LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Yet another wetsuit question...hooded or not?

I surf virginia beach almost exclusively and I'm about to make the plunge to get more sessions in. I'm really not sure how far my 3/2 will get me into the fall because I pretty much wrap it up once the time changes but starting this year I want to go into the winter. I'm looking at getting a 4/3 xcel dry lock but am struggling with hood or no hood. So what do the people of Hampton Roads do?

I say hood it. The water does get pretty cold here. If we are lucky the 3/2 goes through mid December. Plus after two or three cold waves on the head, doesn't feel good at 48degrees. Also I own a 5/4/3 dry lock and it is a very good suit. Head stays relatively warmer and no neck rush from being open. I use three mil gloves hands never get cold.

Thanks for the input. Just to be clear I'm talking about wetsuits with attached hoods vs not. If I got a wetsuit w/out an attached hood I would still buy a hood to wear or a vest with a hood.

id say go with attached hood.

I have gone as low as 44 degree water in a 4/3 without the hood and just a surf cap. 3mm gloves and boots. wasnt too cold.

Get it w/o the hood.. and get a hooded vest. You will have days when you don't want the hood... You will also have days when a 3/2 wit the hood is all you need.

Does trevolution only buy hoodless suits now that he's got that spit hood courtesy of the PD?

Comfort and pain are all subjective to the individual. Mid-40's and I'm hoodless. But I wouldn't advise anyone else to do some/most of the things I do.

Bi-stater had good points about days not wanting the hood and also the 3/2 plus hooded vest being more than adequate on others.

Take a look at the O'neill Mutant...

Images
    If you like hearing, and pain free ears, wear the hood in the colder months.

Images
    Hood ...........

And get a 5 mil ......scratch the 4 mil. They're absolutely pointless for the mid-Atlantic region. You can wear a 5 mil until it's time to don the 3 mil. These guys who get too hot because it's 50 F in the air and 53 in the water have menopause or something. You can wear a 5 mil until 54-55 F. Plus it will give you that added warmth. It gets cold in Virginia, man.

And wear earplugs during the cold months........just do it.