LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quad versus twinzer or twin fin

I ride a quad as my fish which is over 20 inches wide and has a thick rail. I tried out a 5'7 twin fin and found it to be looser which was fun in the mushy conditions I was in. Now I saw a twinzer and I hear that combines both boards and is very loose. I love my quad but wouldn't mind it to be a bit looser at times ad the twin fin I imagine will be squirly in any non mushy conditions. Anyone tried a twinzer? Basically my quad is super versatile can surf it from waist to overhead. When it's hollow I just ride my thruster but was wondering about the twinzer and I anyone has rode them?

A twinzer's leading fin operates as a canard (google it... there's lots of info out there), redirecting flow and modifying pressure around the main fin. It helps prevent spinout by keeping water attached to the main fin so it maintains lift, sucking the fin and inside rail down and into the water for increased stability and hold. What you feel depends largely on the placement, size, aspect ratio, etc. of the main fin, and the placement, size, foil and toe angle of the leading fin (along with a lot of other factors). So... not all twinzers feel the same, but they all share the same basic principle... increased stall angle and better stability and hold than a twin.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Apr 14, 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Would you say a twinzer holds as good as a quad I so I think it's a no brainer to switch over to a twinzer. They are supposed to be as loose feeling as a twin and of they hold fairly well then I am sold

LBC is right on...had a number of twinzers and summarize it as a twin with more stability and drive.

User Tchc85 had a quiver of twinzers for a while...PM him he swore by them!

Also, selfish promotion coming...be aware...

I've been selling a few for him...posted them a while ago--nt., the link below. Additionally, I'll be posting a few craigslist posts with reduced prices if you're interested in getting a used one before committing, nt., LINK.

Sorry for he high jack...carry on!

Brian wynn shaped me a twinzer fish liked it so much I got a minisimms twinzer shaped too. I tend to ride my boards with a heavy front foot so they work for me. But your right about hollow waves with juice thrusters/ quads more stable. Its more like an aggressive twin fin. You cant go wrong having one in your quiver.

i usually ride my mini simmons(mystic/jim dunlop)..as twinzer..or keels...
    but switched a neal purchase jr. quartet quad set up(good article on swaylocks)...
    big fins(5"+) up front...smaller 3.25" 's in the rear..been working really really well in all conditions..
    even switched my 6.8 (double bump roundtail) to it also..

Images
    Hey since you guys are on the twin fin topic slightly, and lb crew seems to know what's up, I was wondering if any of you could delve into the affects of twin keel fins specifically for fish shapes. I'm keen to hear opinions regarding the toe in angle if any and the corresponding fin foil types.

Charles keels tend to be more drivey, yet not so great on the turns. I hrew a pair of the Sea Shepherd keels in my fish and literally felt like i couldnt surf on them. I thought maybe it was just cause they were new and i was used to the T1's, but after trying them for a solid month in varying waves (heights, and conditions) it was still the same old story. Switched back to the T1's and all was good again.

I've only ever rode a garage shaped twinzer, it was super fast. But that could be just the overall fat, wide shape of the board. I prefer the looseness of a twin myself.

I've had a couple twinzers, which IMHO is a very efficient fin design, different shapers lay'em out in different ways. I had 1 from Larry Mabile very good fast board, loose . I have had 2 by Wayne Okamoto - both very good- drivey, loose, fast,, and hold well in steep and OH surf. I have what he calls "Dyna Pynzer" models you can see pictures on his blog (google oakfoils) but he uses the twinzer set up on many of his models.

How a twinzer works depends not just on the fin layout, but also how the shaper has done the template, rocker and rails. Good ones are great, try one from someone who has done a few and you will see they are fun, with good speed and range.
    I always recommend Wayne O - he is a great shaper, communicates well, turns boards around quick and is a stand up guy
    Jim

I guess best thing to do is hav a quad (love my quad) and get a twin fin beater for super mush days. Ohh well I may sell my current quad if anyone is looking I've had it for a bit want to upgrade get a new quad