LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    First board was an 8' WRV Funshape...still a good board. I busted the nose completely off and got some good exp fixing dings, in fact I need to attend to her b4 I float 'er again, I'm sure I'll get around to it one of these days

As I mentioned in another thread, my first board was a 9' yellow Liquid Shredder. I must have been 8. Rode it for a year or two before it snapped in half on a sandbar. I was so pissed. I still remember walking it out to the trash can. A couple pulled right over and asked if they could have it. The husband was going to try and repair it for their son, who was interested in surfing. Never saw the board again, but I do hope that it saw action once more.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Attachment 8644

This is my first board on my first day of surfing. I was hooked 100%. The board is a 9'0" singlefin Hunt Custom. I've only seen one other in SC so I don't know too much about it. Great board though, I was on it yesterday morning.

The lovely ladies in the pic are Ms. SC and Ms. Teen SC contestants. I was laying on the beach after wearing myself out paddling and not catching anything when all these girls start walking right towards me and the jetty I was near. They start taking a whole bunch of pictures and I'm enjoying the show. The photog asked if they could get a pic with me and I was more than happy to oblige. The rest is history.
    You definitely have game sir. On the beach and on the web.. Yankee HOTY..LMAO.

My first board was a 7' waterlogged, green with ducktape highlights, Nomad single fin. After I learned how to stand up on it, I moved the fin all the way up in the box so it could turn. It got stolen a couple of months later, because I had to hide it from my parents because they told me I would put my eye out if I surfed. So I kept it hidden in the bushes at Haunted House, which was an old abandoned house where we surfed at day and partied at night. Once it was gone, I manned up ( I was 14 ) and told my folks what happened and told them I was buying another board no matter what ( I had a paper route back then ). The rest is history..surfing has ruined my life.

Quote Originally Posted by SoDelLocal View Post
    6'5" patagonia that I bought at a neighbor's yardsale for $30
    Is your neighbor having anymore yardsales?

Geeze reading these posts tells me that I am really old, lol. My first board was a styrofoam board with a woven plastic skin, blue on top white on bottom with no fins, this was 1977. I rode that thing for 2 seasons and would paddle out right along the other guys like I was one of the gang. I could never understand why I couldn't get rides like the other guys. No one said a word to encourage or discourage me they just let me do my thing. I don't think young surfers today realize what an advantage in equipment etc that they have over people who grew up before all the advances. I can remember looking at magazines and see guys defying gravity in a committed bottom turn and trying a whole summer to do it. I mean even on waist high mush my whole wave would be about getting into that layed out position. I would blow wave after wave trying it. I never realized that it was a picture of a fraction of a second and then he was upright and moving towards the lip. Without moving live examples it wasn't that obvious. The only time I saw those maneuvers in motion was during one of the local surf movies that I could get to once a season.

^^lol, my first wave riding tool was a canvas surf mat then sponges came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Geeze reading these posts tells me that I am really old, lol. My first board was a styrofoam board with a woven plastic skin, blue on top white on bottom with no fins, this was 1977.
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    ^^lol, my first wave riding tool was a canvas surf mat then sponges came out.

I had both! I rode the blue/white styro behind the boat. Surf mats are just classic--especially given the amount of skin they can wear off your stomach and chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I had both! I rode the blue/white styro behind the boat. Surf mats are just classic--especially given the amount of skin they can wear off your stomach and chest.
    i had the rebel flag and the budweiser ones!

6' WRV rounded pin twin. Then moved to a couple of custom In The Eyes. Trashed the WRV turning it into a wakeboard (called a freeboard back then) by bolting sailboard straps to it and chopping the tail into a squash.