LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Yet another wetsuit question...hooded or not?

I surf virginia beach almost exclusively and I'm about to make the plunge to get more sessions in. I'm really not sure how far my 3/2 will get me into the fall because I pretty much wrap it up once the time changes but starting this year I want to go into the winter. I'm looking at getting a 4/3 xcel dry lock but am struggling with hood or no hood. So what do the people of Hampton Roads do?

I say hood it. The water does get pretty cold here. If we are lucky the 3/2 goes through mid December. Plus after two or three cold waves on the head, doesn't feel good at 48degrees. Also I own a 5/4/3 dry lock and it is a very good suit. Head stays relatively warmer and no neck rush from being open. I use three mil gloves hands never get cold.

I have gone as low as 44 degree water in a 4/3 without the hood and just a surf cap. 3mm gloves and boots. wasnt too cold.

Thanks for the input. Just to be clear I'm talking about wetsuits with attached hoods vs not. If I got a wetsuit w/out an attached hood I would still buy a hood to wear or a vest with a hood.

id say go with attached hood.

Get it w/o the hood.. and get a hooded vest. You will have days when you don't want the hood... You will also have days when a 3/2 wit the hood is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    Get it w/o the hood.. and get a hooded vest. You will have days when you don't want the hood... You will also have days when a 3/2 wit the hood is all you need.
    100% second. Sometimes you'll want a 4/3 no hood (warm air in early spring) and other times you'll want a hood with your 3/2 (cold/windy fall day). Xcel is the only wetsuit to own but I think my hooded vest is oniell

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.gnar28 View Post
    100% second. Sometimes you'll want a 4/3 no hood (warm air in early spring) and other times you'll want a hood with your 3/2 (cold/windy fall day). Xcel is the only wetsuit to own but I think my hooded vest is oniell
    Dude, so true. I've always only owned xcel's until this summer when I bought a Ripcurl Flashbomb 3/2 just to try something different. Although I don't have any complaints about the Ripcurl yet, I have a feeling I will. Plus I don't understand why you would have a chest zip go from inside out. Makes no sense!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    Dude, so true. I've always only owned xcel's until this summer when I bought a Ripcurl Flashbomb 3/2 just to try something different. Although I don't have any complaints about the Ripcurl yet, I have a feeling I will. Plus I don't understand why you would have a chest zip go from inside out. Makes no sense!
    Why would you buy a suit if you expect it to disappoint you eventually? That make a no sense. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of your Ripcurl suit, I've got a 3/2 DawnPatrol (i know) and it works perfectly, no issues, have had it for several years now and it gets lots of use. Have yet to break a seam or anything, zipper stays up too.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Why would you buy a suit if you expect it to disappoint you eventually? That make a no sense. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of your Ripcurl suit, I've got a 3/2 DawnPatrol (i know) and it works perfectly, no issues, have had it for several years now and it gets lots of use. Have yet to break a seam or anything, zipper stays up too.
    I didn't buy it expecting it to disappoint me. I guess I'm just annoyed with the chest zip thing. Plus it fits a little tighter than my xcel which I'm not super-psyched on. But I've literally only worn it three times since I bought it in June/July so I guess I should give it a chance.

I'm glad to hear that you're liking yours. Hopefully mine holds up well too!