LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: River surfing?

Hybrid View

River surfing?

So as some of you may remember I started a thread a while ago about moving to the Pacific NW for better a better outdoors lifestyle. It then led to debates about shark attacks and hipsters and which regional cuis- oh wait, that was a different one. Anyway, I recently talked to someone in Colorado who extended a tempting job offer.

The area has everything I'd want (mountains, great beer scene, climbing, hiking) except for surfing. But I've seen a lot of stuff about this river surfing now, and wondering if anyone's tried it. You think it'd scratch the itch? And besides...no sharks, right? As awesome as CO sounds, I'm still wary about having to give up surfing and the ocean, but this may be a solution to it all.

Doesn't look like it'd come close to working to scratch it. Watching the videos you have very limited movement and the water isnt too deep. For me surfing is the feeling of flying down the line or cutting whatever way you want in the wave whether it ends up with you eating sand or not, its still fun.

Hey bud I live in Co. near Vail, in spring we get some wicked holes to surf on the Colorado river. Summer we sup the upper Colorado. Late winter and late fall we travel to surf. South cal is only a 10 hr drive not so bad. Sure there is some really cool river videos of guys taking big drops over falls n such on sup s. I don't do that because I use it to train for when I go on trips. Broken bones don't do me any good in the ocean. Not a bad place to live. Good luck on your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeclimbing View Post
    South cal is only a 10 hr drive not so bad..
    This would make it a huge NO for me. 10 hours is very very very bad for a drive to surf!

Quote Originally Posted by dudeclimbing View Post
    Hey bud I live in Co. near Vail, in spring we get some wicked holes to surf on the Colorado river. Summer we sup the upper Colorado. Late winter and late fall we travel to surf. South cal is only a 10 hr drive not so bad. Sure there is some really cool river videos of guys taking big drops over falls n such on sup s. I don't do that because I use it to train for when I go on trips. Broken bones don't do me any good in the ocean. Not a bad place to live. Good luck on your choice.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Keep up practice and get to the coast when I can. I love surfing, but I also love the mountains just as much. Delaware is a pretty crappy place to live as an outdoors lover, and the surf here isn't even great to begin with. Especially now since they've dredged one of our two spots into oblivion and the other has just eroded all wrong over the course of this summer. I'll miss the occasional barrel ride...but honestly, it's pretty rare we'll have a day down here where that can actually happen.

I'm sure in a place like CO it'd be easy enough to meet some experienced rivermen to link up and get out there with. I've got some thinking to do.

I've never river surfed, but I do whitewater kayak. That could be a really good alternative to surfing during times when you can't make the 10 hour trip to the coast. You can get a whole used setup (boat, skirt, paddle, helmet, life jacket) off craigslist for less than $400. It's a blast. The only downside, you ALWAYS have to go with someone else who's good enough to pull you out of a potentially sketchy situation.

Ya that's fun too. Something to be said about standing upright.

^^^ agreed. The part I left out is that I recently sold all my kayaking gear to buy more surfing gear. There's no ideal substitute for surfing a real ocean wave.

Quote Originally Posted by mattybrews View Post
    So as some of you may remember I started a thread a while ago about moving to the Pacific NW for better a better outdoors lifestyle. It then led to debates about shark attacks and hipsters and which regional cuis- oh wait, that was a different one. Anyway, I recently talked to someone in Colorado who extended a tempting job offer.

The area has everything I'd want (mountains, great beer scene, climbing, hiking) except for surfing. But I've seen a lot of stuff about this river surfing now, and wondering if anyone's tried it. You think it'd scratch the itch? And besides...no sharks, right? As awesome as CO sounds, I'm still wary about having to give up surfing and the ocean, but this may be a solution to it all.
    ever thought of moving to central virginia? It's got mountains, rivers, lakes, a bunch of craft breweries, AND it's only a 3-4 hour drive to VB or the OBX. I'm living in charlottesville right now because of work, but I manage to meet my waterman's needs by fishing and kayaking when I can't get down to the beach. I'm sure there's some river waves around here too. Just gotta find them during the right season

Quote Originally Posted by vbhasnowaves View Post
    ever thought of moving to central virginia? It's got mountains, rivers, lakes, a bunch of craft breweries, AND it's only a 3-4 hour drive to VB or the OBX. I'm living in charlottesville right now because of work, but I manage to meet my waterman's needs by fishing and kayaking when I can't get down to the beach. I'm sure there's some river waves around here too. Just gotta find them during the right season
    I've lived in the Appalachians before...they're nice, but I'm definitely looking for bigger peaks than anything the east coast has to offer.