LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: big waves?

Well PBJ is correct in that you should not be held down for a full 90 sec but I was unable to get a breath for at least that cause every time my head surfaced the next wave detonated on me either pushing me under (hence my frined thinking i was under the whole time) before I could get a breath or knocking the one I took out of me. Dawnpatrol has it bout right at around 30 seconds as probably the max hold down. The best bet is to see if you can not hold your breath for 30 seconds but exhale then try not to breath in for 30 seconds (harder than it sounds since breathing is an automatic reflex) as this is the likely outcome in big surf. You would not likely die or get seriously hurt in 10 ft EC surf but you may become a liability to others. Running is good and do lots of push up because broken leashes are common in larger surf and you need to be able to swim in all that soup. Best of luck and I hope we can actually get some 8-10 ft stuff to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by catmaster2 View Post
    for a normal 10ft east coast wave do you need to train for days like that and how long do you normally stay under for?
    What type of period are we talking about here? If it's on the shorter end then you've also got to contend with the next one coming in faster than usual. Although you're not likely getting the 8-10' on pure windswell.

Where are all the braddahs that said back last spring how little any physical training or athletic ability matters in surfing? Ahh...my first taste of the SI whipping post. Memories.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    What type of period are we talking about here? If it's on the shorter end then you've also got to contend with the next one coming in faster than usual. Although you're not likely getting the 8-10' on pure windswell.
    Dude I've been surfing the east side for 25 years. You'll NEVER get held under for more than one wave here. NEVER. It doesn't get big enough for that and take this period stuff with a grain of salt. All y'all are always talking "period" like you're a bunch of menstrating chicks.

Six seconds......8 seconds........man, it don't matter.

All y'all new-to-surfing types and the internet generations keep trying to over-complicate surfing.

This is not a science.

All y'all relax. Go with the flow. Stop trying to Nostradamus everything. You can't tame nature nor predict her. That is NOT what surfing is aboot.

its not the hold down, its the getting caught inside and getting beaten trying to get back out in a 5mm suit with cold ass water.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Dude I've been surfing the east side for 25 years. You'll NEVER get held under for more than one wave here. NEVER. It doesn't get big enough for that and take this period stuff with a grain of salt. All y'all are always talking "period" like you're a bunch of menstrating chicks.

Six seconds......8 seconds........man, it don't matter.

All y'all new-to-surfing types and the internet generations keep trying to over-complicate surfing.

This is not a science.

All y'all relax. Go with the flow. Stop trying to Nostradamus everything. You can't tame nature nor predict her. That is NOT what surfing is aboot.
    Naaaawwww mann...SEVEN. SEVENS THE NUMBER!! You can't even break a sweat in 6 second period!!!

PB&J, sage brah, I wasn't talking about holdovers in EC short period. It was the incessant beat down thereafter that pumpmaster just alluded to. I also mentioned the likelihood that if there's the famous 8-10' phenomenon occurring on the EC then it's likely from ground swell, no?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Naaaawwww mann...SEVEN. SEVENS THE NUMBER!! You can't even break a sweat in 6 second period!!!

PB&J, sage brah, I wasn't talking about holdovers in EC short period. It was the incessant beat down thereafter that pumpmaster just alluded to. I also mentioned the likelihood that if there's the famous 8-10' phenomenon occurring on the EC then it's likely from ground swell, no?
    I wasn't targeting you, Mr. Spicoli. You just provided the muse.

Everybody's got to chill and stop trying to anal-lyze everything. Mr. Miyagi never did.

It is what it is........No amount of speculation will change that.

Oh sh!t, Spicoli shot me a PM and tell me aboot your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    its not the hold down, its the getting caught inside and getting beaten trying to get back out in a 5mm suit with cold ass water.
    I will agree with you here.... cold water makes the waves seem about 3 feet bigger and the hold downs about 20 seconds longer. Dark, scary, freezing, huge east coast bombs.....ride them successfully and you can ride any wave.(Mavs,jaws,ships ect not included)

Images
    Oh not really.........

Actually, I've seen more larger days(quantity and quality) on our common low pressure wind swells.

But youse guys in your beloved Rhode Island rule the coast when it comes to hurricane swells. You guys get it bigger and youse guys get it better. And the rest of you, leave them be. If you don't frequent Rhode Island don't show up there during hurricane swells. Let them have it to themselves.

A lot of times in Jersey, on 'canes, it tops out at a size and just really starts getting squarer and more closed-out, not bigger. Powerful hurricane swells and beachbreaks don't really mix. That's a convention lost upon a great many people on here. We actually do better on Tropical Storm swells or bigger storms that stay AWAY from the coast.....well away.....well away........

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    I wasn't targeting you, Mr. Spicoli. You just provided the muse.

Everybody's got to chill and stop trying to anal-lyze everything. Mr. Miyagi never did.

It is what it is........No amount of speculation will change that.

Oh sh!t, Spicoli shot me a PM and tell me aboot your trip.
    Like those preschool teachers tell the kids that ***** cuz the chocolate chip cookies are gone and they're left with oatmeal, "you get what you get and be happy with it".

PB&J I'd have shott you a PM bouts the viaje but I recapped it a day or two ago on another thread here upon request. Check it out then fire away on PM with questions or various sagery.

Miagi just trimmed that bonsai brah. He know what was up. Wax on, wax off. Trim the tree. Dude revolutionized the aesthetician field. Invented the Brazilian. Talk about a Yoda.

Nice hyphenation btw!! I always see what you did there.