LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    supposedly, the couch potato's tail was designed for controllers. idk, might not work as well on a different tail shape/size or fin box placement. Anyway, like I said, I'm not married to them...yet
    Last edited by waterbaby; Aug 29, 2013 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    LMAO...please don't listen to this guy. fins make a HUGE difference...i've had boards that were utter dogs w/ the stock plastic fins that came to life w/ the right set of fins (sometimes even just the same template in better materials).

the big question here is, how big are you? height/weight? it plays a role in fin selection. i agree w/ the "avoid the controller quad" advice. if you're a bigger guy, the AM-2 techflex 5 fin &/or MB-2 5 fin sets are good choices. the clay marzo 5 fin set is a good choice for medium sized guys as well.
    i am 6'1 and about 155. and i know different fins make a difference. when i put my premiums on the JS it handles better than the F4s but im not sure if it could handle better ya know??

General rule of thumb: Wider tail = Needs more fin area.

But, of course, there are plenty of exceptions and a lot of it comes down to personal preference and style. I'm currently getting ready to put myself into some paralysis of analysis and try out some new fin combos. njsurfer42 is inspiring me to become a fin geek.

I personally like fins with some cant in them, didn't really know this until I got some Aqualines earlier this year--before I was just a plain old pc-5 kinda guy (ok, I use fcs, but you get the point).

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    i am 6'1 and about 155. and i know different fins make a difference. when i put my premiums on the JS it handles better than the F4s but im not sure if it could handle better ya know??
    try the marzo set. it's too small for me, but it seems to be a good all around template. quad rears are a little small for my taste, but the pier pony has a fairly pulled in squash tail for that type of design as i recall, so that may be ok. don't be afraid to mix & match, also. i can count on one hand the number of times i've had a quad set work great straight out of the box. usually i end of swapping stuff around & riding a franken-set to get the right feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    njsurfer42 is inspiring me to become a fin geek.

I personally like fins with some cant in them, didn't really know this until I got some Aqualines earlier this year--before I was just a plain old pc-5 kinda guy (ok, I use fcs, but you get the point).
    i can't help it, i'm a nerd.

fcs has the cant built into the box...do the aqualines have additional cant built into them like the h-2's?

i can't help it, i'm a nerd.

fcs has the cant built into the box...do the aqualines have additional cant built into them like the h-2's?

Yep. My boards have little to no cant in the box... I WANT SOME H-2's!

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Yep. My boards have little to no cant in the box... I WANT SOME H-2's!
    that's interesting. bad install maybe?

h-2's were fun in the right waves, but not a good all-around fin, imo. they're so low area, i felt they needed a wave w/ a bit more push to really shine.

that's interesting. bad install maybe?

h-2's were fun in the right waves, but not a good all-around fin, imo. they're so low area, i felt they needed a wave w/ a bit more push to really shine.
    I'll pull out an angle finder and see, but I don't think they're any more than 3 degrees or so.

Images
    I run FCS in a board that was shaped after the couch potato (pic here)
    I just recently discovered the magic combo (i know you're running Futures, but maybe you can correlate to a Futures fin). I use the MR-TFX up front and the aqualine quad rears in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Exit98Surf View Post
    (i know you're running Futures, but maybe you can correlate to a Futures fin). I use the MR-TFX up front and the aqualine quad rears in the back.
    would be T-1 or MTF up front, QD-2 375's or small in the back (aqualine rear is 366).