LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    we don't like guards here because most of them are incompetent. Most of have had stories of saving somebody when the guards would not go into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    except MOST guards would not come in after you in heavy conditions. they would stand on the beach and blow the whistle at you as you drowned.
    haha. What area are you in that have lifeguards THAT bad? Certainly part of the problem on the mid atlantic to northeast is that the lifeguards are seasonal rather than pro's, but still. I think they deserve more credit than that.

we don't like guards here because most of them are incompetent. Most of have had stories of saving somebody when the guards would not go into the water.
    That's disgusting. They should be fired on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    haha. What area are you in that have lifeguards THAT bad? Certainly part of the problem on the mid atlantic to northeast is that the lifeguards are seasonal rather than pro's, but still. I think they deserve more credit than that.
    I don't based on 30 years of experience.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-lifegu...opstories.html

and when lifeguards do the right thing this happens...

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    +1 The couple chest to head high days we had in July got real rippy at my spot, which is normal there, but every time they had to do a swin rescue the surfers and spongers in the water already had their eyes on the people in trouble and were there waaay before the lifeguards. There's one cool lifeguard at this spot who bodysurfs and sponges on his breaks, the others just sit there and tan and shave their legs.

I'm sure the guys in Hawaii are real watermen, and probly in Cali too...my statement applies to the EC.
    Of course you'll get there first sitting in the lineup right next to the person who's having trouble!
    That place can get empty after labor day. Let's not name it on here, but we both know which one we are talking about. It's different in summer swells. Lots of people. I've seen that spot deserted for 2 miles outside of summer. I'm just saying, if I have a choice, I'd rather have a lifeguard watching over when it's heavy and overhead and you can barely make it out. Maybe you have more water skills than I do that you make you more comfortable than me. But for me, I'd rather have guards and I find it frustrating that there their when I don't need them(waist high swells in the summer) and when it starts getting real they take off!
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Aug 27, 2013 at 02:49 PM.

I made a save on a girl in a rip a few years ago and got reamed out for by the guard and his boss. SH, I would rather have another surfer watching out then a guard.

I don't based on 30 years of experience.
    Dudes - blame the system, not the guards. They all passed some type of standardized physical test to be certified as a life guard. If most of them really suck that bad, it's a much bigger issue with the entire certification process. They probably have higher standards in HI and CA, hence the better performance. They're just doing what's expected of them, and the bar has been set pretty low. I'd never not surf because there's no guard on duty, but it can never hurt to have one there, especially if it's a sassy young lady.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Of course you'll get there first sitting in the lineup right next to the person who's having trouble!
    That place can get empty after labor day. Let's not name it on here, but we both know which one we are talking about. It's different in summer swells. Lots of people. I've seen that spot deserted for 2 miles. I'm just saying, if I have a choice, I'd rather have a lifeguard watching over when it's heavy and overhead and you can barely make it out. Maybe you have more water skills than I do that you make you more comfortable than me. But for me, I'd rather have guards and I find it frustrating that there their when I don't need them(waist high swells in the summer) and when it starts getting real they take off!
    Absolutely, very desolate in the off season(well, on season really), and IMO, very heavy once it starts hitting 6 ft and up... in those cases I'll go elsewhere where there might be a few guys out.

Oh and I should also add there are countless swimmers than drown in september every year on the ec. If you look at lifeguard protected beaches, drownings are almost unheard of.