LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help....cracked nose.

I put a nice crack in the nose of my FireWire Sweet Potato.
    I've done fiberglass repair on my other boards, but I've never messed with an epoxy board, so not sure what to expect.
    If anybody has any experience fixing an epoxy board, I would appreciate all suggestions, even smarta$$ ones...lol.
    I'll post pics later, thanks.

its the same, just make sure you have an epoxy repair kit. epoxy can be used on both epoxy and pu boards...
    but pu material can not be used on epoxy.

I've used the ding all super repair epoxy kits and they have all you need.

^yep, get the standard ding all epoxy and you're good. I've done several repairs on epoxy and they were fairly easy and came out great (even though you're supposed to be able to get a glossy look with that kit, I always sanded mine out).

If you already have some fiberglass fabric lying around and can find the ding all epoxy fiberfill in the little plastic bottle, you might be able to get away with that

Thank you guys!

KB- to what extent is the nose cracked? I've got a stick with a slight one so I'll stay tuned to see how yours turns out. I've glassed rails, tails, and decks but not yet a nose. I may just chop the end square then seal it up as all I've heard is that a pointed nose has no actual mechanical function.

As stated, the ding all stuff is fine. Be sure to prep the area well... sand the surrounding area with 80 grit. Really rough it up and be sure to remove all of the surface material to get to the "fresh" epoxy under it. Keep your greasy hands off. A DNA wipe with a clean shop towel just prior to any application... laminating, hotcoating... is a good way to make sure you have no surface contamination if there's any question.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    I may just chop the end square then seal it up as all I've heard is that a pointed nose has no actual mechanical function.
    You heard right. But depending on how much you plan on chopping off, it may or man not be what you want it to look like in the end... specifically, an unfoiled block at the tip.

Don't saw it off !!! Take it to a professional to get fixed. It's always worth it if you have a decent board. Firewires are super expensive so I'd def take it to a pro although it is sometimes are to find ding guys that work with epoxy. If you are near the outerbanks, Scott and Curtis at Natural Art are quite the pros.

dropped it off at a shop, figure i throw them some business..thanks for the input.

pamlico...regrettably not near there, but been in the shop a handful of times.

So just picked my board up today and went out, planned on staying in the water til dark...not much out here, but whatever...after about 15 minutes the patch job that the guy did fall the f$@k off.

$70 dollars later, I'm back in the same sh!t!

Some days it just ain't your day...