LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    it's not an equipment problem. That coil sounds rad. Shoot, if anything, leave it at home and get a crappy log. You will catch more waves and ultimately become a better surfer. It's all about being in the right place in the right time, or, rather, putting yourself there.

Oh yeah, in central Fl I wouldn't worry too much about hh-doh... and if you are traveling you will quickly adjust. Big waves are easier, but maybe I just say that because I am lazy.
    This, right here. (that thudding sound was lee hitting the floor as he reels in shock at my agreeing with something he wrote.....no worries, he's young, he'll recover)

It's true, though. On the right coast, in summer, haul out the plank. Because the actual act of wave catching is the key to the ignition. Use the right equipment, practice angled takeoffs instead of the big swoop down the face where you outrun the wave & it 'dies' on you... (it didn't die on you, you're just out of position & too far off the shoulder), stay high on the wave whatever size it is & you've put yourself in the position to try some manoeuvers (sp).
    I'd just say one other thing: if you aren't crashing & burning on waves, then you're not trying anything to improve. Not a criticism at all; just the nature of any sport.

Sounds like you're really on track to become a skilled surfer. And then? You can test drive for the gnome.
    Last edited by yankee; Aug 21, 2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: couldn't resist the gnome thing

If you want to get better - you need to spend more time riding waves. But you know that
    Watching videos can help and if you are so inclined this book is worthwhile

http://www.amazon.com/Surfing-Manual...rfing+advanced

It is one thing to know what to do - it is another thing to get your body to do it -

On the subject of fins, they are fairly individual FCS has some good templates depending on how much you weigh. I think you have a 5 fin option - I like quads - the Stretch template in procore construction works good for me
    Jim
    Last edited by JTS; Aug 21, 2013 at 01:25 AM.

I think a lot of the advice given so far is spot on. I would also say if you want to get the most out of a wave as in longest ride then make sure your turns/hacks/gouges/Etc move you back to the sweet spot in the wave where the power keeps pushing you. If you mean getting the most out of the wave as in most powerful turns you can do then well I guess same thing would apply, stay in the pocket, build speed and bury the rail. Course typing that is a lot easier than actually doing it as my surfing will attest. Plus the cane swells that are coming (I'm an eternal optimist now) will help.

pay attention to your upper body. where are your shoulders in a turn? how about your trailing arm? head? These are important things in big turns.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    This, right here. (that thudding sound was lee hitting the floor as he reels in shock at my agreeing with something he wrote.....no worries, he's young, he'll recover)
    nah, we get along fine when surfing is actually the topic, rare an occasion that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilman Photography View Post
    watch lots of contests and videos of the pros when your not surfing and pause at each part of a move like before , during and after a turn to see what they are doing, the most important aspect is proper form, because unless your form is correct then you could try the same move forever and never get it right so try to have someone video you surfing in order to see what you need to work on.
    Thanks for the advice, I watch lots of video at home, but never really slow it down by frame (maybe I should), I just try and get as much mental imagery as I can so that when the time comes it's as if I've seen that scenario before and react as if I've been doing it all this time, also I do lots of "mental surfing", some call it visualization. "You gotta see it to conceive it?" I'm able to do some things here and there, I'm just trying to connect all the dots for one long fluid run with lots of style and power.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

It's true, though. On the right coast, in summer, haul out the plank. Because the actual act of wave catching is the key to the ignition. Use the right equipment, practice angled takeoffs instead of the big swoop down the face where you outrun the wave & it 'dies' on you... (it didn't die on you, you're just out of position & too far off the shoulder), stay high on the wave whatever size it is & you've put yourself in the position to try some manoeuvers (sp).
    I'd just say one other thing: if you aren't crashing & burning on waves, then you're not trying anything to improve. Not a criticism at all; just the nature of any sport.

Sounds like you're really on track to become a skilled surfer. And then? You can test drive for the gnome.
    Good stuff Yankee, I think you pretty much nailed it when it comes to out running the wave, staying in the pocket is what I need to improve on and the rest will probably come after that. Angled take offs are something I've been getting better at, but the bigger it gets the harder it seems to nail the take off on the angle, so sometimes I take the straight drop and try to make a solid bottom turn but it doesn't always work out, so that's something I'm going to focus on.

Now all i need is an orange jump suit and white space helmet to do some test driving for my little gnome buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    If you want to get better - you need to spend more time riding waves. But you know that
    Watching videos can help and if you are so inclined this book is worthwhile

http://www.amazon.com/Surfing-Manual...rfing+advanced

It is one thing to know what to do - it is another thing to get your body to do it -

On the subject of fins, they are fairly individual FCS has some good templates depending on how much you weigh. I think you have a 5 fin option - I like quads - the Stretch template in procore construction works good for me
    Jim
    Good suggestions Jim, I appreciate it. I'll check that book out and see if I can pull any nuggets from it. Yeah, I have the 5 Fin Fusion setup, I got the tri / quad set of TC Aqualines so I switch it up depending on my mood. Still prefer the thruster vs. quad, but who knows what time will change

bottom turn is a speed killer on anything under head high.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    bottom turn is a speed killer on anything under head high.
    Gotcha, guess I've been watching too many videos with perfect surf and replicating what's in my mind when i'm not getting anywhere near the same quality of wave, at least most of the time.