LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Juan, PR

Surfed La Ocho (also called parada ocho or bus stop 8) in December 1999. Had a great time! Paddle out is long, but worth it. I would go there again in a heartbeat!

If the winds are calm go to aviones. Fun peak left and right, real shallow on the paddle out and there is also a conveyor belt current. Bring your paddle game. When the locals yell dale', go, its yours.

Thanks everyone for your input... will def check out La Ocho early, then maybe get adventurous in the afternoon and try something else!

Cheers!

Hey Rodndtube,
    Looking for easy access. As mentioned, staying in Isla Verde, so looking to catch some easy waves in the morning, and in the afternoon once done with work. Only going to be a couple days, so stoke factor doesn't have to be out of this world, LOL. I mean, I am use to Cocoa, and S. FL waves, so call it what you will.

Hey Mac You'll be fine at la Ochoa. Just a little paddle out. Look into la pared to the east if ya got the time. It's a beach break with tubes if ur lucky. Make sure ya get some mofongo. It's a local dish. Have fun n don't work too hard.

Pine Grove (beach break) in Isla Verde is your easiest access. East of there in Piņones is Aviones but probably not your best bet for a number of reasons. Outside of Pine Grove (NW) outside the puntilla is a little outcropping that goes by various names. Some shallow coral but can be fun. This isn't the forgiving type shell reef that is in Satellite Beach La Ocho can be fun -- lots of peaks. There are other spots between Pine Grove and La Ocho but most of them are rather dirty water and higher probability of car damage (theft).

Respect the bodyboarders down in PR or you might be in for a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeclimbing View Post
    Hey Mac You'll be fine at la Ochoa. Just a little paddle out. Look into la pared to the east if ya got the time. It's a beach break with tubes if ur lucky. Make sure ya get some mofongo. It's a local dish. Have fun n don't work too hard.
    If you have time to drive east to Luquillo's La Pared then add a couple of hours for some real nice surfing and Island vibe at La Selva. Long walk in, don't leave valuable in the car or the beach. You won't be disappointed.

La Pared and Pine Grove are the two breaks that were my gremaso learning spots on my old Hobie 9'4".

LaOchoAFTERb.jpgHere you go...

Don't worry about waves while your there. Just pass the time by eating loads of empanadas and pincho's(you know, the chicken on a stick with a piece of bread) mmmmm... Worth the trip alone
    and go to the Lebanese bakery in Rincon, you wont be disappointed. Bring me back some girlfriend cake. Sh*t is good.
    But if your in the area, paddle out at Tres Palmas.. There always 23 footers breaking there. Its a popular Hindu vacation trap.
    But seriously, if theres not much surf, go snorkeling or diving.. for 3 months in 2005, I mapped out like 2 miles of Rincon's reef's from Dome's to Tres Palmas for the Surfrider foundation. Some awesome things to see, and it will give you a good understanding of bathymetry. Also there is some dope scuba out at Desecheo, that island you can see from shore in Rincon. Go with Taino Divers. They are some cool ass dudes. They told me some cool stories of scuba diving at night on mushrooms with sea turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by macgregorsmith View Post
    Don't worry about waves while your there. Just pass the time by eating loads of empanadas and pincho's(you know, the chicken on a stick with a piece of bread) mmmmm... Worth the trip alone
    and go to the Lebanese bakery in Rincon, you wont be disappointed. Bring me back some girlfriend cake. Sh*t is good.
    But if your in the area, paddle out at Tres Palmas.. There always 23 footers breaking there. Its a popular Hindu vacation trap.
    But seriously, if theres not much surf, go snorkeling or diving.. for 3 months in 2005, I mapped out like 2 miles of Rincon's reef's from Dome's to Tres Palmas for the Surfrider foundation. Some awesome things to see, and it will give you a good understanding of bathymetry. Also there is some dope scuba out at Desecheo, that island you can see from shore in Rincon. Go with Taino Divers. They are some cool ass dudes. They told me some cool stories of scuba diving at night on mushrooms with sea turtles.
    If you plan to do all of that you'd better speed read through the book, Derelict Junction.