LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Nicaragua or El Salvador

Me and my buddy plan on going international and i wanna get a head start soo which is better?

Images
    El Salvador.

ES. It was straight up sick this past week. And dirt cheap.

Images
    El Salvador is incredible

How safe is El Salvador and where are some good places to stay?

Images
    El Salvador = Right Point Breaks
    Nicaragua = Offshore winds all day long, mostly lefts, some rights.
    Same swell hits both places, but different setups.
    The main place to surf in El Salvador, La Libertad, is a town where you can more easily travel around. In Nicaragua, its much harder to travel, and more then likely you will be staying in your surf camp unless you have someone to drive you around.

PS. I've been to Nicaragua, but not to El Salvador.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsurfer2 View Post
    How safe is El Salvador and where are some good places to stay?
    Plenty safe near or at the surf camps. Tourism is a new thing to them because if the civil unrest until the past decade so they can use all the promotion they can get. Security is high around the surf camps. El Tunco (near Sunzal and Bocana breaks) has a ton of adjacent surf camps and hostels for very cheap. It's 10 minutes from La Libertad which is the city area and known to be rough at night but you'll see none of that if you're safe at rest in a surf camp. Punta Roca (site of ASP tour event) and La Paz are two superb breaks in La Libertad. Mizata and K59 as well as El Zonte are all within 30-45 minutes of El Tunco and have great breaks and good cheap places to stay. Three hours away on the Nicaragua side is Las Flores and although remote to all the other breaks, it is awesome. Finished the trip there yesterday.

Happy to share details on PM and there's others on here with experience visiting ES. So underrated and your money goes miles there.

Both are pretty good as far as surf and scoring waves. If you are looking to rent a car and drive around to different breaks I would recommend Nicaragua. If you go to El Salvador you will really need to hook up with a local guide. In El Salvador its tough to just pull up and paddle out without knowing someone. Its relatively safe but don't go at it alone and I would advise against going out for nightlife. Nicaragua is a lot safer and friendlier to drive around to different breaks. Nicaragua is just like Costa was 20 years ago!

Just recently went to Nicaragua and the surf was insane! Outer reef in Popoyo was easily 25' plus! Unless you are very hard core you will be watching from the cliffs above! The beach break and inside reef is where to go! Also Playgrounds and Colorado's is sick! Need a boat to get to though.

In El Salvador k59 and Roca in La Libertad are the sweet spots! Edgar has a nice place right there on the beach in k59 and is also a good guide.

El Salvador is perfect for a shorter trip! The airport is close by to the beach and is easy coming and going. Nicaragua is great but the beach is a few hours of mostly dirt roads from the airport (Managua). During the rainy season you may some river obstacles to overcome.

El sal... Was down there in august and had a great time. Split time between Las Flores and La Libertad. Surfed las flores, punta mango, punta roca, k59 and a number of other breaks up north. People were friendly, roads are solid. At no point did we have any trouble. Considered Nica, but the right points and logistics in ES pushed us in that direction. Could not have been more pleased with the trip. PM me with questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 15stwr; Sep 20, 2013 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 15stwr View Post
    El sal... Was down there in august and had a great time. Split time between Las Flores and La Libertad. Surfed las flores, punta mango, punta roca, k59 and a number of other breaks up north. People were friendly, roads are solid. At no point did we have any trouble. Considered Nica, but the right points and logistics in ES pushed us in that direction. Could not have been more pleased with the trip. PM me with questions.
    We're you there early or late August? Nice pic! Which break was that at? I'm assuming Flores/Mango given the water not being brown haha. Sounds like you hit just about every break in the country. Mizata included and El Zonte? Very glad we finished up the last day at Flores/Mango after Sunzal/Bocana being good but needing a change after 6 days. Glad you scored!