LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    So I reckon from Mitchell's account(thanks for the info and time) my ears aren't as screwed as I thought. I can still hear. But I always have ear pain/congestion. I always have sinus problems. And I mean always.

And now my eyes are screwed up...And those bastards around RC's in Florida won't give me a pair of sunglasses !!

Kids wear ear plugs if you shralp the winter juice, and live fast and die young. Trust me..........

As a musician this is absolutely scary. I got fitted for Pro Plugs. They're vented to let in sounds but keep water out. They also are great if you go to loud rock shows. I'm seeing Muse in Philly soon and bringing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Henny View Post
    Take a look at the O'neill Mutant...
    this. and...it comes as a 5/4, i believe. better too warm than too cold.

& realistically, a 3/2 & a 5/4 will cover all your bases for year-round surfing. since you already have a 3/2, a 4/3 isn't really going to get you a significant amount of added warmth. a 5/4 will.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post

& realistically, a 3/2 & a 5/4 will cover all your bases for year-round surfing. since you already have a 3/2, a 4/3 isn't really going to get you a significant amount of added warmth. a 5/4 will.
    Valid point as long as you have a good, sealed 3/2. If you have the cheapy $100 unselaed kind (like me) the difference between the 3/2 and a good 4/3 is massive.

yep, I wear a 4/3 year 'round here. Tried a 3/2 and froze my ass off. However, I wouldn't expect a 4/3 to keep me warm enough in VA winter water temps.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Why would you buy a suit if you expect it to disappoint you eventually? That make a no sense. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of your Ripcurl suit, I've got a 3/2 DawnPatrol (i know) and it works perfectly, no issues, have had it for several years now and it gets lots of use. Have yet to break a seam or anything, zipper stays up too.
    I didn't buy it expecting it to disappoint me. I guess I'm just annoyed with the chest zip thing. Plus it fits a little tighter than my xcel which I'm not super-psyched on. But I've literally only worn it three times since I bought it in June/July so I guess I should give it a chance.

I'm glad to hear that you're liking yours. Hopefully mine holds up well too!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    I didn't buy it expecting it to disappoint me. I guess I'm just annoyed with the chest zip thing. Plus it fits a little tighter than my xcel which I'm not super-psyched on. But I've literally only worn it three times since I bought it in June/July so I guess I should give it a chance.

I'm glad to hear that you're liking yours. Hopefully mine holds up well too!
    Word. It might be tight, but we as men are use to fitting our stuff into tight places aren't we?
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    JTS- my surgeon mentioned that they might have to do mine that way, and that they couldnt be 100% sure until they actually started the procedure, but he didnt end up needing to move my outer ear out of the way.

So let me ask you this: 10-15 years later, are you symptom free? Have you continued to surf year around?
    Mitchell – I’ve continued to surf year round. I am more selective about what I surf in the winter now – but I am also pushing 55 so it is more about days that I enjoy than just being in the water.

I don’t have any symptoms now, although even @ 95% blocked I had no infections or hearing problems – my problem was inability to clear the water out of the ear. I always have the Drs look in my ears to make sure they can see the ear drum, and I ask them to describe how the ear canal looks – the bones are slowly growing back - I wear hoods religiously now though so hopefully I won’t have to go through that again. I just look at it like a mid life overhaul of the ears – bore’em out and they are good for another 20-25 years.

Another thing my surgeon told me was to rinse the ears out with 4:1 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar, helps dry out the water and the vinegar creates an acidic environment to deter bacterial growth.
    Good luck

On the issue of wetsuits for the VB/OBX area I have been surfing this area since 85 and never used anything heavier than a 4/3 until a few years back when it got exceptionally cold one winter and I got a 5/3 - I pull that out about 1 or 2 times a year if that. A good hooded 4/3 is a good winter suit for this area - y'all up in NJ and farther north def need more. I rely on blubber though, that may explain some of it too
    Jim

My ENT doc told me to make a mixture of vinegar and alcohol. Take an eyedropper and put a few drops in before and after a surf.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post

that's what i rock, got 3/2 & 5/4 Mutants, besides a spring suit and boardshorts, they get me thru the year...

and no complaints here with O'Neill (as long as your diligent about rinsing in fresh water after every sesh)

...the ability to switch up the hood or neck guard in seconds def makes it easy when it's GO time....
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM.