LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Wave heights are measured off the back in purest terms so it's about half the face or so. Here is a great article about it http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/8...ght-in-surfing. The more common way of stating wave height now is by the face or surfable area so 6 ft would be head high to a 6 ft person.
    So teahpoo is 2 foot when it has a 25 foot face

Just saying. Asinine way to measure a wave. Thank god the people around here don't give a surf report like that. How exactly can you see the back of a wave from the beach anyway? Dumbest **** I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Asinine way to measure a wave. Thank god the people around here don't give a surf report like that. How exactly can you see the back of a wave from the beach anyway?
    you don't. just like rcarter said, it's about half of the face.
    it's just something we grew up on; we got used to it....

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    California reports it just like the east coast.
    No, no we don't. Our wave heights are much closer to Hawaiian scale. What we call flat, you guys call 2-3'. I've lived on the East Coast man, I've lived in Texas. I go to Hawaii every winter.

There's a reason I live out here and it ain't the expensive gasoline or the high cost of housing.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    No, no we don't. Our wave heights are much closer to Hawaiian scale. What we call flat, you guys call 2-3'.
    No you don't. I've seen the reports. Maybe YOU do, but not the reports. A waist high wave is not flat. It's waist high and I know I'd be pretty pissed off if someone was calling a waist high swell "flat". Flat is exactly that....flat. Unrideable. Call the wave height as you see it and forget this macho crap. Surfline calls a waist high swell in California waist high. And California has some of the easiest going mushy waves out there and well as spitting barrels(blacks). Something for everybody.

Images
    Good lord

These measurements aren't based on how an actual wave measures to you, but the heights are for a dude standing next to a wall and transferring these heights to waves.

1 foot.........Knee high
    2 foot.........thigh to waist high
    3 foot..........chest high
    4 foot.......... a foot bigger than chest high
    5 foot.......... head high(actually like 12 inches bigger than a 72 inch male)
    6 foot.......... a foot bigger than head high......look at your house....look at your doors......aboot the height of the door frame thing,
    8 foot(don't ever say 7 foot) getting sizeable, a couple feet overhead.......again look at your house, see where the wall meets the ceiling....that's 8 foot.....you people with high ceilings piss-off

Anything bigger, besides New England point breaks, is victory at sea, wildly out of control conditions.....

Once a decade a few beachbreaks will hold a 12+ swell...........Very rare.

These measurements are consistent with 25 years of reading Californian surf mags, Greg "Grog" Masanko's Grog's Surf Palace Surf Report, Mr. John's Surf Unlimited Surf Report, and Surfers Supplies Surf Report.

This is the correct way. And y'all will use it.

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    here on the ec 5ft means 3ft.2-3ft means flat.its basically the opposite of Hawaii.for instance,it says waist high today but check a cam,its flat
    This is complete nonsense.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Good lord

These measurements aren't based on how an actual wave measures to you, but the heights are for a dude standing next to a wall and transferring these heights to waves.

1 foot.........Knee high
    2 foot.........thigh to waist high
    3 foot..........chest high
    4 foot.......... a foot bigger than chest high
    5 foot.......... head high(actually like 12 inches bigger than a 72 inch male)
    6 foot.......... a foot bigger than head high......look at your house....look at your doors......aboot the height of the door frame thing,
    8 foot(don't ever say 7 foot) getting sizeable, a couple feet overhead.......again look at your house, see where the wall meets the ceiling....that's 8 foot.....you people with high ceilings piss-off

Anything bigger, besides New England point breaks, is victory at sea, wildly out of control conditions.....

Once a decade a few beachbreaks will hold a 12+ swell...........Very rare.

These measurements are consistent with 25 years of reading Californian surf mags, Greg "Grog" Masanko's Grog's Surf Palace Surf Report, Mr. John's Surf Unlimited Surf Report, and Surfers Supplies Surf Report.

This is the correct way. And y'all will use it.
    i think you got it wrong because here in the south we use a different scale its called the beer to waves ratio scale. if you have enough before you go out a ankle wave in jersey of course it a double over calf here, like i dont know where yall get this head high crap... its called eye ball high, and the best height of all is cock high when you can really fuk the wave the way you want to.

the reports use buoy data. 2-3 ft at short period is actually 2-3 feet. 2-3 ft swell hitting the islands at 18+ seconds is about head high. So yes, and no. That front of the wave vs back of the wave nonsense is just people trying to justify not knowing what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Spunjer View Post
    need some help here in deciphering the surf report, fellas...
    coming from the islands, we tend to have a different version when it comes to wave sizes. for instance, a 3-5 ft surf with the occasional 6 ft sets would be a double overhead. here on the east coast, when sites like swellinfo and magic seaweed calls for a 2-3 ft surf, is it really 2-3 ft, as in 24-36 inches before it breaks, or after, or something else?
    be taking a trip to OBX next week, and just trying to get some idea on the place.
    mahalo
    The reports I see on the East coast mostly have a relation to body heigth unless ones talking about off shore wave heights. Also our continental shelf drags down wave size and we're left with a mushy short period wind swell. I'm glad to see big wave chargers calling 40 feet what it really is...40 feet not 20 feet. BTW, if its double overhead here you may not make it out...no channels here.

these "scales" and their cute summer pro tag names dont evne matter. just surf and do it well.

Benny "dude how were the waves"
    War CHild "they were awsome. head high island scale"
    Benny "so like waist high eastern seaboard scale"
    War Child "nah mayne head high island scale would be waist high western scale or thigh high eastern seaboard scale."
    Benny "gopro footage or it didnt happen."