LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wetsuit Question

Hey guys, my buddy has a 20-30 year old barely used like 400 dollar body glove wetsuit that he gave me 2 peice overalls plus jacket im assuming its a 2 on the arms and legs but maybe a 4 where the 2mm chest panels and back panels overlap? I was just wondering if it would keep me warm down to like mid 50's water temp because i've never used it in water that cold.

did you say 20-30 years old? since i can't see it, and can only assume..the technology in wetsuits have made leaps and bounds in the past 10 years, newer suits are just better...more flex, better insulating materials...

...if your concerned about something lasting you into the mid-50's, personally I would pick up a good 3/2, which shouldn't run you more than about 200 bones...one with an attachable hood.

My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    did you say 20-30 years old? since i can't see it, and can only assume..the technology in wetsuits have made leaps and bounds in the past 10 years, newer suits are just better...more flex, better insulating materials...

...if your concerned about something lasting you into the mid-50's, personally I would pick up a good 3/2, which shouldn't run you more than about 200 bones...one with an attachable hood.

My $.02.
    Yeah it was like one of the best suits you could buy back then but newer suits are alot better. Ill probably try it out and if it gets chilly too fast ill just order a rip curl or oneal 3 2

I thought wetsuits were made of sheep's wool and raw hide back then?

In all seriousness, I think the farmer john will be far less flexible / enjoyable to wear than a new 100% stretch suit, but why not give it a shot first.

Images
    Farmer John's are designed to leak. Do as much as you can to avoid the flushing factor on a wetsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Farmer John's are designed to leak. Do as much as you can to avoid the flushing factor on a wetsuit.
    Oh, i didn't know they were supposed to flush. It kept me toasty in 65 degree water but flushed everytime a wave would hit me in the midsection. Its extremely tight on me so it doesnt leak too bad but it does flush when waves hit certain areas, though when i went underwater didnt notice too much flushing

I wore gloves and boots with it which really helped to seal it better too

buy a new wetsuit. A good suit will improve your surfing a ton. And make it a hell of alot more enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by mkorich View Post
    buy a new wetsuit. A good suit will improve your surfing a ton. And make it a hell of alot more enjoyable
    Yeah i'll see how long into the winter it lasts then ill probably buy a 4 3 new body glove or oneil wetsuit

Images
    My father used to say,''If you don't want to listen, you'll have to feel.'' He was a very wise man.