helpful to be verified by trusted, experienced sources. Has every wetty that's ever been sold to you guys fit you exactly according to the XCEL/QS/BB/RC/BG/PG charts? Exactly. And we aren't talking about fashion here. It was a question pertaining to maximizing the safety, efficacy, and equipment used on a trip to a world-class spot that's both an investment of time and money as well as a big step up in setting for me.

We've got as much pissing and moaning about the supposed degeneration of this forum lately as there are morose posts about summer flatness. Yet you jump in with your GMOs to a thread that rocks and everyone's enjoying. Let the rest of us get back to the stoke of this thread while you go dine on your nightly phallic-shaped object. You can do all of us a favor and take the one that's shoved up your cavity and eat that one. Then maybe you won't troll a good thread you troll-calling slab of kook dung.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    We've got as much pissing and moaning about the supposed degeneration of this forum lately as there are morose posts about summer flatness. Yet you jump in with your GMOs to a thread that rocks and everyone's enjoying. Let the rest of us get back to the stoke of this thread while you go dine on your nightly phallic-shaped object. You can do all of us a favor and take the one that's shoved up your cavity and eat that one. Then maybe you won't troll a good thread you troll-calling slab of kook dung.
    definitely rubbers!!!!

I'd bring a golf umbrella and 50' of rope. I'd also bring several tarps that I'd give to ticos. As soon as I get to the beach, I'd find a good sized stick. the dogs down there are azzholes and occasionally need to be whomped.

Two pairs of shorts
    Two pairs of trunks
    Two towels in your board bag
    hat/visor
    sunglasses
    5 T shirts + one you wear on the plane, one of them long sleeve
    One pair of sandals (reefs, etc.)
    Do you wear underwear? If so, pack a few.
    Wax
    Wax comb/hair comb
    Toothbrush/paste
    Deodorant
    Bar of Soap in baggy
    Rash guard - I prefer the loose fitting style
    long sleeve wetsuit top
    Spare fins + key
    Two Boards
    Two leashes
    Passport
    Smartphone + charger
    Sunscreen
    Wallet with Money/CC (money belt if you're going somewhere sketchy)
    Backpack for your carry-on bag
    Last edited by Losttsol; Aug 16, 2013 at 07:59 PM.

Sunscreen and antibiotics.

If you're going to CR .... I'd leave the boards at home ... unless you absolutely need to ride your own stic. Rentals are plentiful down there and the boards are really in good shape if you go to the right place. If going near Tam ... I'd suggest Matos. Last time I went down I brought my brand new board, paid $50 each way on JetBlue to get it dinged ... and then 2nd time out clipped a rock with my fins and boogered up my fin box. End up renting for the rest of the trip for $8/day .... so $56 for the week vs the $140 I spent ($50 each way and 40 to fix). Nice thing about renting is they ususally allow you to trade it in on a daily basis ... if you get a small day ... you can grab a longer board ...etc.

Then again .... if you being no-madic .... bring your own. Just a pain in the @#@$ dragging it all around and transportation could be an issue.