LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Hurricanes

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    I'm sure there are some rare exceptions(inherited wealth is still wealth of course!), but the majority of beachfront home owners are rich in nj.
    Oceanfront homes in NJ are generally worth over 1 million dollars.
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...eanfront-homes
    Average price is 1.1 million.

Some WAY more than that. A nurse or a teacher working full time couldn't dream of buying a home like that. Many people just own these as summer homes. There not even full time residences. Long island is even worse. Some of the homes in the hampton that are oceanfront go for like 30-50 millions. It's really kind of absurd and show the huge income inequality that exists.

Irregardless of being rich or not, we are overdeveloping our shoreline.
    Somebody sounds bitter that they chose to be a teacher.

I'm with you almost 100%... But the idea that it's all millionaires that lost their homes is wrong. Every community on the eater on LI got hammered. I'm not talking about beach front homes. Small towns on the bay not the ocean.

Oh give me a break. More people die from heat waves than hurricanes. Any loss of life in a hurricane is totally avoidable. It's all loss of property and and 98% of property damage is totally avoidable by not building so close to the ocean. Our coastline should be at least 75% national protected areas anyway. Not homes for millionaires who get subsidies. People build houses on stilts and are at risk of damage in some areas every time a low pressure system goes near, forget a hurricane. That should tell you something. And surfers don't want landfall anyway. They want that sucker spinning out in the Atlantic, which is what the majority do. We want waves, not destruction. Sandy was a FLUKE. Remember hurricane bill? Now that's what I'm talking about. Hurricanes are a natural meteorological phenomenon and is the way the planet distributes moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I'm with you almost 100%... But the idea that it's all millionaires that lost their homes is wrong. Every community on the eater on LI got hammered. I'm not talking about beach front homes. Small towns on the bay not the ocean.
    Yes that's true, but the majority of damage EVERY SINGLE year(sandy was a fluke) is to ocean front homes. That was the point I was trying to make. Every noreaster does damage in some area's to these homes. Some area's in new england have been abandoned. You can't fight mother nature. The ocean is constantly changing. Like I said, it's kind of mute point anyway whether their rich people or not when it comes to fact that we are overdeveloping our coast. Everyone who builds near a river that floods every 15 years isn't rich. Same principle applies.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Aug 19, 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i'm sure you're very smug, & that your belief that it's just "inhereted wealth" being destroyed makes you feel better about it, butnot everyone who owns a home along the shore comes from money. my family is descended from coal miners & sailors, yet we've lived & owned homes on barrier islands for more than 3 generations. my sister & her husband (both teachers) bought their home w/out a single penny of inherited money. my wife & i are in the process of doing the same. oceanfront? no, of course not. but as anyone who grew up along the coast knows, building & living directly on the beach is stupid.
    The coastline may be overdeveloped, but your constant harping about reclaiming the land for nature preserves & screwing the people who've lived in these places for generations is, frankly, insulting.
    I'm perfectly aware all wealth is not inherited. My god. Some people get lucky. Some people are really smart.
    Getting screwed? How is the government buying your house once it's been destroyed for fair market value getting screwed? The government has been subsidizing these land oceanfront owners for years. You just want to have your cake and eat it too. You want to ***** about surfers hoping for hurricanes not making landfall, yet live in a coastal area. Sort of like living in the high rockies and complaining about the snow.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Aug 19, 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicphoniks View Post
    No, not right.
    Why would you be celebrating a hurricane/noreaster by riding waves in it? Isn't that insulting to the property owners? By your logic it is.

if you live on the coast you accept the risks.

Images
    Here's a question for you coastal folks. How come so many of you were uninsured? Maybe you don't have mortgages?

The only way anyone in my neck of the woods can get away without having wind & hail, flood, and general homeowners insurance is if you own your house. I think it's pretty naive, even with the freak storm like Sandy, to not protect your investments with some insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    if you live on the coast you accept the risks.
    this is it. exactly.

Getting screwed? How is the government buying your house once it's been destroyed for fair market value getting screwed? The government has been subsidizing these land oceanfront owners for years. You just want to have your cake and eat it too. You want to ***** about surfers hoping for hurricanes not making landfall, yet live in a coastal area. Sort of like living in the high rockies and complaining about the snow.
    i didn't ***** about anything, smart guy. i've not said one word complaining about surfers hoping for non-landfalling hurricanes. i AM a surfer, for ****'s sake!
    as for how am i getting screwed? it's being screwed when the gov't tells me where i can & can't live, the gov't forcing my family out of a place it has inhabited for generations, since well before the coast was the fashionable place to go on vacation. i don't want it both ways, i want to be left alone. if my home is destroyed, let me rebuild it, don't pay me the "fair market value" of the empty lot & tell me to get on w/ my life. this IS my life.

THAT'S how it's being screwed. stop thinking you know what's best for someone & let them live their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Here's a question for you coastal folks. How come so many of you were uninsured? Maybe you don't have mortgages?

The only way anyone in my neck of the woods can get away without having wind & hail, flood, and general homeowners insurance is if you own your house. I think it's pretty naive, even with the freak storm like Sandy, to not protect your investments with some insurance.
    insurance doesnt help too much. I have flood insurance and it only covered the mechanicals in the basement
    and washer/dryer.
    thousands and thousands of dollars paid to the same insurance company over 25years and getting anything from them was nearly impossible.

I think the only way flood insurance would save the day is if one's home was completely destroyed and washed away.