LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waves

Quote Originally Posted by seanmcgaff View Post
    thanks for the reminder. Sometimes it gets easy to forget how lucky i am!
    Yeah bro- I grew up in and surfed So Cal until my late twenties. Moved to the PacNW about 8 years ago. Even though our swells up here are way more consistant than the East coast, you really don't know how good Lowers or Swamii's or even Huntington-freaking-Pier is until you're dealing with toilet bowl ripple slop that you have to pump a 10'0" log to catch. Our, umm, "surf" season is upon us though... no more kooks on soft-tops flailing about on the inside when the waves get more than waist high thank god.

don't forget the zillions of surfers at those world class socal spots. Good luck getting a wave at swamis without a longboard (fortunately there's a decent, practically empty wave just up the beach). Trestles is a slalom course of people...when you finally do get a wave to yourself. Huntington gets so crowded, you can barely see any water...and most of them can't paddle, so they just sit there as obstacles.

pacNW is a compromise; and not a bad one, once you get used to it: relatively empty/consistent breaks (is there ever an unrideable day?) in exchange for year-round freezing water and onshore wind...plus some of the best snowboarding in the world.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Sep 13, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

There are always waves...they are just very small, but surfable on the East Coast. It's sad, but yes, I still choose water time over other activities all the time. Paddington is right. This is my announcement...when I go to AC to visit some family, he will receive the coveted PM. It would be my first and boy I am so nervous...like...will he say "yes"? Perhaps "maybe"? That's not entirely a "no". Like OMG! I should get up there ASAP, but the Jersey trip is procrastinated until I have a moment in the middle of the night where I decide "Ima go up there and get myself confused on some substance".

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    pacNW is a compromise; and not a bad one, once you get used to it: relatively empty/consistent breaks (is there ever an unrideable day?) in exchange for year-round freezing water and onshore wind...plus some of the best snowboarding in the world.
    No, you're spot on man- wearing at least a 4/3 and booties year round took a bit to get used to but I'll take that and the sparse line-ups any day over HB or Rincon or anywhere else south of SB. And aside from Seaside localism is almost non-existent. I think if anything the PacNW forces you to be a more resilient, observant surfer- I can read the bouys and wind and make my own predictions way better than I ever could have in SoCal. Most of the good breaks can't even be seen from the highway. You gotta hike, climb, fight off bigfoot...