LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: WTF Hurricanes

"Live by the water, die by the water"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    It's going to be really good in a couple weeks, boys....i can feel it
    I thought this morning was really good! Honestly I'll take this morning's chest high hollow northeast windswell over long period tropical garbage any day of the week.

That looks beautiful, wish I had have had the opportunity to get in the water today. Damn work!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I thought this morning was really good! Honestly I'll take this morning's chest high hollow northeast windswell over long period tropical garbage any day of the week.

that looks pretty fun and better than anything i've had lately...but no, i wouldn't trade it for a juicy macking long-period ground swell.

Yeah mitchell, that's good stuff! Good example of a little swell that's better on Delmarva than NJ.

Hurricane Bill swell was big but pretty closed out...

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Long period tropical is not garbage. But I would agree that a good NE is second only to a good tropical cyclone. Great pics! It was breaking that well at high tide? Today was a good day though, a lot better than I expected. I didn't get in until a little after noon at low tide, I'd call it thigh to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Why would you be celebrating a hurricane/noreaster by riding waves in it? Isn't that insulting to the property owners? By your logic it is.

I love the thrill of surfing. No. According to my logic saying things such as what you did is insulting to property owners. Keep up.

Images
    Thanks!

Yeah calling tropical groundswell garbage was not cool...it just seems like the beaches around here don't really break well with swell periods over 14 seconds. Those pics were shot at mid-tide outgoing...seems like we are blessed with good sand bars this summer...it tends to break through high and low tide with any swell over waist high.

Those pics look perfect. It was flat as a lake up here. Lucky bastards. Yeah short sand bars don't react well with swell 13 seconds or over. Head north boys where it's rocky.....or do a lot of looking around and maybe find a bar that can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    I'm glad someone said it!

On a more serious note, I'm all for people living as close as they want to the beachfront BUT not when the cost gets bucked to taxpayers like myself. One thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the issue of FEMA subsidizing insurance for flood prone areas. I think it was talked about in the Sandy thread though.

I had to check my facts on Wikipedia but basically what happened in the 50s is that insurance companies stopped insuring homes on the coast and flood plains because they were losing money. Eventually, however, the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) was created by the government to provide flood insurance for those in flood prone areas. The NFIP was supposed to be self-sufficient but they donít charge the full rate they should because a lot of homeowners canít afford it. They keep running up huge deficits and borrowing from the Treasury to keep solvent.

So taxpayers pay for people, rich and poor, to be able to live on the coast. Thatís the real issue. It doesnít matter what size house you have. If you live on the coast you should be paying insurance based on the real costs and risks of living there.

That is all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...urance_Program
    You bring up a good point. But what about all the folks on the Mississippi and its tributaries that get flooded out every so often. They get bailed out if they have flood insurance, and eat it if they don't. If you live in Arizona you pay to subsidize it. But if there is a fire in Arizona who pays for the firefighters and the insurance subsidies? We do. So maybe a national catastrophe insurance fund is in order. It sounds communist though. So what happens when the too big to fail interests - the re-insurers, the banks, the underwriters - get left holding the bag on a big hit (financial or weather related catastrophe)? Who pays then. We do - the taxpayers who have no direct vested interest. But it is all interconnected, so maybe a national cat fund is in order. Just wondering.