LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    maybe. what i am talking about is counter rotating the upper body in a turn. you see it all the time. Guy wants to do a big left carve starts the turn but rotates his upper body to t he RIGHT when he should be turning his whole body into the turn.
    Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I don't know that I do that but i'll keep an eye on it to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    maybe. what i am talking about is counter rotating the upper body in a turn. you see it all the time. Guy wants to do a big left carve starts the turn but rotates his upper body to t he RIGHT when he should be turning his whole body into the turn.
    I think to better summarize this.... basically turn your head to where you want to go and your upper body will follow creating the torque through your hips needed on the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Do those Indo boards really help? Anybody ever break an arm falling off one of those? I have great balance but hey ya never know HAHA

I'm thinking of getting a carver skateboard, lots of ppl on here have em and they swear by them, I just don't know how I'll like one compared to a regular skateboard which is what i'm more familiar with but I realize they are for two totally different things.

I'll have to pick up a pair of those TC Redlines one of these days to have around for when it gets juicy out there
    Was reading through all the posts, and was going to recommend a Carver for those flat spells. Picked one up last summer, and it has definitely made a difference. Been surfing for most my life, but working turns on the Carver has really translated well into the water. Really helps with the repetition of upper body positioning and generating power from your back leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Irish View Post
    Was reading through all the posts, and was going to recommend a Carver for those flat spells. Picked one up last summer, and it has definitely made a difference. Been surfing for most my life, but working turns on the Carver has really translated well into the water. Really helps with the repetition of upper body positioning and generating power from your back leg.
    Yeah i'm almost certain i'm going to pick one of these up. Do you have to buy online or do you think there is a local shop that carries what I need? I see different versions of them at the shops but they aren't "Carver" boards I don't think.

Yeah i'm almost certain i'm going to pick one of these up. Do you have to buy online or do you think there is a local shop that carries what I need? I see different versions of them at the shops but they aren't "Carver" boards I don't think.
    I picked mine up at a shop in NJ. I have seen a few shops up here that sell them, and, usually, they have a demo board you can try out in the lot. Just make sure it has the right trucks up front before making the purchase.

I picked mine up at a shop in NJ. I have seen a few shops up here that sell them, and, usually, they have a demo board you can try out in the lot. Just make sure it has the right trucks up front before making the purchase.
    Cool, at 5'9" and 170lbs, what size / model do you recommend?

I am 5'9" and closer to 2 bills, and I have a Monsta which is 31". Some may recommend one of the longer models, but that one works for me. Actually,the 35" Diamond Model looks pretty nice too. Also, I think the front truck you need is the C7.

I am 5'9" and closer to 2 bills, and I have a Monsta which is 31". Some may recommend one of the longer models, but that one works for me. Actually,the 35" Diamond Model looks pretty nice too. Also, I think the front truck you need is the C7.
    Sweet, thanks for the feedback, i'll check em out. I think i'm making decent turns, but I bet if I turned on the camera and watched myself i'd think differently, so this will help

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    ...practice angled takeoffs instead of the big swoop down the face where you outrun the wave & it 'dies' on you... (it didn't die on you, you're just out of position & too far off the shoulder), stay high on the wave whatever size it is & you've put yourself in the position to try some manoeuvers (sp).
    I'd just say one other thing: if you aren't crashing & burning on waves, then you're not trying anything to improve. Not a criticism at all; just the nature of any sport.
    I'm finding this advise very useful. Thanks.

SUP, your dimensions are nearly the same as mine. Add an inch and 3-5lbs. The Taylor Knox 31" is what I have and is awesome. I can get my surf stance on it and it's very good repetition even for foot placement on a pop up. Highly recommend getting one of these. Definite game changer. Plus tons of fun every day. Not only riding it but from seeing the looks you get from others, both commoners and skaters. They think you're a mystic with the things the Carver will do that a longboard skateboard will not.