LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    its the oceans way of telling us she has had enough of the the f'ing lifeguards. you wait, she will turn on as soon as they go home.
    I wished the lifeguards actually stuck around like in Cali. When the swells finally arrive, they leave! Ridiculous You never know when you might need one. Experienced surfers have been saved by them. The ocean is no joke especially when it's overhead at a beach break and the beach is empty. If anything goes wrong, you're **** out of luck.

I wouldn't trust 95% of lifeguards I know to save a turd in a toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    I wished the lifeguards actually stuck around like in Cali. When the swells finally arrive, they leave! Ridiculous You never know when you might need one. Experienced surfers have been saved by them. The ocean is no joke especially when it's overhead at a beach break and the beach is empty. If anything goes wrong, you're **** out of luck.
    Surfers look out for one another in conditions that are dangerous, I've seen it first hand, if you are surfing in a spot with nobody out then be blessed it's empty but if you are afraid to surf alone then find a small crowd or bring a buddy and keep an eye on each other. I saw a guy drown at New Smyrna Beach WHILE the lifeguards were present, it didn't matter, nothing they could have done. So don't let them give you a false sense of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Surfers look out for one another in conditions that are dangerous, I've seen it first hand, if you are surfing in a spot with nobody out then be blessed it's empty but if you are afraid to surf alone then find a small crowd or bring a buddy and keep an eye on each other. I saw a guy drown at New Smyrna Beach WHILE the lifeguards were present, it didn't matter, nothing they could have done. So don't let them give you a false sense of safety.
    It's not a false sense of safety. I wouldn't go out in conditions I felt were above my ability regardless of whether there are lifeguards or not. It's just common sense that having lifeguards is safer and are nice to have in the rare case that something happens.

I have never seen an experienced surfer be saved by a stinkin lifeguard on the EC.

hmmm. lol Yeah I think you should visit the north shore patrol or some newport calif lifeguards sometime. They pull people out of conditions at the wedge that 99% of the people on this forum never even experienced before. These guys are no joke. Their professionals and they save countless swimmers, surfers, boogie boarders ect.

except MOST guards would not come in after you in heavy conditions. they would stand on the beach and blow the whistle at you as you drowned.

hmmm. lol Yeah I think you should visit the north shore patrol or some newport calif lifeguards sometime. They pull people out of conditions at the wedge that 99% of the people on this forum never even experienced before. These guys are no joke. Their professionals and they save countless swimmers, surfers, boogie boarders ect.
    we are talking EC here are we not????

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    I have never seen an experienced surfer be saved by a stinkin lifeguard on the EC.
    I've never been pulled out of the water myself by a lifeguard. Don't underestimate the ocean. I think people on the ec. don't like lifeguards because they put all kinds of restrictions in a lot of places once there's a swell. This doesn't happen on other coasts.

Images
    +1 The couple chest to head high days we had in July got real rippy at my spot, which is normal there, but every time they had to do a swin rescue the surfers and spongers in the water already had their eyes on the people in trouble and were there waaay before the lifeguards. There's one cool lifeguard at this spot who bodysurfs and sponges on his breaks, the others just sit there and tan and shave their legs.

I'm sure the guys in Hawaii are real watermen, and probly in Cali too...my statement applies to the EC.